Portal 2 to feature PS3-PC/Mac cross-platform play, Steam key included with PS3 version

Tuesday, 18th January 2011 07:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

portal 2

Valve’s just confirmed that Portal 2 will feature cross-platform play between PS3 and both PC and Mac owners of the game when it releases in April.

Features also confirmed a “persistent cloud-based storage of PS3 saved games” as well as cross-platform chat on PS3, PC and Mac.

Valve’s also confirmed it’ll include a “Steam Play” of the game with every copy of the PS3 version, which means a Steam key for the PC and Mac version will be included.

“We made a promise to gamers at E3 that Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 would be the best console version of the product,” said Valve boss Gabe Newell.

“Working together with Sony we have identified a set of features we believe are very compelling to gamers. We hope to expand upon the foundation being laid in Portal 2 with more Steam features and functionality in DLC and future content releases.”

Portal 2 for PS3 was announced with full Steamworks support at E3 last June during Sony’s press conference by Newell.

Portal 2 releases on April 18 in the US and April 22 in Europe for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Johnny Cullen

That’s fucking amazing. Massive props to Valve.

2. Crysis

Awesome, game could really suit different controls, good job valve.

3. XxT_I_K_IxX_PR

That’s pretty cool :D it would be awesome if other companies would do that…

4. GeneralBison

So what are the advantages of buying Portal 2 on Steam?
    Calling it a “Steam Play version” of the game makes it sound like it’s limited in some way, I’d like to know more before I buy a copy I’m not even going to play.

5. Psychotext

Very cool.

6. Aimless

That’s pretty fantastic. I was intrigued by the PS3 version but figured I’d get the game on PC like the rest of Valve’s games. Now I don’t have to choose!

7. Aquarion

@GeneralBison: a “Steam Play” version is just Valves branding for “Buy it once, get it on all the platforms”. For most things, this just means that, say, you buy Civ4 for PC and you automatically get a Mac licence as well. They’re not limited unless you count another gaming platform as a limitation.

Little bit annoyed that this can’t go both ways, so PC buyers won’t automatically get it for PS3, but I’d imagine this is Sony’s fault.

8. DBZ0wnz

@7 Valve is doing a favor to PS3, it’s not Sony’s fault to the PC side of things.

9. Old MacDonald

Heh, I can understand why Microsoft wouldn’t want that deal. Clever stuff, Valve.

10. Erthazus

Thats a very neat idea actually.

11. Gekidami

It would be good if they put custom maps and mod support in there. We know its doable on PS3 because its in UT3.

12. Dralen

That is freaking amazing! Will work really well for a game like this as well.

13. back_up

PS3 and Valve rules

14. Suikoden Fan

let me clarify if i got the game on ps3 i’d also get it on pc?

15. Johnny Cullen

16. Erthazus

Except that btw crossplatform gaming won’t do much to PC at all.

Portal is one of these games that require PRECISION. I won’t play with PS3 owner this to be honest. Just because that guy can be behind me by miles and co-op in this game require to be fast as possible.

But the idea of crossplatforming is really a neat idea.

@Suikoden, yes, just activate it on Steam..

17. Blerk

It’ll be interesting to see how well this works. I wonder how they’ll manage patching issues between the two platforms?

Anyway, great deal! Valve know how to pack the value in when it counts.

18. Erthazus

@17 have you ever.. used Steam? *Facepalm of the huge proportions

Ps3 version if connected to the internet will automatically recieve patches while you are playing a game.

Steam is a little APP for the PS3.

19. Aimless

@17 Games on PS3 can be patched outside the standard system. For instance MAG, Metal Gear Online and DC Universe all feature their own torrent-based patching methods.

In other words the PS3 version will likely patch using the regular Steam servers, Valve able to push content out without having to go through certification.

As an aside this is also potentially good news for 360 owners. If Valve are able to add content to the PS3 at no charge, like the PC version, Microsoft should also allow that content to be free on Live.

20. Johnny Cullen

Aimless – I doubt it, otherwise we would have seen all the content and updates for TF2 on 360 by now

21. Erthazus

“Microsoft should also allow that content to be free on Live.”

Nope. It’s because of stupid MS LIVE restrictions.

22. Blerk

Thanks for the useful, informative and polite version of that answer, Aimless!

23. Aimless

@20 But that content wasn’t available on the PS3. I suspect Microsoft will be more amenable with its policies when those on a rival console don’t have to pay. It puts Valve in a good bargaining position and I can see Microsoft taking the hit on service charges.

Incidentally I’d love to see a re-release of TF2 on the PS3 — or 360, but for obvious reasons that’s less likely. As a shooter it’s very well suited to a controller and with all the additions and changes it deserves a second shot at the console market.

24. abbe

Buy Ps3 disc, use PC key, go back with disc to store.
    Instant discount.

25. Blerk

You know, I think they might’ve thought of that already. Just a hunch.

26. abbe

Oh right, this one time key business have really stopped used-game sales.

27. AHA-Lambda

WOW PS3 version bought!!!

28. Callum

Pretty imba! I’ll be getting it on PC because I lurve my mouse <3 but still a nice idea.

I wonder how long it will take for people to pirate Portal 2? Does it have to be launched using the Steam app? Or does it work standalone?

29. El_MUERkO

yup, i’ll be getting the PS3 version, best of both worlds for me, single player on the PS3 when I’m lazy, multiplayer on the PC when precision is required :)

30. Maxey

The PS3 version must come with a PS3 key of its own or else a single copy could be used to activate thousands of Steam keys for several different PSN accounts.

31. perk1n

Left4Dead next, pls.

32. Bond James Bond

the word on a lot of 360 owners minds at the moment. lol

33. StolenGlory

^ This.

34. freedoms_stain

If Valve and Sony forge an alliance for the next generation of consoles they could be an unstoppable juggernaut.

35. StolenGlory

I agree they probably would; the generation after though, since that would be when any of Valve’s games would make it to market.

36. stretch215

I don’t care about this pc stuff as I don’t want to be anywhere near one after an 8-12hr. day. I want to know which console version is better.

37. Bond James Bond

Ever heard of hooking up a PC to your HDTV and playing your games via wireless mouse & keyboard (or wireless 360 pad)?! Nah, didn’t think so…

38. stretch215

No, you are the only person who’s doing that. CONGRATULATIONS !! ass. Maybe you have reading problems. See my earlier post. I work on a pc, I game on consoles. Personal preference. Fuck off.

39. onlineatron

So if I buy the PS3 version I’ll also be able to play it on my PC and Mac?

That’s insane!

40. 2plus2equals5

Wow, 2×1! I like it!

41. DuckOfDestiny

So that means if I buy it on PS3, I’m also getting it for PC?

I may as well go for the PS3 version then, not like I’ll ever use it.

42. albo88

@32 nah i dont thing so
    all this
    is done cos psn still dont have features like xbl
    so put the mic on pc and start voice cross chat cos psn cant do it hahahaha
    valve is a company that has growed with M$ so u really believe that was really a big deal to ask them to do the same for xbox version? but why xbl have all features of steam and is even better steam wile gaming and browsing freezes lie shit and is like 2 year and they haven’t fixed it yet

43. DuckOfDestiny

Sorry, I find it difficult to understand your incoherent babble.

But if you’re having problems with Steam freezing while gaming and browsing, then perhaps it’s something to do with your shitty system, because I and the other millions of daily Steam users will tell you, it performs perfectly fine for us.

Also Xbox live does not offer all the same features of Steam and to add to that, Valve provides this service free of charge.

44. Bond James Bond

stretch215 said:

45. Filofax

So Gabe is really making good his word from E3.