PS3 “Trophy Unlocker” threatens to break Trophy system

Friday, 14th January 2011 16:04 GMT By Debabrata Nath

PS3Trophy

This is ridiculous.

Rumours have been ripe on some hacking forums that a new homebrew app known as “PS3 Unlocker”  allows users running custom firmware to achieve 100 percent completion in any game and unlock all the trophies in the process.

What’s worse, is that they can then sync the data to Sony’s servers and it’ll will show up in their Trophy lists.

One random PS3 hacking forum user wrote the following message:

“Just tried it with BUZZ Quiz TV (EU) original disc – Played a round of the game then quit, trophy’s now show as 100% I have 70% previously.”

All this is the result of George “Geohot” Hotz completely hacking the PS3 by exposing its security keys, which he claimed was irreversible, earlier in the month.

His actions resulted in Sony suing him and a group of hackers calling themselves fail0verflow earlier in the week.

We’ll contact Sony and see if any of this holds any truth.

Thanks, MCV.

1. StolenGlory

Like it matters.

The pride and by proxy the point in trophies is actually putting in the time and unlocking them yourself.

2. chronoss2

i really dont care as trophies dont have any value.. I’ll still keep on unlocking them the legal way on my own.

3. theevilaires

They have been doing for sometime now. Go look at anyone who has a Socom Confrontation Platinum and you’ll see they unlocked every trophy within 3 minutes of each other. I don’t mind home brew apps but when it comes to piracy and cheating hacking sucks man.

Have some pride and honor you worthless scum.

4. OrbitMonkey

Well isn’t this a kick in the balls for the people who legitimately Trophy whore?

5. Anders

Damn, them “internet hacking gangs” have been rough on Sony the last few weeks.

6. NeoSquall

And that’s what “homebrew console programs” will be about in the long run.

Good job, GeoHot.

7. theevilaires

Sony was destined to have one of the best years in gaming history for 2011 and it sucks pirates,cheaters,and hackers are trying to put a damper on it all. For some reason I know M$ has a hand in this, they’re being too quiet about all this.

8. Psychotext

This shit is pointless… trophies and the like can be fun for a bit of individual challenge, or if you’re competing with friends (and by that I mean real friends, not random internet wankers)… but who cares if some tosspot is level 350 and has eleventy billion platinums?

If was having a competition with someone it would take all of 10 seconds to tell if they’d used this tool… and all of 30 seconds to call them all the sad bastards under the sun.

9. OlderGamer

Ok but, and I tread lightly.

If player one hacks and unlocks all trophies, how does that effect player two?

I know that MS and Sony were toying with the idea of “rewarding” players with lots of achievies/trophies. But most of those reward I saw/read about were craptastic.

And yea I understand that the “well i earned em, not hacked em” stuff. But I see it as being no different then an old style proaction replay or Game Genie.

Seing as how one player won’t gain any type of actual advantage over trophies. Whats the big? Am I missing something?

10. Gekidami

Like i said in the other article, this has been doable on 360 since forever, and its hardly had much of an effect there. I do hope Sony put more effort then MS is into coming down on cheaters though.

11. Razor

Big deal.

12. JonFE

@tea:
    What does Microsoft have to do with anything in this thread?
    Will you be chasing windmills next?

/adjusts tinfoil hat

13. OrbitMonkey

@7 It’s not paranoia if its true ;)

14. themadjock

Surely this means SONY have a way of checking for hacking and can brick some consoles

15. Gheritt White

@ 7: Wasn’t last year meant to be “one of the best years in gaming history for 2011″ for Sony? And the year before? (…and the year before?)

16. OlderGamer

“For some reason I know M$ has a hand in this, they’re being to quiet about all this.”

Thats pushing it boss.

I would say that I can sum all of the last few days for PS3 and Sony fans with this: that they found out that their fav system isn’t some lofty piece of perfection(security wise). It is just a game system, and now, like most of the game systems out there, it is no longer a completly closed system.

I am not going to keep reposting the same posts each time a new “O Noes the PS3 gets hacked” headline tops a thread. But really not that big a deal, and blaming MS just sounds crazy(and maybe a tad desperate).

17. Goffee

Stuff bricking machines, Sony should be allowed to send agents out to murder anyone stupid enough to rig their own trophies, for the good of mankind…

18. theevilaires

@ 15 Sony is the only console this year that can release a triple A title each month. M$ cannot and nintendo please don’t make me bust my intestines.

@ 16 Its funny how I put one line and people instantly flock to it, but lets say for a second I was being real with that one line. One can easily come with a conspiracy argument defending that M$ knows they don’t have shit this year for exclusives and that they rather see the PS3 get pirated so SONY wouldn’t reap the rewards and praise for most of their triple A line up this year. You really think M$ wants Uncharted 3 to sell well….don’t be a fool XBOT red ringing my friend.

If M$ could find a way to help geohot (and by M$ I mean one of their XBOT diehard M$ is the world leader employees….you know the FORZA 3 IT IS, M$ IT IS, BILL GATES IT IS guy who posted that on neogaf when forza 3 released) exploit the PS3 then maybe 3rd parties would be less reluctant to focus on PS3 and more on 360. Remember most of EA releases will and have more content for PS3 at no additional cost…Medal of Honor/Dead Space 2 to name a few.

I’m not saying Aaron Greenturd is behind it but maybe someone else in M$, which I just say M$. But this is all coming from the POV “IF” my 1 sentence that just hooked your mind was meant as sincere :D

….but then again I’m sure in your world every conspiracy is untrue unless it comes from you. JFK assassination….no conspiracy there….RROD popping out left and right…..no conspiracy there…..everyday corrupt shit that happens is just coincidence……none of the could be rivalries companies have against each other end up in conspiracy right ;)

Every war is won before it is fought O.G. Remember that.

19. earlyrock

@17 Or an Army of those Robot Dogs they used to make. Send em all out and bring back their heads :D

@ TEA, Oh man. You should deffo be a script writer. You’re amazing.

20. Callum

lol! tea you really are a nut job aint ya?

21. NiceFellow

Do if I care someone cheats to get lots of virtual “I’m good” symbols that don’t mean anything? No.

Has this hurt MS or 360? Seems not to have.

What worries me is the game hacking that now seems possible, where my actual playing is affected. That’s where the focus should be for Sony and MS.

Whatever, you’re a sad little fucker if you need to cheat either to give yourself Trophies you didn’t achieve or beat another player online via hacks.

22. MrBambinoDent

This is BS … I think DRM security is much better than letting such whores ruin the whole industry.

23. LRB1983

Bye, Bye to future PS3 Reward System, right?
    Pretty sad.

24. MushroomStamp

I’m with OG, Someone having a million pointless trophies doesn’t change my gaming AT ALL. People that feel their worth is based on their trophies can still do that… why what someone else does detract at all from the value you place on your accomplishments? It sounds like some really insecure people that need constant reaffirmation of their self worth. Sad…

Sure it’s stupid to cheat, but cheating has always existed in this world, nothing anyone can do about. The only thing you have control over is your own perception. So don’t let what others do affect you. sooooo insecure.

25. WeMax

Haha how it just happens to be Buzz! Quiz TV that is used for example, cause the game has glitch in itself anyway to earn all (not sure can hidden ones) trophies in hour.

No one needs trophy unlockers for that…

26. Benjo1981

I’d imagine this matters a lot to Sony.

The problem doesn’t derive from the interaction between PS3 users (“I’ve got more trophies than you”) but from the proposition that Sony is 1) not in control of its console when it claim it is, and 2)not providing a meaningful system of achievement which they advertise as a feature of PSN. Additionally, the trophy system was introduced (I assume) to compete with Microsoft’s achievement points so for Sony’s system to so openly go the way of the dodo gives further weight to the argument that XBL is superior to PSN.

Basically, it makes Sony look like a bunch of chumps which isn’t a good market image to have.

27. raoullduke

@theevilaires wow fanboy much?

28. TheWulf

Hm. Hating on the hackers for allowing homebrew such as this to come about is rather hilarious.

Shall we go back in time now and hate on every Action Replay & Game Genie sort of device since the dawn of time, up until current day considering that they still exist.

Those who think that this is anything new are woefully uninformed and clueless. And those that think that this could have only happened due to ‘Dem evil hackers, why I oughtta…‘ is entertainingly misinformed.

(Really, people have been using cheat devices, exploits, and trickery to achieve 100% completion since the dawn of gaming.)

29. Benjo1981

@TheWulf:

It’s not the fact that it’s happened, more that it’s happened so openly; it’s making Sony look like idiots.

30. TraceableX

This is old. And I saw this coming, really. But the worst is: cheat codes in online gaming.

Like the Wii.

31. hitnrun

@tea: Microsoft and Sony are in business, not an athletic competition. In business the object is not to beat the other guy, but to make money. MS and Sony only care about each other insofar as people have limited entertainment budgets, and almost never buy 2 of the same game.

A) Why then would MS expose themselves to a massive industrial espionage scandal and lawsuit that could destroy an entire division for something that doesn’t make them any money?

B) PS3 and 360 releases are almost entirely synced. This hurts the 360 at least half as much as it hurts the PS3. Piracy on release date is probably the biggest reason why AAA titles are delayed or canceled on the PC. Now unless publishers start giving the same treatment to the PS3, the 360 is exposed to Day 1 piracy again.

C) You’re assuming that there would need to be some sort of technical muscle behind this theft. In actuality, Sony left the keys sitting in the ignition. The only reason no one noticed is because they had no reason to until OtherOS was gone.

D) EVERY year is the “year of the PS3.”

32. get2sammyb

As far as I’m aware this has been debunked anyway. Yes the homebrew application lets you unlock the trophies, but no you can’t sync with Sony’s servers.

If you can’t sync, there’s no point, so that’s really the end of the matter. Sheesh.

33. theevilaires

You can really tell when some people just don’t get it #31 :D You just wasted a chuck of time out your life right there buddy :D the key word up there is in quotes “IF”

Its amazing how I get in your minds.

34. hitnrun

@33: Nah, it’s never a waste of time to fully articulate an argument. I didn’t even think of B and C until I wrote A :)

35. Michael O’Connor

Tinfoil hats! Got your tinfoil hats here! Hurry while stocks last, cause they’re going fast! Free to anyone who username starts with T and ends in S… cause you need them more than anyone else.

36. Baseman

This is months old, really.

37. theevilaires

^ Morning after pill here! Get your free morning after pills here!….oh wait I several years late to pass them to your mom O’Connor….Damn!

38. Michael O’Connor

@37 If you’re going to try and insult someone, at least try and come up with something relevant to their behaviour. Otherwise it just makes you look like an unispired 12 year old.

I feel sorry for your daughter, being raised raised by someone so paranoid, ludicrous, and obsessively insulting. Poor child is going to end up pretty messed up being raised by someone like that.

39. theevilaires

You know I’m glad you keep bringing my daughter up cause I want O.G. to see this. That bit about Ireland being too poor I made in the forums he tried to make me look like the bad guy, but he didn’t see all the times you’ve tried to attack me personally.

I feel sorry for that poor kid you and your tranny girlfriend are going to adopt. Poor kid is going to end up a drunk homosexual douchebag by the time he gets to middle school.

40. Psychotext

41. Gekidami

^ Yer moms classy.

42. Psychotext

Why thank you Geki!

43. Michael O’Connor

I’m attacking your behaviour and attitude on the site, something people do to you in practically every single thread you post in and you blindly ignore.

People only get riled up around me when I say something they like sucks. And my arguments are always about the subject of the thread.

Every single topic you post in, with your blind ignorance and vapid insults turns to shit, and people tell you this on an almost. I get an insult about once a month, and it’s rarely by anyone in the community with a modicum of intelligence.

I *do* feel sorry for your kid. This isn’t an insult, it’s a simple observation. If you act like you do here around you child, then you’re completely unfit to be a parent. Based on what I’ve observed from you in the past few years though, she’s probably just going to end up being some spoilt little rich kid.

See, your insults aren’t actually based on anything. If you could actually insult my girlfriend (she thinks you’re, and I quote, “a fucking moron”, by the way) based on something grounded in facts or reality, I might actually be offended, but as it stands you just sound like some punk with nothing valid to, desperate to win, desperate to look like the tough guy, and desperate for attention, and stuck in his teenage image of loudness and aggression, because he never learned how to grow upup properly.

44. adame_bikar

maybe I use it for kamikaze trophy of Heavy Rain!

45. theevilaires

“I’m attacking your behaviour and attitude on the site, something people do to you in practically every single thread you post in and you blindly ignore”.

I don’t blindly ignore anything just like I chose to not comment on your “TEA is a rich little spoilt child” comment in that child’s play article last Dec. If you only knew you two leaf clover drunk bastard the strides it took me to get back to the top. Nothing was given to me I worked my ass off. And for your info last week marked the 7th year anniversary where I lost everything and was homeless sleeping in a card board box behind an abandoned movie theater you piece of shit. I know what it feels like to be at the bottom and lose everything. So fuck you!

“People only get riled up around me when I say something they like sucks. And my arguments are always about the subject of the thread”.

You hypocritical cum rag. You twist and stir more shit than wily wonka on this site. A picture of you is probably next to the damn definition on Wikipedia you delusional bastard.

“Every single topic you post in, with your blind ignorance and vapid insults turns to shit, and people tell you this on an almost. I get an insult about once a month, and it’s rarely by anyone in the community with a modicum of intelligence”.

Can’t help it, people hate the truth they’re gonna be mad, its life, but what I say is the truth and thats why every time I may get something wrong out of a whole 4 paragraphs you retards jump on that 1 thing and 1 thing only cause you know I right about the rest. You can’t wait until I mess up so you can try to look like the guy who owned TEA….LMAO. 98% you people on here don’t pass my comments and you love to read what I think because no one here thinks like me.

“I *do* feel sorry for your kid. This isn’t an insult, it’s a simple observation. If you act like you do here around you child, then you’re completely unfit to be a parent. Based on what I’ve observed from you in the past few years though, she’s probably just going to end up being some spoilt little rich kid”.

O’Connor don’t feel sorry for my daughter. She wears a pair of shoes that cost more than anything in your hobbit house combined. The kid is an absolute prodigy amongst her peers and one day you’ll be bowing down to her to clean her shoes when she visits your poor little country. Don’t worry I taught her well to always give to the needy. She’ll flip you a nickle so you can eat for a month in that dying country.

“See, your insults aren’t actually based on anything. If you could actually insult my girlfriend (she thinks you’re, and I quote, “a fucking moron”, by the way) based on something grounded in facts or reality, I might actually be offended, but as it stands you just sound like some punk with nothing valid to, desperate to win, desperate to look like the tough guy, and desperate for attention, and stuck in his teenage image of loudness and aggression, because he never learned how to grow upup properly”.

O’Connor any woman who can last 3 minutes in a room with you are:

A: Really desperate
    B: Really Really desperate
    C: Tranny (more than likely its this one)
    D: Is utterly fucking retarded

You think I’m trying to be some tough while you’re 5000 miles away. If I wanted to be a tough guy O’Connor I’d walk my ass right up to you at E3 and get 10 years to life, but theres no way in hell you are worth anything to that extent and no one else is here either so the need to be a tough guy is not a valid point. I’ve never said anything about your family until you mentioned my daughter. And honestly it really doesn’t bother me but what I say always bother you. Thats a fact. I know it.

You really think you’re some gaming guru but you’re not. I’m just a guy who is expressing his thoughts with logical reasoning if I can’t present it as a fact. Whats your excuse for being the way you are. Its sad you don’t see your own doucebag ways but have the balls to call everyone else out.

46. Michael O’Connor

“Can’t help it, people hate the truth they’re be mad, its life, but what I say is the truth.

Ell Ooh Ell.

“I’m just a guy whose’s expressing his thoughts with logical reasoning if I can’t present it as a fact.”

Ell Emm Eff Ehh Ooh.

Oh TEA, truly your delusions have no bounds.

47. theevilaires

and you just proved my point again without answering the real question. Good job I hope everyone by now knows what kind of a person you really are.

48. Crysis

What the fuck is the point in hacking? A little thing was invented decades ago that will let you run everything you could possibly want from homebrew shit, i believe it’s called a C-O-M-P-U-T-E-R, I hear that the Windows & various Linux Operating Systems are quite kind to let you play ‘what ever you fuckin want’, I also hear that an Open OS called Android is kind for those who want a mobile experience to play ‘what ever you fuckin want’.
    I think my biggest complaint about hacking would have to do with those who have ‘successfully’ hacked a previously closed OS, posting their ‘success’ for all the pirates to see & if it weren’t for the pirates, i could not give a fuck what hackers do as long as they didn’t do anything that could affect anyone else’s experience in a negative way (i.e. attacking servers, spreading viruses etc.)

49. Crysis

@46, do us all a favour & ignore him, i have learned to do it when he rants, bout time you did too, i hate seeing his delusional rants, but arguing with logic will never work with him, he loves it when ppl respond, you’re encouraging him more than anything, even you should know this by now.

50. theevilaires

^ this is coming from a guy who just tried to prove me wrong by twisting my words around and still failed…

(take notice of the time stamps people)…Crysis I don’t know its because you were dropped as a kid or that huge hole in the ozone lawyer and the sun is frying your assuie head but please kid learn to shut and stay at the junior level of commenters on this site please.

51. DBZ0wnz

I have 52 platinum trophies legit and these motherfuckers think they can ruin one of the best ps3 communities around, holy fuck cheese.

What a bunch of lowlife Cunts.

52. Michael O’Connor

It’s already been pointed out that these can’t be synced with Sony’s servers, so I’m not sure what the fuss is about.

53. OlderGamer

PT said, “Come on guys, going after each others families is a step too far no? Stay classy.”

+100

54. Chris2pher_Jack

@50, What the fuck is an ozone lawyer? :)
    You seriously need to grow up kid, you spend hours on here making LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG & pointless posts, much of what you say is utter bullshit, & I read Crysis’ posts & there was nothing wrong with it:

“…and thats why David Jaffe left SONY and why Ted Price would probably never sign a deal to become one of their 1st party studios. If I put all the work and effort into making something that will sell millions you want to be the sole owner of that. Its common sense….its the fucking American way dude!”

“Insomniac does not own Resistance or Ratchet, owning the IP has very little to do with why Insomniac is (to some extent) an independent developer.
    The main advantage for a developer to own their own IP is that they can auction it off if they go bust, well they do get some creative control over it, but the publisher ALWAYS has the last word.
    Just that both West & Zampella got too big for their own boots, that’s what cause this whole incident, they signed contracts to work on something they didn’t like, well unfortunately that’s life.”

“I know that. To Ted it was just a hired job and I highly doubt if SONY wanted to acquire Insomniac Ted would decline because he probably prides himself on being independent when there are less and less like his company in the industry.

I never said he owned them. I said he would never make a deal to become a 1st party dev for SONY. Stop reading what you want to read and read it right assuie boy.”

His statement fits in perfectly if you read the article you were commenting on, you’re just paranoid, I mean do you believe the crap that flies out of your mouth? Like ‘M$’ released the PS3 hack, you are seriously an idiot in need of some psychiatric help if you believe in your own hype you egomaniac, you think you’re so important to this site, realistically you’re just a fly on our screens that needs to be crushed, it’s your childish fault why people like me don’t normally comment, because YOU TWIST WORDS & come up with the most ignorant crap, if i were a moderator on here i would have banned you ages ago for simply being a childish little twat.

55. JPdot

So, basically, as long as you don’t synchronize the trophies you can be a completionist without effort? Sign me in XD.

56. Stoopid_Snot

god almighty…..
    whats got more sadisfaction?
    playing a game for hours to try to get in in 100% or play for few min and chack the 100%