Molyneux confirmed for GDC Lifetime Achievement award

Wednesday, 19th January 2011 15:50 GMT By Johnny Cullen

petermolyneux4

ThinkServices has just confirmed that Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux is to get the Lifetime Achievement award at GDC in March.

He’ll pick up his award at the Game Developers Choice Awards on March 2.

Molyneux began life in the industry in 1987 by founding Bullfrog Productions. There, he created popular franchises like Theme Park, Populous and Syndicate. The studio was then taken over by EA in 1995 before Molyneux left two years later in 1997.

He then went on to find Lionhead Studios in the same year. Since then, he’s made some of the best known franchises in gaming including Fable and Black & White.

The studio was acquired by Microsoft Game Studios in 2006.

“Peter is a remarkable asset to the games industry, and truly embodies everything that the Lifetime Achievement Award represents,” said GDC director, Megan Scavio.

“We’re proud to honor someone who has had such a profound impact on the industry, through his boundless enthusiasm and profound talent in creating games about choice and interactivity that the entire world loves to play.”

ThinkServices also announced that Double Fine boss Tim Schafer will host the GDCAs for a third time following stints in 2007 and 2009.

GDC takes place between February 28-March 5.

1. Erthazus

Not deserved at all in my opinion. He is not at the level of John Carmack, Miyamoto or Kojima.

He was good, but now, he is not.

Even Gabe Newell don’t have lifetime achievement award if i’m not mistaken.

2. LePlatypus

Gabe got one; last year, he teased Portal 2 during it.

3. Johnny Cullen

Gabe got the Pioneer award, which is still to be announced for this year. It was Carmack that got Lifetime Achievement last year.

In other news, this is well deserved. Props to the Molynator.

4. AHA-Lambda

oh god not that prick -_-

5. Erthazus

@2, Gabe got PIONEER award and not lifetime achievement award. Thats the big difference.

Lifetime achievement award – when you pushed and succeed in every aspect of the gaming development.
    Molyneux is not even close to what John Carmack did for example or what Gabe Newell did with only pioneer award.

@JC, “this is well deserved. Props to the Molynator.”

For what?

6. Blerk

I know it’s terribly unfashionable to like him, but I do. So well done, Peter!

7. theevilaires

@5 +1000 exactly! Where the hell is Milo? :D and Fable series…(do you really wanna talk about jokes)

This is the industry way of saying shut up and retire already you old euro bat.

8. Blerk

Man, Peter must’ve shagged a lot of mums.

9. Johnny Cullen

:D

10. Psychotext

“For what?”

Populous,
    Powermonger,
    Syndicate,
    Theme Park,
    Magic Carpet,
    Dungeon Keeper,
    Black & White,
    Fable

That’s the thing about “lifetime achievement awards”. They tend to focus on someone’s achievements over their lifetime, rather than any recent creative downturn.

Here’s some of the other winners.

2010: John Carmack
    2009: Hideo Kojima
    2008: Sid Meier
    2007: Shigeru Miyamoto
    2006: Richard Garriott
    2005: Eugene Jarvis
    2004: Mark Cerny
    2003: Gunpei Yokoi
    2002: Yuji Naka
    2001: Will Wright

I imagine Gabe Newell will win it at some point. Though as mentioned he has the Pioneer Award.

11. Khakimzhan

i have even registered for writing something like you wrote – kudos to you! It is really outrageous how people dismissive about all lifetime(!) achievements of a man, just because they don’t like his last 2-3 works…

12. Massiveslag

Well done Pete. I’ve worked with you in both your studios, and you fully deserve this award for the shift you’ve put in to bring games to the masses.

Quite how anyone can belittle his contribution to the industry globally is beyond me. Oh that’s right, he works for Microsoft, and we all know that Bill Gates and Paul Allen spit roasted TEA’s mum while he watched, hence his hatred of anything Microsoft.

Again, well done Pete; don’t go changing.

13. LOLshock94

has the guy who made odd world won anything?

14. Massiveslag

Lorne Lanning? Bags of awards for the games, but I don’t think anything like a lifetime achievement award. I seem to remember a Wired magazine award at some point.

15. Dralen

I’m guessing they’re running out of people to give it to then.

16. theevilaires

Never played any of those except Fable and even if those other games were ok once Fable crosses the mind as last read thing on that (somewhat mediocre) list of yours it loses all the steam you were trying to build up. Like I said give it to him so he can retire and finally shut up.

@8 and 10 I can’t imagine a guy like him could. The second he’d start talking any women would dry up faster than water in the Sahara desert. Look at him…..he looks like the 60 old virgin in that pic…..starring your child down at the playground :D

(I’m starting to think Milo was canceled for other reasons) :D

17. Massiveslag

And what contribution have you made to the games industry @16? What gives you the right to bad mouth a man who has been at the forefront of games development since probably before you were born?

As for your insinuations of paedophilia, perhaps you should look a little closer to home. You clearly have been the subject of a spot of ‘Uncle Bill’s secret’.

18. theevilaires

^ I’m just having a little fun with the guys weirdness a bit. You’re the one defending the guy passionately here :D You sure on your afternoon lunch breaks you two didn’t wander off to an unknown location at the studio you both worked at together admittedly.

You’re showing all of us here a Massiveflag buddy :D . You’re trying too hard to attack me for suspicious reasons. He was your co worker…not your love interest…..am I right?

Oh and I make very good contributions to the games industry as I’m one of the many millions who keeps guys like Peter employed by M$ by buying his games. Unlike many people here on this site I only buy brand new and most likely its full retail price. So yea…… playing his games and being very disappointed almost every time I say I have a right to voice my *(opinion)* about the guy.

But thanks for throwing up that Massiveflag about yourself when it comes to you and Peter Molyneux….Question, is your real name Milo by any chance? :D

19. AHA-Lambda

@17 – jesus christ have we really degenerated into the argument of “you cant say this movie is bad because you’re not a film director” logic?

I don’t need to know how to bake a cake to tell you it tastes like shit!

My opinion of peter molyneux doesnt even come into this but GOD what retarded logic!

20. Psychotext

“So yea…… playing his games and being very disappointed almost every time I say I have a right to voice my *(opinion)* about the guy.”

“Never played any of those except Fable”

21. Khakimzhan

20 – spot on. it seems we are having classic case of sony-boy)))

Molyneux is truly one of the founders of our medium, so it is really hard to argue whether he deserved this award or not. Especially considering that this has been decided by his colleagues! not some fan-boys, from either camps…

22. Massiveslag

How is it retarded logic, particularly when tea wasn’t just slating his games, but his right to get a lifetime achievement award? Are you suggesting that he doesn’t deserve it? Hiding behind your right as a ‘consumer’ to belittle people’s contributions to the hobby that you spend so much of your life doing and talking about.

And as for that bullshit that you make a contribution to the games industry by buying games, what a load of righteous crap. I take a shit everyday, but does that mean I contribute to the continued development of the sewage industry? And you’ve only ever played Fable by your own admission, so are clearly full of it. All i’ve ever heard you do is belittle anything and everything. Besides you’re nothing but a Sony fanboi, that’s right with an ‘i’ at the end, with a little heart above it for the dot. Because. You. Are. So. Gay.

True it’s your opinions, and you’re entitled to those, however ill-concieved, but you’re wrong. That is all.

23. theevilaires

as in the series Fable, which include 3 and all which pretty much are over hype spin by the man himself. 3 strikes and you’re out and those were his last attemps so if he only got worst as a game dev then yea….no award.

Can’t teach an old dog new tricks so its time to send take old Peter out back and send him to doggy heaven retirement.

I love it when you guys take one of my sentence out of a 4 mini paragraph rant and try to prove something, but fail so hard. You should know by now I’m the master of twisting it right back on you….but you’re euros, you don’t learn that quick. Ain’t that right ol’ Peter boy. :D

24. theevilaires

@22 you’re right I am Gay :D and its nice to see after your little hussy fuss you recognize its my *OPINION*

P.S. this has nothing to do with SONY or M$ so I don’t know why you bring fanboy into this. I’m talking about the man Peter Molyneux, not the corporate clown that he is Peter Molyneux. Theres a difference.

25. Massiveslag

We’re British mate, not ‘euros’. Still speaking the Queens English over there are you?

The only thing you’re the master of twisting is a hard dick into your arse.

26. tenthousandgothsonacid

@MassiveHomophobe You make me embarrassed to be British.

Now bugger off, do your homework and stop spouting such homophobic bullshit.

27. Massiveslag

I’m not bloody homophobic at all. My use of the word ‘gay’ is purely in the figurative sense, i.e your shoes are so gay.

There’s plenty to be embarrassed about to be British; our appalling government, ridiculous pay and working hours, the lack of tax breaks in the games industry, Benny Hill. But defending one of our great British institutions in Peter Molyneux is not one of them. So stop getting your knickers in a twist you big tart. :)

28. theevilaires

^ I guess that same ideology covers James Bond too huh :P

29. Massiveslag

No mate, and to be honest ideology isn’t really the right word. I’m guessing the Queen’s English is slipping over in the colonies.

Admittedly the later James Bond’s with the terrible Daniel Craig are not very good, but you can’t honestly say that the Sean Connery ers Bond’s aren’t great pieces of entertainment.

Besides you’re only jealous because the states have no true action heroes. The only ones you’ve had can barely string a sentence together or are Austrian. :)

30. Psychotext

Die Hard (pre 4.0) says STFU!

:D

31. Detale

Chuck Norris just saw your comment and is on his way to your house right now :D

32. theevilaires

Oh my Lord, I just youtubed each and every one of those games listed above and you have to be on crack if you think this guy deserves this award.

Populous – I feel asleep after watching 8 sec of a 10 min gameplay vid.

Powermonger
    Syndicate
    Theme Park
    Magic Carpet
    Dungeon Keeper

are all like the same game. WTF!?

Black and White…..WTF was he smoking when he made that game!? Play as GOD?! Know wonder you euros are so fucked up in the head and snot nosed. What is wrong with you people. I really feel sorry for Europeans I really do. Your society is so twisted its not even funny. And I thought Americans were fucked up in their heads.

Then of course the fable series which still again is sorta like the other games but brings you down to Earth from wanna be GOD like stature and puts you into modern game play as 3rd person and closer up…..guess someone liked Zelda 64 a little too much than the rest of us eh ;) ….it did start off with a little boy laying in bed :D
    This Molyneux scares me….seriously.

Can someone please explain to me why the game is called Black and White and not World of Creation or Creator or something that doesn’t raise racial alarm? None of those games he has been apart of comes close to the brilliance of a game like Metal Gear. To put this guy in the same league as Kojima is unprofessional and wrong.

I’m not saying I’m not appreciative for what he’s tried to do by creating games for the industry. I honor him for that and applaud him for his attempts but placing him amongst legends of the industry is wrong and is only being praised by the euro community because he’s a euro. Its like blacks voting for Obama because he’s black. Its not right. You don’t put people on pedestals who don’t deserve to be there. Molyneux is one of those people.

People like Ted Price or David Jaffe deserve this award before Molyneux. Like I said before they’re giving it to him because he’s going to retire soon. This guy looks older than dirt and the stuff he says makes no sense and are often made up ideas of what he wishes he could do rather than what he is capable of. If you’re offended by what I said I don’t give a damn. Its my opinion, but he’s lucky I wasn’t in the deciding factor because he would have never gotten my vote.

33. Psychotext

are all like the same game. WTF!?

This is clueless even for you. Did you start gaming 5 years ago or something?

Also, Ted Price for Spyro, Ratchet & Resistance? Really? David Jaffe for Twisted Metal & God of War? I know you’re a Sony fanboy, but good god…

Now I know you’re not for real. Especially given your racist comment regarding Obama.

34. theevilaires

You keep saying Sony fanboy…..where is the Sony fanboy….cause I said Ted Price and David Jaffe? Huh? They are great devs. I guess I can’t say Kazunori Yamauchi either right cause he has SONY ties too….. lets say

Yu Suzuki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (FROM SEGA…FOR THE NOOBS)
    Who has worked on:

Shenmue II
    Virtua Fighter 4
    Propeller Arena
    Virtua Cop 3
    OutRun 2

and many more.

Funny I’m the guy who owns two XBOX360s and still considered a Sony fanboy….yea right.

Edit: What racist comment regarding Obama? Its a well know fact most Black Americans only voted for him cause he is Black. That doesn’t discredit him for his job he’s doing and thats not racist.

35. Psychotext

lol, like owning two 360s has any relevance.

But yes, that pick is far better. A dev with some pedigree at least rather than one responsible for two or three franchises (and not even particularly revolutionary franchises). I know you’re only a modern day gamer, but Molyneux basically invented the god game genre. It’s easy to look at those games as nothing special now, but back in the 90s they were massively distinctive and quite revolutionary.

36. OrbitMonkey

This is why Peter is gettin the award, the mere mention of name always stirs up the community. Keep talking the talk Peter, Congrats on the award & looking forward to your next great game :D

37. DSB

Psychotext said it.

Althought the Black and Whites were both huge letdowns thanks to Molyneuxs big mouth, and I think it’s safe to say that Fable has turned into a soulless husk that cares more about adding prostitutes and dayjobs than making the gameplay worthwhile.

38. lexph3re

It kinda is relevant. Shows he actually forked out the money for the console and spent time with it before coming to his conclusion. As opposed to REAL fanboys who only play the respective system of their choice and refuse to give another system a chance. Like me back in my ps2 xbox and cube days I was a fanboy for ps2 and refused to play xbox. But, after I stayed with my sis and her family they had a xbox and it grew on me.

But, now my opinion on games are not for allegiance but to truely compare offerrings and noticed a lot of ripping people off. So I would say teas thoughts are relevant. Now on the subject of this guy. I hate god games, in fact I actually hate half the games listed and never knew the same guy made them. Soooo to me I his games aren’t my style but they fit other people. So more power to him, even though I hate him

39. Psychotext

This is true. Such a shame that Molyneux has essentially become a corporate whore now… would have been nice to see him spending his twilight production years doing some batshit mental stuff without a corporate overlord as smothering as Microsoft is.

Actually no, he bought his 360(s) a loooong time after coming to his conclusion that it’s shit. Why he did is beyond me, though I suppose owning one allows him greater trolling flexibility.

Unlikely. At least not within the next 5 years.

40. theevilaires

Only true fanboys never buy or attempt to care to own every system. I own them all but prefer SONY because they are the ones who revolutionize gaming as we see it today. I didn’t start playing games until the late 80′s and it wasn’t PC games. The God genre has definitely had a negative affect on you euros as we see it today with you’re culture always thinking they know everything.

….and they say Grand Theft Auto does damage to kids brains.

And I know you’re impressed that I pulled Yu Suzuki out of my ass :D I know my gaming dude.

And I’m telling you this is all a stunt because Molyneux is about to retire soon. He didn’t earn this award. He’s being given it because the industry knows he tried so hard but failed so many times at creating something that was cliche at best and only appealed to a small population of die hard geeks who came home after school from being bullied and could release there anger and frustration by playing GOD in his games.

I’m sure he’s a nice human being in person (despite being an euro) but I gotta call it how I see it. If this guy doesn’t strike my radar every time I discuss gaming with my pals then he’s a nobody. Its time for him to leave the industry. The “I’m GOD” gaming genre is dead. We’re in the land of the “FPS I’m the LORD of the battlefield” era. Peter’s influence on this industry is all but ancient history now.

41. mathare92

Sure he tends to overhype his games, and sure he wasn’t behind a Deus Ex (my bet’s on Warren Spector winning next year) or a Metal Gear or a Half-Life, but hell… I don’t think there’s anyone in the industry who has the same level of enthusiasm or passion for the medium that Molyneux does, even after more than 20 years in the business.

Purely because of that, I think he deserves the award.

Congrats Mr. Molyneux, the games industry wouldn’t be the same without you.

42. theevilaires

“Actually no, he bought his 360(s) a loooong time after coming to his conclusion that it’s shit. Why he did is beyond me, though I suppose owning one allows him greater trolling flexibility”.

Yea I bought them 4 and 5 years later after launch because I wanted a system that wouldn’t break on me in 2 months and I recently had to buy another one because M$ decided that adding wifi in 2010 was the cool thing in style instead of 2005 like SONY did with a handheld (PSP).

My reasons were for stability issues but why did it take you so long to get a PS3? awww let me guess the usual excuses are price and no games with a bonus excuse that PSN sucked. A service that ran 40 played online lagless game called Resistance Fall of Man….which was leaps and bounds better than the 360 (no launch games also lineup) Perfect dark Zero.

I don’t think the 360 is shit. I think the controller I have to use to enjoy the games are. (if someone knows how I can use my DS3 on 360 I’d appreciate it).

And I don’t feel owning a 360 grants me troll flexabilty. If you think that then you have to feel the same way about Blerk. Although not as colorful as me he is subtle with what he says and is well aware how to carefully choose his words to fly just enough below the troll radar.

43. theevilaires

@ mathare92

Yu Suzuki has been in the industry for more than 20 years also and has been apart of more classics than I can count on both of my hands. He is outcasted by the industry and for what!? Because he didn’t save Sega? Is that why he hasn’t be given this great honor!?

I’ll take Shenmue over Fable any fucking day of the week!

44. Psychotext

I don’t think the 360 is shit.

Oh but you did. It would take all of twenty seconds to find any number of posts which say this, and much much more. You weren’t exactly shy about expressing your opinion on it, don’t be now either.

why did it take you so long to get a PS3?

I bought a PS3 about 2 years after launch, when it started getting good games. I bought a 360 about 2 years after launch, when it started getting good games.

People who buy consoles at launch are a little bit crazy, I’ve never been one to “pay for potential”.

So now Blerk is a “stealth troll” too? Man you’re paranoid.

45. Johnny Cullen

Phft. I’ve seen it since the first day I’ve been here: you and Blerk are totally double-teaming trolls.

46. theevilaires

I’ve never been one to “pay for potential”.

Well I payed for a PS1,PS2,PS3,Blu-ray player,WiFi,Memory SD-Compact-Pro Duo card reader,4 usb ports,Super CD player,MP3 and other audio player,Video file player,picture viewer, and web browser and have gotten great value from the start. It just got better yearly.

The (unexpected) potential I payed for was 3D and motion controlled based gaming (which I had that too from the beginning)……..so yea for $600 thats a steal IMO.

Being able to go from playing FFXII on PS2 and PS3 the next day was fine by me and taking a break to enjoy some RFOM free online 40 player mayhem was worth it too. But I figured you say games.

47. Psychotext

Well, it’s customarily what people buy consoles for, so yeah, games.

48. M2Kx

Hehe, tea at his best! Thank you I’m very amused, so you’ve done well ;D

49. Kuwabara

the only game worth playing was magic carpet..

50. Psychotext

Dungeon Keeper and Syndicate would easily be in my top 20 of all time. Populous was one of the first games I ever played on my Amiga too, so that holds a special place in my memory.