Report: Eidos Montreal confirms 25 hour playtime for Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Monday, 17th January 2011 14:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

deusex4

According to the newest issue of PC Gamer (via CVG), Deus Ex: Human Revolution will last up to 25 hours.

The tidbit is apparently mentioned in the magazine by developer Eidos Montreal.

“So far with them playing about six hours every day, most of them don’t complete the game,” said producer David Anfossi.

“The ones that are more casual gamers, who are used to more ‘corridor, cut-scene, corridor, cut-scene’ type of gameplay – they play it that way for a while. Then suddenly, there’s this new world that opens to them, and they start getting a bit more creative.”

Deus Ex: Human Revolution releases this year for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. triggerhappy686

c’mon man, just give us a release date!

2. Maxey

That’s not bad for an age where you can beat two Call of Duty games in a single day.

3. OrbitMonkey

“Then suddenly, there’s this new world that opens to them, and they start getting a bit more creative.”

Bring it on baby :D

4. frostquake

25 hours..I will take it then!

5. klewd

Higher hour count doesn’t mean the game is any better, it’s likely to be worse. Quality over quantity.

6. NeoSquall

@5 I wonder how much replayability will this game have in the end.

7. guapo

Sounds great. I’m excited for this game, also all the videos look great.@5 “It’s likely to be worse” lol. Since you have absolutely no knowledge of this games “quality” please stfu. And have a GREAT day :D

8. DSB

That’s a fail compared to the original.

9. Maxey

@8, well, let’s see. It probably is a more condensed game with less empty space than the original.

Honestly, I prefer a more focused experience that does not drag itself for very long.

10. DSB

@9 I don’t remember very much in the original that wasn’t tied into the story.

Of course it doesn’t disqualify the game in any way, but 25 hours arguably means that it has a considerably reduced plot. What he’s saying is 25 hours TOPS, not 25 hours standard.

For a nostalgic, that’s not really a good thing. Deus Ex was long, and perhaps longer than it should’ve been, but that also gave the narrative an epic feel where you could barely remember the first level by the time you got to the end.

11. Hunam

Yeah, but back then outside of audio and FMV, games took up about 200mb on a CD, now then eat DVD’s for lunch with their size. You can’t have everything.

12. Maxey

@11, that’s actually a good point.

13. GwynbleiddiuM

@2 wrong, you can complete 4 call of duty games in 24 hours and still have enough time to watch TV.

If it’s anything like the original DEUS EX, which from these very few trailers shows it, it’s a game worth playing.

14. klewd

It’s very simple logic that the more content you have, the more difficult it will be to maintain quality. Try to use your dense, thick head to understand this.

15. AHA-Lambda

@14 – its not that hard. I admit I hate games that are too long

*coughcoughdragonagepersona4coughcough*

but 25 to 30 hours is not that bad. Assassin’s creed is about 20ish and both mass effect game easily clock in at 30ish hours and they’re all great games. PLUS, dues ex is one of the best games ever made and its probably 40 odd hours or something.

By your logic K&L2 was amazing -_-

16. klewd

everyone at this site this stupid? if you could read you would see that i said “it’s harder to _maintain_ quality”. I never mentioned what the level of quality was in the first place, that’s not relevant. Even if that quality was shit, it’s still difficult to make it less-shit as you keep adding content. Why is this so hard to understand?

17. OrbitMonkey

@16 Your making assumptions & when you do that your making an ass out of u & mption ;)

18. GwynbleiddiuM

@16 So we go anger mode at the first sign of disagreement? Yes it is harder to maintain quality, but the lack of trying is what makes many games distasteful. Some games just end where you just started to get excited about, many games lack both quality and longer playing time. And I disagree with your first comment: “Higher hour count doesn’t mean the game is any better, it’s likely to be worse”.

It’s not likely to be worse, cause that is irrelevant too. The more you work on your game or any other stuff one might make, it will make it better, and that is only if you spend that time to improve and make it better. so better quality doesn’t mean shorter or longer play-time experience, although shorter experience tend to be more disappointing.

Quality vs Quantity can also mean one department did its job well, but the short comings of other deps. did not make a better creation. Like in Crysis story was shit, dialogues were crap and it made a great impact on everything else. In RPG world that would be a grander issue as longer play time is essential. Mass Effect 2 (although it’s less RPG more action in spirit) was a huge success cause most department did their job admirably, quite reverse scenario is Fallout NV, again story is meh, gameplay not bad but there’s nothing interesting about the game overally except go there do that, get annoyed by stone-aged animations, various glitches and absent of any charming character interactions (I don’t mean romance and sex ofc). So there are departments in every development, some work on quality some work on quality, either of them don’t do their job well, disappointment is inevitable.

19. klewd

@17 please point me to any (false) assumption i made.
    @18 disagreement? it’s rather a hopeless feeling when people cannot comprehend reading at a level that is required in order to discuss anything. there’s no “disagreement”; it’s just me having to clarify for everyone what I meant by the statement (which should be extremely clear by itself).

I don’t know why you’re spending two paragraphs giving me your opinion on games when they’re not related to the argument.

You’re also missing the point when you’re saying “the more you work”, which has nothing to do with what I’m saying. That’s actually trying to twist what I’m saying order to create a fallacy out of it. Whatever number of hours people work on something doesn’t mean anything, what means anything is the scope of their project. The _broader_ you go, the more difficult it will be to keep quality up. There will be more content that needs to be polished. Why is this so hard to understand? It’s not an absolute statement, but in most cases; yes, the quality will suffer (which is why I said _likely_).

20. DSB

@11 I’m pretty sure most studios are able to compress their games properly if they have the time and focus to do it, but it’s probably down to cost.

With every passing year it takes more time and obviously more money to make a game, and I’m quite sure that the 2 year cycle is why most end up being cut short.

I’m just worried that the real tally of hours to be played ends up being too scant to deliver a great experience.

AHA-Lambda mentions Mass Effect 2, which felt like a pointless commercial break to me. I’d definitely hate to see that happen in this case.

21. night_tripper

@1 on gamestop’s site and amazon’s site they both have the game listed as coming out March 8TH, 2011

22. xino

there nick name to me is “Idiots”:P

23. Hunam

Those are old dates. Eidos said last week that if you see any dates they are guesses as Eidos have not released any dates since the delay.

Persona 4 was the second best 97 hours I’ve spend gaming since ever :P Not bad for £18. That’s like 19p per hour.

Getting down to 6.8gb for the 360 is a monumental task in it’s own. They do all use massive amounts of compression tech. I can’t talk exact specifics, but when I was testing a game I saw the size of the game before it went through compression and after and I was actually shocked at how hard compression works in modern games on the 360.

24. LOLshock94

shouldn’t it b e longer since they delayed this golden turd