Report: Sledgehammer and Infinity Ward co-developing MW3 for November release

Thursday, 20th January 2011 19:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

sledgehammer

According to a report over on the LA Times, Activision has tasked Sledgehammer with co-development duties on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 with Infinity Ward. This is according to “people familiar with the situation,” and will add to burgeoning rumors surrounding the next installment in the monster shooter franchise.

Still not officially announced by Activision, the game is reportedly “well into production and is expected to come out in November.”

LA Times sources have said Sledgehammer and Infinity Ward are “equally sharing duties of producing the single-player portion of the game,” and confirmed the rumor that Raven Software is working on the online multiplayer portion.

Unconfirmed reports last year had Raven working on map packs for Treyarch’s Black Ops, the first of which is slated for a February 1 release and called First Strike.

According to the source, borrowing the Sledgehammer team has delayed the Call of Duty spin-off game it was rumored to be working on, in order to keep Modern Warfare 3 on schedule since the firing of Infinity Ward heads Vince Zampella and Jason West and the employee exodus that followed.

Earlier in the month, a job listing for a community manager was posted by Activision, seeking someone to help “build and drive the studio community management effort for Sledgehammer and the next Call of Duty game.”

Activision has confirmed previously that Infinity Ward was working on a new Call of Duty title.

1. Moonwalker1982

OMFG…i can’t wait.

Nah, i can…i don’t care at all. Don’t get me wrong, i enjoy Black Ops alot..but exactly how many of these games do we need?

2. EscoBlades

“People familiar with the situation.”

I read that as “trusted inside sources”

Who the hell is the LA Times talking to?

3. theevilaires

I was playing COD4 last night and some punk hacked F4A. I’m so fucking pissed man. The best FPS ever hacked and unplayable. Every time I tried to run I ran like the flash. So I went to sabotage and that wasn’t hacked.

Can’t SONY or Acti do something about this BS!?

BTW who the fuck are sledgehammer? I’m not familiar with their work I don’t think.

4. Stephany Nunneley

TEA – http://www.vg247.com/2009/11/17/activision-announces-sledgehammer-games-condrey-and-schofield-appointments/

Read that.

5. AHA-Lambda

wow! I honestly am kinda excited and surprised at this =D

then again sledgehammer helping out after IW was gutted half its staff makes sense but i didnt see it coming

EDIT: WAIT?! It’s a THREE team effort? Raven aswell! O_O

PS: does a map pack being released really confirm the rumour raven made it?

6. EscoBlades

Everyone makes out that IW had next to no staff left. They re-hired to fill up most of the positions. Still, its an opportunity for the “green” Sledgehammer to work alongside some veterans with regards to making a CoD title.

Raven in charge of the MP though….that’s just odd.

7. AHA-Lambda

ok if that is true then Zamepella and West might be ****ed O_O

8. theevilaires

WOW thanks Steph, I’m starting to believe E.A. and Acti are the only 3rd party publishers left. Everyone gets mad and goes to the other side. It seems childish really. Sleeping with the enemy type of stuff.

9. LOLshock94

basicly its infinity ward who are making cause wasnt there only 19 people out of a possible 70 people that left the studio

10. OrbitMonkey

@1 At least 1 a year for the next 10 years :)

Off topic, anyone play Modern Combat Domination, the psn download?

11. MegaGeek1

I told my COD enthusiast friend at work about this news, assuming he would be excited. He said, and I quote “Are you fucking serous? How many of these games am I going to have to buy?”

The fall of the COD franchise has begun!

12. theevilaires

@10 yes its shit. It can be fun but needs more polish. Its a great low class FPS is what I’m trying to say. I almost bought it too….then I went in the other tab and saw they had a demo….thank GOD I did that.

13. XxT_I_K_IxX_PR

After the great support IW and ACTI are giving to the PS3 version and blaming themselves of the problems their game has practically since launch… I CAN’T WAIT!/sarcasm never buying an ACTIVISION game again.

14. Moonwalker1982

Yeah i just checked out Modern Combat as well, what a original name for a game by the way…lol. Nah it really wasn’t anything special if you ask me.

15. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I’m pretty tired of this Call of Duty nonsense. And this is coming from someone who’s played them all and respects the name.

It is CLEARLY time for a new game engine. Actually, I take that back. wow. I just realized, while ME the gamer/consumer wants a new game engine becuase i’ve finally recognized I’ve been forking over my money for the exact same game with different backgrounds/scenarios, and i want something new, that “next-gen WOW” feeling again. I know a new game engine would totally kick ass and launch the series forward which is what I think it needs.

HOWEVER…

I just relalized that from Activisions perspective, they clearly DON’T need a new engine. In fact, from their perspective, they don’t need to change anything. They just have to keep cranking out the same COD variations they’ve been doing, and as long as they keep making millions, they will do just that.

Sad. Very sad.

16. DSB

Sounds like a clusterfuck of cosmic proportions.

Raven shouldn’t be working on anything related to CoD, and having two studios sharing responsibilities for the rest of the game just sounds like a logistical exercise that can’t be pulled off.

I would’ve preferred it if they took the time it takes to rebuild Infinity Ward properly and just left it to the guys who know the game the best.

@11 Some enthusiast to miss the fact that there’s been 7 games in 8 years.

@13 Hah, for that very reason I’d say it’s a relief that they didn’t add Treyarch to the list. Maybe the PS3 and PC version will actually work this time?

@15 It’s definitely showing it’s age right now, but at least up until MW2, excluding the Treyarch games, they were improving on the formula. Installing the old games would confirm as much.

17. artdafoo

Holy shit ! Im going down to Gamestop right now and pre-order !! Who gives a fuck ? Screw Acti and their games. BF3 here I come !

18. Anders

Makes sense. By co-developing it with Infinity Ward, they can put the IW logo on the box.

19. G1GAHURTZ

It’ll be interesting to see what IW manage to come up with, and whether or not they can improve on MW2, or even BO for that matter…

This time next November, we should theoretically have at least some teasers and basic info as to what Respawn are working on.