Metro 2033 wasn’t “nurtured,” sequel will address this, says Bilson

Friday, 14th January 2011 17:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

metro2033

THQ’s Danny Bilson has admitted the firm didn’t market or support product development of last year’s Metro 2033 as much as it should have, but the firm plans to do a better job of things with Metro 2034.

Speaking with Joystiq during THQ’s Games Day in New York, Bilson said not only will the sequel be given a better promotional push, but a bit more support when it comes to helping 4A Games polish the final product as well.

“I’ll give you the straight answer,” Bilson said, “It wasn’t properly supported in all areas. It was a cool deal where it was inexpensive and [4A] were doing their stuff.

“Did the game need polish in certain areas? Yes. So when I say it wasn’t fully supported, it was product development and marketing that didn’t support it the way it should’ve been. A great marketer picked it up with four months to go and did what he could with four months to go, but it wasn’t properly nurtured by marketing.

“[Metro 2034] doesn’t have any of those issues. I green-lit the sequel before [Metro 2033] shipped, because I know what [4A is] capable of — I knew how cool it was.”

Bilson said the sequel, which will have 3D support and possibly land on PS3, has had some of the gameplay issues prevalent in the first outing fixed, and will contain “some awesome technology, great art, [the] interesting world — all the freshness” of the first one.

“I would say it’s gonna have some better, more familiar shooting mechanics in it,” he said. “And I would also say it’s going to have a first-class marketing campaign that kicks off at E3.”

Metro 2033 was released on PC (with 3D) and on Xbox 360 in March last year.

1. OrbitMonkey

I heard some good things about Metro 2033 & this kind of game really appeals. Be nicely chuffed if Metro 2034 makes it to ps3 :)

2. Hunam

I thought Metro was heavily marketed to be honest. At least in europe.

3. AHA-Lambda

yea I saw it on quite a few shelves and there was def quite a few ads at release. Hell you want to see bad marketing look at vanquish ;_;

4. Uncontested

I liked the game until I realized I couldn’t save and had to go to work, this isn’t 1995. I have a life and cant force my way to the next check point to get a ‘predesignated save’ in the story.

5. crainey92

All these Russian set games really appeal to me, for example my favourite games are the STALKER games. I love Horror games and I loved Metro 2033 so I can’t wait to see what is coming in the future, obviously they didn’t fully realise the potential of the first game.

6. abbe

Stephany, what did he really say in all of those places where you added/changed stuff? The addition of extra wording or clarification is good, but its getting silly at times.
    No, this sentence isn’t as bad as some that I’ve seen, but some of the words you have added/changed are so natural that I just wonder what he REALLY said instead of them.

7. Gekidami

^ I’m guessing the words were “It” “first one” and “we” or “they”.

8. abbe

Oops, the interview wasn’t done by Stephany, my bad. Missed the note about Joystiq in the beginning.

But what I’m getting at is things like this:
    BF: Absolutely it’s more rare [to rely on instincts]. What stinks about it is that if they have success, then everybody is going to go “That’s the way to go. We need more instinctual guys.” If it doesn’t work, everybody’s going to say, “Told you so.”

Why 4 words, what could he have said that was much different?
    On the last page of the Gamasutra article its from ( http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6256/around_the_block_with_brian_fargo.php?page=3 ), there’s 12 changes/additions to his wording, mostly information for the reader, but also things that puts words in his mouth.

9. absolutezero

I hope to fucking God by polish he means visual/control/immersive polish.

If 2034 has fucking regenerating health and infinite Gas Masks I will destroy 1000 babies.

10. VoidSpirit

Why stop at a 1000?

11. triggerhappy686

I REALLY enjoyed this game, the shooting wasnt half as bad as everyone says. 4A engine (dev name too) is absolutley gorgeous, particle effects were the stand out for me. I played on PC so had the pleasure of seeing it at 1920×1080 but it still looks fantastic on console. I live in the UK and seen absolutley no marketing at all, glad this is being addressed for the next one. Anyone who hasnt played this game should take a look, probs super cheap these days.

12. Stephany Nunneley

@7 Exactly. [....] help out a lot – sometimes – when you break up an interview with information, and you add in a quote afterward. The [....] keeps the reader from getting confused, by helping both the article and the reader stay focused on the subject.

But it can get a bit too much sometimes, though. I agree with Abbe.