BioWare community manager explains the reason for trickling SWTOR information

Thursday, 13th January 2011 17:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

swtor

BioWare has responded to members of the SWTOR forums, trying to explain to the masses what the company’s mantra of  “we will talk about it when it’s ready” means to the long-anticipated MMO.

In a long winded and well-explained post by Star Wars: The Old Republic’s Stephen Reid, the senior community manager explains that when developing a game, especially an MMO, it’s not a very good idea to show too much until the team is positive certain mechanics or content will make it into the game.

“First of all, to re-iterate the general attitude towards development on The Old Republic. It’s fairly simply summarized – we talk about things that will be in the game when they’re ready to be talked about, and not before,” said Reid. “That’s an easy mantra to explain, but it’s tough in practice, especially over a protracted development period – which any MMO goes through, TOR being no exception.

“There can be any number of reasons why we hold back on talking about something, but those reasons often fall in three broad categories. [Also], sometimes talking about System ‘A’ leads directly to talking about System ‘B’, and if System ‘B’ isn’t ready, then guess what? We can’t talk about System ‘A’ for now. The good news is, we can bundle both together for a big ol’ bundle of info – bad news is, you have to wait a little longer.

“You’d be surprised about what connects to what, also, and how interconnected things can be. I can think of a specific example of something people have asked about, but we can’t give an answer on, because the answer directly connects to a system that’s not ready to be talked about yet.”

Reid goes on to say information is released on a clear marketing timetable, and not before then. Basically, every tiny shred of information set to be revealed to the public is planned out to a tee.

So, there’s that bit explained. Still no information on a date. However, Reid did drop a bit of good new concerning the addition of European testers to the game and not just those in the UK.

“Europe is on the roadmap, absolutely, and EU folk will be part of testing (and not just the UK),” he said. “We’re building a new global Customer Service center in Galway, Ireland and that’s just the beginning of our plans for the EU.

“I know it’s been a long wait but we haven’t forgotten about you guys. I can’t forget, I have family there.”

SWTOR is slated for release sometime this year.

Thanks, Massively.

1. Hunam

Marketing obviously aren’t doing good enough job then if all it’s doing is frustrating potential buyers.

I was obvious that the game reveal was over a year too early as the protracted wait has just burned most people.

2. DarkElfa

Hunam is correct. My guild formed for this game nearly a year ago and since then we’ve played 3 mmo’s and are currently on EVE until the release of TOR but the wait is making us all kinds of terse and crabby.

3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 ummmm, are you and I in the same guild per chance?

4. Zurtech

Persoanlly, I prefer Bioware’s approach to information on their games. It’s better, imo, to hear about information on a game when features and aspects are definitely 100% in it.
    All it takes is a bit of patience and to just chill. I’d much rather have small bits of info trickle out than be told about loads of features that aren’t in the game yet and are likely to be pulled. *cough* Lionhead *cough* -_^

5. Samuel

I don’t understand this attitude of thinking you’re owed this information. They simply announced a game they are making, they did not sign a contract saying they’d have a constant stream of info going out to the public. If you’re just impatient and want more info because you’re excited about the game, well, that’s on you, not them. If you already formed a guild for a game that was only announced to be in development, and was made clear was nowhere near release yet, that’s on you, not them. The reasons stated in the article are perfectly reasonable, and are to be expected. If they did talk about features that later had to be removed, there would be a lot more bitching about that than there is about a lack of information.

6. Dralen

I like getting the information in small chunks, that way I can process every small detail about the game. I get all excited everytime a new holo record is released, or a new class is revealed. I’ve got plenty of other games to play in the mean time, so there’s no rush for me. Also when this huge game finally does come out, I’m gonna be ready for it, because I haven’t had all the information forced on me all at once.

7. Hunam

1) The small bites bit wasn’t my point. Just that for nearly 2 years they’ve been going on about the game and it’s starting to drag and my enthusiasm is going for the game. That’s not on me, that’s on them not doing something right.

2) Their job is to make sure people like me buy their game and that I stay interested in it. They are not doing that correctly because they have been glacial in it’s news especially in the first year. If I don’t buy the game because of how sick I am that I had to wait 4 years for the game then they lose out not me. I don’t need their games but they need my money. Buyers have the power because they have the money.