Duke Nukem Forever confirmed for May 3 in US and May 6 elsewhere, trailer released

Friday, 21st January 2011 15:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

dnf

Pigs really are flying now.

Gearbox has announced, that Duke Nukem: Forever will finally launch on May 3 in the US and May 6 elsewhere.

The date brings to an end a 13-year development cycle for one of the most-talked about games ever.

Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford first hinted at the news last night on Twitter.

“The moment fans all over the world have been waiting for is almost here,” said 2K boss, Christoph Hartmann. “May 3, 2011 marks Duke’s return as he unleashes his brash and brutally honest wit on the world. His return is going to be epic and one that will make video gaming history.”

“When I said goodbye to 3D Realms and the original Duke Nukem 3D team in 1997 and soon after founded Gearbox Software, I never in my wildest dreams imagined that a day like today would come,” said Gearbox president Randy Pitchford. “Today I am proud, humbled and even astounded to announce that the day is coming at last for all gamers to be a part of video game history: Duke Nukem Forever will launch worldwide this May.”

Following a period where it was thought that DNF had finally died a death, Gearbox announced it had taken over development of the title at PAX in Seattle last September.

It was further confirmed at the event that the Texas developer had taken over full IP control of the Duke Nukem franchise.

Pitchford explained to VG247′s Stephany Nunneley how he managed to salvage the game from what was previously made by 3DRealms. Read up on it here.

The shooter will release on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360. A couple new screens, game features, the packshots, and the trailer are below. Enjoy.

• Return of the King of All Shooters: He’s back, baby! The King of All Shooters returns in an explosive and action packed shooter that puts pedal to the metal and tongue firmly in cheek, among other places. Kick ass from the Vegas Strip to the Hoover Dam all while serenading your ears with your favorite Duke-isms.
  • Interact With the World, the Duke Way: Experience a fully interactive and immersive look into Duke’s world. Shoot hoops, lift weights, read adult magazines, draw crude messages on white boards or ogle one of the many beautiful women that populate Duke’s life; that is if you can pull yourself away long enough from kicking ass and taking names.
  • Kick-Ass Arsenal Brings Puts the F-U Into Fun: Obliterate enemies in style while giving them the Duke Nukem one finger salute. Prepare to shoot enemies in the face with a bad-ass

1. Psychotext

The end of days.

2. Anders

3. Callum

^^ lol

4. Wesker

@2:
    …when Activision stops milking the Call of Duty franchise.
    …when LucasArts stops milking the Star Wars franchise and returns to making GOOD games.

How ‘about those?

5. Anders

Yeah, the first one works.

6. Blerk

Did they say if there was going to be a demo? I can’t remember.

7. Johnny Cullen

It’s been hinted, but not confirmed.

8. Robo_1

Well that’s a good bit sooner than I thought. Cannot believe I’ll be playing DNF inside a few short months. Crazy times. lol

9. el duderino

this…is…happening…

10. frostquake

@Cullen

Do you know if Duke Nukem: Critical Mass for the PSP has been Canceled?? GameStop pulled it from sale on its website, now only showing DN:CM for DS.

11. NeoSquall

May 6 is my birthday! O_O

I will never have a better birthday present! Ever!

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I’d think it’d be pretty easy to give us the demo they last used, no?

13. theevilaires

Gran Turismo 5: Nov 24, 2010

Duke Nukem Forever: May 3, 2011

Garratt’s VG247 ignore button: the year 2012 when the world ends and everyone can finally ignore each other :D

14. DSB

That’s almost in time for my birthday. Thanks Pitchfork!

@13 Awesome. Funny because true.

15. DuckOfDestiny

@ Yes there will be a demo. Everybody who bought the Game of the year edition of Borderlands will get early access to it.

Also I’m disappointed, I was hoping they were going to release it on April fools as was planned before 3D realms shut down.

16. DSB

@15 Just to clarify, everyone who vacuumed up the DLC up and to General Knoxx will get it too. You don’t have to have bought the collected GOTY.

17. theevilaires

Anders said:

“Great, now the gaming business’ll need to find a new equivalent to “when hell freezes over”.

ummmm I got an idea…..How about Garratt’s Ignore Button. Spread the news around the net that the next game related equivalent to “when hell freezes over” is the ignore function for VG247.com. Quick someone make a N4G article about it. I can see the headlines now.

Kotaku: Is VG247 ignore button the new joke on the block

Joystiq: We have GT, We’re getting DNF, now where is VG247 ignore button

18. Blerk

Ha ha! Just seen the box art! :-D

19. Patrick Garratt

@17 – I’m going to have an update on that soon that’s going to make you laugh.

20. Patrick Garratt

Trailer added. “We’re fucking bringing it.” Amazing scenes.

21. Erthazus

I want to say one thing: Graphics looks like Last Generation 100%

It’s Doom 3 graphics AT BEST. This is Gearbox polishing? =\

22. Unlimax

18@ Sorry to say that .. but it looks a bit (Gay) !

23. Erthazus

I’m so dissapointed seing these visuals.

It’s XBOX 1 era and it should be the game that could redefine the graphics last generation, now it’s super outdated.

Everything else, well we will see. Looks like Duke.

24. AHA-Lambda

whats sad is this has came out before half life 2 episode 3

i expect a decent game not great and nothing worth waiting 13 years for

25. TheWulf

The box art is… weeeeell then, isn’t it?

Though I won’t lie. It got a chuckle out of me. The positioning of the gun is especially spectacular.

This looks absolutely awful in the best possible B-Movie ways, so it might actually be okay. Though I still can’t wrap my mind around this actually happening. It seems like such a turning point.

What’ll really blow my mind is if it’s actually fun.

26. Gheritt White

DAY FUCKING ONE, BITCHES!!!!!

27. Erthazus

I still think they made mistake by not making this game from scratch using old design documents on the new engine. Maybe a typical Unreal Engine 3…

this just won’t do it. Critics and even gamers won’t like it much. Duke Nukem forever can save only Gameplay and humour (humour is already there and much better then in Bulletstorm)… Graphics and sound is outdated as hell.

I’m not sold for this at all, but i will play it because i wanted it in the past. It’s more of a Nostalgia fix, but thats about it.

28. Gheritt White

@ Erthazus: That’s ‘cos you weren’t there the first time round, asshat.

29. Crysis

@Erth, your focus is too heavily fixated on the graphics, sure it’s not the prettiest, but hopefully it’ll make up for it with excellent game play, on a side note: would you buy a pretty game with crappy game play? All too often you act as if graphics are the only important thing in a game.

30. Gekidami

^He’s a PC fanboy, visuals is all the PC has left.

31. Erthazus

@29, i’m judging a trailer. I can’t judge a trailer by the gameplay.
    To talk something about the gameplay you need to experience it.

@Geki,
    “^He’s a PC fanboy, visuals is all the PC has left.”

Your Sony butt hurts again over Killzone 3 graphics?

32. StolenGlory

This is Duke.

Fuck the graphics.

Embrace the humour.

Have a good time.

And don’t forget, to hail to the FUCKING KING.

33. Xzeth

Heh, after seeing it, this came to mind: http://satwcomic.com/anything-but-that

34. Gadzooks!

I cant wait for this game. Duke simply rules, end of story.

Couldnt give a shit how long its been in development or what engine it uses as long as its smooth enough and the gameplay and humor are there. Those are the only things that matter.

35. StolenGlory

@34 Completely and utterly agree.

36. Callum

LOL Erth! People like you tried to make the game in the first place, hence why it took 12 FUCKING YEARS.

Gearbox have done a fucking brilliant job piecing this together, and they’ve done it with a big fucking grin on their faces I bet.

Day one, no exception. It’s time to kick ass and chew bubble gum… and I’m all outta gum.

37. Callum

I swore a lot in my previous post, I apologise profusely. It’s the effect the Duke has on me.

Fuck YES!

38. theevilaires

Funny ass trailer Duke is back! :D Good times are coming. Graphics do look weak but hopefully the gameplay will do more than justice. We waited 6 years for GT5, 12 years for this, and two thousand and eleven years for Garratt’s update……I’m GONNA SAY IT! DAY FUCKING 1 BUY.

Would have been kick ass if this was a launch title for next gen though. Its been this long you might as well right?

39. TheWulf

@30: So am I. That was completely uncalled for.

The PC has a thriving freeware/indie/open source industry that all prides itself on gameplay over visuals. Remember Super Meat Boy? That started on the PC. Not to mention all those casual games which tend to launch on the PC first – like PopCap’s entire range. And let’s not forget Interactive Fiction, too.

And Guild Wars 2 is being built on art direction rather than technical prowess. It won’t require a high-end graphics card but it still looks lovely. Art is more important than graphics in the opinion of this PC gamer.

Visuals are all that matter to some PC gamers, but please don’t paint us all into that group. And certainly don’t try to imply that that’s all the PC has.

Eh?

I know you were just replying to Erth… and a lot of PC-focused mainstream sites may echo his views, but there’s so much more to the PC than that.

40. Callum

@ Wulf, WE know that. Your preaching to the choir here, it’s Erth that puts graphics above and beyond what they should be.

That’s his choice though of course, if you only want to play pretty things then who am I to judge.

41. Crysis

I just stick to RTS for pc gaming, everything else belongs on my PlayStation, shooters, sandbox, racers, rpg, I guess that i just prefer the console experience for these genres.

42. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I can’t believe I’m about to admit that, this game definitley has me interested that it’ll probably be a day 1 buy.

43. theevilaires

Its been in development for 12 years! We all played Duke Nukem64. Back then the 64 was the XBOX (LMAO) with FPS. Every gamer in here owes it to the legacy of Duke Nukem so that this series can once again flourish like it did so many years ago to buy this day 1. Just for the laughs lets make Duke Nukem out sell COD!

WHO’S WITH ME!

44. StolenGlory

I’ll be there day 1 TEA :)

45. TheWulf

@40: Fair enough. Sorry about that.

But yeah, I… don’t entirely see the worth in wanting to play technologically proficient things, either. And the thing is, it’s not just pretty, it’s hardware… what’s the right word for this? I’d say fetishism but that doesn’t feel/sound right. I don’t know, but it’s obsessing over the capabilities of hardware.

I think that whether the end result is pretty or not isn’t relevant, so long as it has super high resolution textures, high poly models, and every shader known to graphics card-kind. It’s more about that.

This is why I brought up Guild Wars 2.

You can make things really visually beautiful without needing high-end graphics, and what I got from Erth is that he isn’t talking about pretty, he just wants to give his DX11 graphics card a run for its money.

But this graphics arms race means nothing when you can have games that look as pretty as Guild Wars 2 that will run on really quite old hardware. Guild Wars 1 still looks amazing to me, but that’s all in art direction.

And to be honest, I don’t see too much wrong with the art direction of Duke Nukem, here. It fits the sort of game.

46. theevilaires

I’m serious Stolen :D I want this game to shit all over COD. Duke deserves his come back to be epic. All everyone has to do starting FEB 1st is save $1 a day until May 6 and you’ll have $95 to buy this $60 game.

I know everyone wants to see the fall of COD. Lets do it with Duke Nukem as the victor. Lets all put our fanboy disagreements aside for now and join together as GAMERS and make this happen. All it takes is $1 (not even that more like 75 cent) a day. If you don’t do it you’re just an ass and don’t deserve hands to play games.

47. DuckOfDestiny

From what I played when the were showing the game in London, the graphics are better than in this trailer, not Crysis 2 quality, but it doesn’t look that bad.

But who gives a shit about the graphics, were finally getting Duke Nukem Forever!

[Edit]

@theevilaires

I agree with you, Duke deserves a fucking comeback, he needs to kick the fucking door down and give COD and swift kick in the balls. I just hope people haven’t lost faith in Duke and pass up on this game, because it’s exactly what we’ve been waiting for these past 13 years and it’d be a shame if all those people who were so excited to play it all those years ago just turn around and say “Nah, I’ll just stick to Halo.”

48. TheWulf

@47: Yep, I agree!

I’m… far more excited by the inclusion of pugilism than I should be. I don’t know, but that makes me happy. I’ve played unarmed in so many RPGs, that and other non-deadly means. It seems so many games are guns of doom and/or swords of +5 death.

Being able to get up close and personal with an alien to punch it in the crotch is oddly appealing to me. But I’m weird.

49. DarkElfa

I stopped giving a shit about this game in the 90′s, when it was actually relevant. Everything that Duke made famous, sex, violence and absurdity has been surpassed several times over.

I bet my great grandpa thought the Charleston was scandalous at one time too. Duke’s day has passed and releasing it now is just stupid, hell, the hype for this game pretty much died while half of VG247′s readership was in preschool. All that’s left now is pity and curiosity and the fact that the original creators are no longer involved makes the whole thing pointless. Imagine if the LOTR had to be finished by Tolkien’s Son. It wouldn’t really have been the LOTR, would it?

50. DuckOfDestiny

The funny thing is with Duke, he was just a parody of those 80′s and 90′s clichéd action heroes, which became so common that he just became another cliché himself. But for so long now we’ve just had shooter after shooter, stuck so far up their own arses, trying to keep a serious face that seeing Duke has actually become a breath of fresh air all over again. I’ll take Duke over any other shooter releasing this year without a doubt.

Also, the original creators are still involved. It may not be the full development team, but the key people behind the game were picked up by Gearbox along with the franchise. Also not forgetting, Gearbox is made up of quite a lot of people who worked on the old Duke games.

51. theevilaires

LMAO remember Last action hero the movie. Was Duke created in his image!?

Notice the orange shirt! LMAO! :D

52. DSB

Trailer is win. That brings back a lot of memories from the time when gaming had balls.

@51 He was pretty much made in the image of every tacky action movie hero ever made. The Duke first appeared in 1991, so for that movie it would be the other way around.

Arnold Schwarzenegger with his velvety voice and proto-nazi accent ain’t got nothin’ on the Duke.

Although he did rape and molest quite a few women back in the day. Hmmmm.

He looks a lot more like Dolph Lundgren though, seen here immolating a unicorn, exactly like Duke would:

And here:

53. Don_Gokou

FINALMENTE CABRONES !!!!! DUKE NUKEM RETURNS
    isn´t that the music that used in the SCOTT PILGRIM trailer? LOL

starts at 1:20

54. DuckOfDestiny

Yes, It’s called ‘Invaders must die’ By The Prodigy.

Link – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWlvLwLv1f4

55. DSB

For more “Invaders Must Die” see http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/21/report-ea-to-release-360-exclusive-crysis-2-demo-on-january-25/

At least The Prodigy is getting some royalties out of the games industry.

56. Isaaclarke37

Finally the king of the world is back.
    I can’t believe this, this will be one of the best but even maybe the best year in gaming history with a lot of IPS coming out this year.
    Hail to the king baby!
    My most favorite badass classic game protagonist is back and this time it’s for real.

57. AHA-Lambda