Pachter: Kinect bundles outsold Move bundles by 5:1 during December

Friday, 14th January 2011 19:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

movekinect

Industry analyst Michael Pachter has stated that during the month of December, Microsoft’s Xbox 360 bundles with Kinect outsold Sony’s PS3 Move bundles 5:1.

Speaking in a statement following the release of last night’s NPD figures, Pachter said not only did Microsoft fare better with hardware, but outsold Sony in motion control-centric software as well.

“About one fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting a modest third month (we have chosen not to subscribe to peripheral data),” said Pachter. “About half of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, as Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles outsold PS3 Move console bundles by 5:1.

“Microsoft announced that it has shipped 8 million Kinect units since launch (in November), which was raised from its earlier goal of 5 million. More significantly, in [Wedbush Morgan's] view, the top two selling Kinect software titles outsold the top two Move titles by over 13:1.”

During December, Wii and Xbox 360 garnered the greatest dollar sales with 32 percent and 31 percent respectively, in hardware, software and accessories.

Thanks, Industry Gamers.

1. Razor

$400 Move bundles never made sense.

2. Benjo1981

Not surprising really given Sony’s apathy towards Move.

3. VoidSpirit

Not enough move shovelware and its awful to use in FPS games that were clearly designed with the DS3 in mind.

4. theevilaires

The introduction of MOVE should have came along with PS3 price cut. Simple as that. Once again better tech loses to blind perception and high budget marketing schemes.

5. Benjo1981

Isn’t skewing perception towards your product, as well as having a healthy marketing budget, all part of a good business strategy?

6. DjFlex

Wrong…and on so many levels too.

7. theevilaires

@ Benjo I didn’t say it was bad. M$ knows how to use those techniques on uneducated Americans very well and like I’ve said before many times across this site I applause them for that. This is America, land of capitalism. If people are stupid enough to give you money then be smart enough to take it without question.

Sony are Japenese and I don’t want to go into a “Oh Garratt TEA just offended my culture and race” thing again but they really need to “open their eyes” up over there :D

kevin Butler can do but so much.

Edit: DjFlex go have insest with your mom please. You’re a newbie here and have to progress through the ranks if you want to make a comment toward me….thank you.

8. Michael O’Connor

Advertising sells, it really is that simple.

If Sony want the Move to do better, it should have advertised it more. And it deserves to do better, because it’s a great piece of technology.

9. Benjo1981

So you’re attributing Sony’s third placement in the motion gaming stakes to a business-related failure? I.e they don’t quite grasp how to market themselves and their products to Americans?

Why has the Wii been such a runaway success in America? The marketing for that is god-awful but it’s sold like hotcakes. The marketing for Move has been god-awful too but it hasn’t sold like hotcakes. What’s different? Maybe that the Wii market just doesn’t care about more accuracy or using motion in traditional games?

I dunno. On paper, Move sounds like a great idea, but it hasn’t caught on really, has it?

10. theevilaires

Ummm thats because the wii has a little known character called Mario backing it up. Mario sells no matter what kid. Nintendo/Mario…..new motion controller….sure why not it has Mario YAY! (average casual consumer talk….not me, Mario can suck my balls for all I care)

and the fact that motion gameplay with a remote was new and simple…..Millions of Americans sit on their fat lazy asses in their trailer park homes with a remote in their hand for hours….come on do I need to go any further./price/gimmicks/cheap shovelware/keep the wife busy while I bang my secretary/etc

So there’s your excuses….er I mean reasons ;)

11. Gekidami

How was the marketing for Wii “god-awful” exactly? Nintendo have pushed their products more then anyone this gen. And you’re ignoring the gimmick factor; Wii was new an exciting when it was first released. Also very, very cheap compared to the other consoles.

12. Michael O’Connor

@9 Are you mad? The Wii gets more advertising than probably all of the competition combined. It also has word of mouth.

Hard for the move to get word of mouth advertising when it’s didn’t get advertised enough for most people to even know about it.

13. Benjo1981

@11 @12
    I’m not questioning the Wii’s success. It did well for all the reasons you suggest. In the UK, Kinect has out-marketed the Wii since its release.

14. OrbitMonkey

15. theevilaires

Ok first of all the first part is true what you said about the wii/move, but make no mistake hardcore xbots are buying multiple Natals for sure. I know some die hard XBOTs and I was in Best Buy one day around xmas and saw this fool pick up three. 1 for him, 1 for his niece and nephew, and one to hack. So this whole thing is going to look interesting in the dry spell months to come.

But then again M$ has the money for the ads to keep people under the spell. It ain’t like XBOX owners got anything else to play this year before gears. Might as well boogie all year with dance central until fall.

16. Michael O’Connor

*leaves a bunch of tinfoil hats on the floor*

17. Benjo1981

Do you not think people do the same with Move? Buy multiple units for themselves/family members?

18. Michael O’Connor

@17 Let’s not forget, you actually need two moves for multiplayer as well.

It’s TEA. Talking shit without any facts or reasonable logic to back is kinda his “thing”.

19. MushroomStamp

I had no interest in any of the motion controllers. I think all of them are gimmicks. However, the Kinect has recently peaked my interest. Not because of games though. Once I saw a video where a Kinect was being used to control their Tivo through gestures, I was like I WANT THAT.

So now, you don’t even need a remote control to change the channel or navigate your Tivo. Imagine, never having to find the remote again. Now THAT is useful.

20. stretch215

Not surprised at all by these numbers.
    p.s. please stop with the irrational console obsession. You’re making a fool of yourself. I love gaming as much as anybody, and that’s just it. I love GAMING, not sony, and not microsoft. This blind belief that one is soooo much better than the other is delusional. Devs produce games of remarkably comparable quality for both systems and neither can come close to what’s being done on pc.

21. Gekidami

Except that menu navigation with Kinect is alot more slower then with a remote. Slower to the point where its actually impractical.

Getting kinect just for menu navigation isnt worth it.

22. MushroomStamp

Geki, it wasn’t that slow. He moved hand up and it acted like the channel Up. I was just shocked at the proof of concept. I’m sure it will get refined and see a lot of non gaming potential for this. When it becomes more polished, i’ll definitely be in.

the proof of concept sure is nice.. got me excited ;) I would love to one day walk in my house and just start gesturing for lights to come on, TV on, my kegorator to pour me a beer :)

potential is there :)

23. GwynbleiddiuM

If not anything Microsoft is the master of advertisements and no matter what they advertise it will sell and significantly so. After all we’re talking about a company that its boss back in the days poped in a DOOM TV ad and said you can experience realistic graphics only with microsoft windows…

24. spiderLAW

fuck it, doesnt matter which sells more.
    I have Move, it deserves more but as long as sony is seeing some profit from it, it doesnt matter one fat fuck if kinect sells more. Cool for MS on the win, whateva.

25. The_Deleted

Pachter really is the Meg Griffin of the gaming world isn’t he.

26. OlderGamer

“The fact that Move is so similar to the Wii doesn’t help. If your already bored of, or own a Wii, why would you fork out for something that does the exact same thing slightly better?
    Better tech or not, the Kinnect is something new & that sells & is easy to sell as the figures show.”

This. Exactly this.

And the whole installed user base thingie.

27. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Good for Microsoft. They certainly don’t have any (more than 2) first party titles to help sell units this year..

I’d buy Kinect AND Move if I had a bigger living room. As it stands, I don’t have a Wii, so the Move was more interesting to me right now. Although, I am quite disapointed with the MOVE game forcast in the forseeable future..

28. James Mac

This article refers to bundles.
    I would imagine the people who are buying bundles are casuals getting into the market… in which case; the difference between the Wii and the PS3 is about 400 dollars (at least here in Australia).

PS3 may have exclusives, but they don’t have the mainstream recognition of Mario… that little buggers been around for nearly 30 years.

29. chronoss2

pathetic!!! after being the “EPIC Fail” in E3, it turns out that people are that stupid to buy a piece of crap like this..

30. XxT_I_K_IxX_PR