Bethesda’s Hines: “I don’t see a demo for RAGE on the cards”

Thursday, 20th January 2011 17:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

rage6

Wanting to play a RAGE demo before it launches in September? Chances are looking slim, Jim.

Bethesda PR VP Pete Hines has told VG247 that, whilst not fully ruling it out, a demo for RAGE is very unlikely.

“It’s something we look at for every game and we do it where possible and where appropriate,” Hines told us in a phone interview today.

“But to be perfectly honest, from a technical standpoint, it isn’t always possible. I don’t see a demo for RAGE on the cards.”

Hines added: “I guess it’s not a zero percent chance, but it’s somewhere down on that end of the spectrum.”

Back at QuakeCon 2009, id boss Todd Hollenshead told us that while a multiplayer beta wasn’t likely, a single-player demo for PC and Mac could be.

RAGE releases on September 13 in the US and September 15 in Europe for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Dr.Ghettoblaster

No demo? Sucks but, ok.

No multiplayer beta? Closed even? Really?

2. AHA-Lambda

for a new ip? =s

3. Shubb9

I’m grumpy about this as well!

4. Demiath

I’m not sure just how much the name “id” carries on its own in this day and age where the shooter genre seems synonymous with just two franchises – CoD and Halo – and the overall art design of Rage is bound to be compared to Borderlands.

My advice to id: get people familiar with your game. Trade show appearances, Game Informer covers and the fact that you developed Doom simply isn’t enough anymore…

5. Thalius

this doesnt make a game when a dev comes out and says we wont make a demo, its like they dont want to let on that the game sucks or something.

6. theevilaires

Killzone 3 looks better.

7. Gheritt White

I respectfully disagree. Other than Duke Nukem, this is the only FPS coming out this year that’s grabbed my interest.

8. theevilaires

Duke Nukem does look good and fun :D The graphics look insane and that was running on 360 hardware I believe. Rage to me seems like a cross between Fallout3 and Borderlands. Which isn’t a bad thing but come on now…wheres the originality?

Its going to be interesting to see these showdowns.

Killzone 3 VS Crysis 2
    Rage VS Brink
    Duke Nukem VS Modern Warfare 3
    HALO HD remake VS New MOH?
    Resistance 3 VS Bulletstorm

9. Stardog

It seems like it’s a bit open-worldy with hubs linking it all together, so maybe a demo is impossible.

10. klewd

This game is going to take up ridiculously huge space, so it figures there’s no demo (people may not be so interested in downloading a 5-6gb demo).

11. OrbitMonkey

The game is huge, but they could of maybe put together a small dungeon level & race to give you a feel for it surely? Still looking forward to this though, hope it delivers.

12. DSB

Who needs a demo for a game that’s going to be this hyped, and arguably reap the rewards from more than one or two overexcited reviewers?

If you create enough of a stir, there’s absolutely no reason to spend time and money on a demo.

13. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Judging from the pictures, video, and developers history, this game is going to be fucking amazing.

No hype, demo, or over excited reviewer is going to change that simple fact.

14. TheWulf

That’s a shame. Consider: PC owners will want a demo in order to benchmark this to ensure it runs on their computer, since minimum requirements tend to be made from prime cuts of utter nonsense these days, don’t they?

The sad part of this is that it’s encouraging piracy. Many will have to pirate the game to see if it even works for them. I mean, it’s not like we can buy the game from Steam and then return it if it doesn’t work for us, is it?

I think that benchmarking demos at the very least are a total necessity for the PC.

15. Kuwabara

theres no need for a demo. Its a AAA game

16. HauntaVirus

^TRUE
    I’ve already pre-ordered, this is just one of those games I’m sure I will enjoy.