Rumour – Nintendo Japan confirms 3DS region-lock in newsletter

Tuesday, 11th January 2011 12:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

3ds

Nintendo’s apparently confirmed it has region-locked 3DS, meaning gamers won’t be able to play imported games on the system.

The publisher has supposedly mentioned the news in a newsletter from its Japanese arm, as spotted by GAF.

If true, it means gamers who import 3DS titles from Japan or the US won’t be able to play them on their European systems.

Previous Nintendo handheld systems have been region-free, including the original DS, although DSi and DSi XL have been region-locked.

Nintendo was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.

1. BillyBatts

[INSERT GREEDY BIG COMPANY RANT HERE]

2. Suikoden Fan

nintendo you fucking idiots, god you can be so fucking stupid, the ds is an importers heaven, seriously considering not bothering with the 3ds anymore

3. AHA-Lambda

well that’s shit D=

4. Suikoden Fan

@BillyBatts but alot of the stuff never comees to europe so it the only way we get to play certain games. Damn i’m pissed.

5. Blerk

Clang!

6. BillyBatts

@Suikoden Fan – Totally agree fella. Just anticipating the shit storm :-)

7. evilashchris

Bit daft, how do you buy a game when you are on holiday with your DS?

8. Blerk

Buy another 3DS, of course!

9. Suikoden Fan

@BillyBatts expect alot of that from me

i mean europe never got

devil summoner
    rocket slime
    etrian odyssey 2 and 3
    ys 1 and 2
    knights the in the nightmare
    nostalgia
    ragnorok
    strange journey

and many more

thanks for fucking your customer base nintendo

10. Hunam

Not buying it now. Half of my portable gaming comes from the US because no one fucking releases anything in the UK.

11. Johnny Cullen

Time Travelers better get a release here or I will be pissed.

12. orakaa

Great… most of the games I bought on the DS came from Japan and US (many titles that were never released in Europe such as “Ouendan”, which was the japanese original version of “Elite Beat Agents” or “Taiko no tatsujin”).

And now they’re preventing people to do so ? WHY??? What’s the point ???? We BUY those games, LEGALLY !!! WE GIVE YOU MONEY !

With such measures, you’re only encouraging people to buy a R4 card or something alike (this is ridiculous as I prefer to BUY my games). I think I might just pass and not buy this console at all in the end…

That’s what I loved with Sony on this gen : PS3 is completely region free for games, and thanks to this I never felt the need to modchip it (I did it for the PS2 to play some japanese games). Every console company should do the same on that point. Let people have the choice.

13. Panou

Son, I am disappoint.

14. OlderGamer

Seems to me that all first paty games should be region free. I understand the reasoning behind 3rd party games, it gives an opertunity for the dev to sell the publishing rights to different publishers across different regions.

But Nintendo will make money on a sale of its own game regaurdless if the gamer buys it out of JP, EU, or NA. Seems counter productive and restrictive where there isn’t a need to be either.

Are all DS games region locked?

I have a EU xb360, and it plays many, but not all US games. So I am just wondering if the game being locked isn’t going to be a case by case bases.

15. Blerk

Of course, they could just ensure that all releases make it to every region in a timely fashion. They have to give Europe more love this time around, surely?

/tries to keep a straight face
    /fails
    /dismally

16. OlderGamer

The only other reason I can think of behind region lock outs are that sometimes games devalue faster in one region then they do in others. If NA could buy a copy of a game out of EU it might well be cheaper then if they bought it in the states. Plus losing that sale from say US Walmart, might make walmart want to lobby Nintendo to restrict their games and use lock outs. I mean that has to be a reason, somewhere, and it prolly starts and stops with money.

17. orakaa

@16 : not only that, but there is also the currency issue. I live in France and whenever I can, I buy my games from Hong Kong, UK or the US… most of the time I don’t buy my games in France as it is way more expensive. In the end, a company like Nintendo will make “less profits” if we all do that, and they don’t like it… even if it’s perfectly legal…

But what of those games released “only for the japanese market” or the US ones that developers don’t want to take the risk of releasing in Europe ? A game like “Demon’s Souls” almost didn’t make it to Europe !

18. JonFE

This is not exactly new, you know.

19. SplatteredHouse

This is disastrous to games fans. I had my eye on one of these, but because Europe is poorly supported (tries to imagine not having played Rondo of Swords – you should,if you’ve not already, btw – and still being content…nah, no good!) and a secondary consideration, I don’t think I’ll be able to support the machine, while such regressive thinking policy is in place.

20. Bond James Bond

I’m not going to buy one anyway, but this reeks classic Nintendo. So behind the times…as usual.

21. Epic Fool

Oh we suddenly like jp games again do we?

I thought they were so old fashioned and boring compared to western developers’ godlike mad skillz… I must not be following.

Meh.

22. Suikoden Fan

is it hoping against hope that iwata will see the negativity being generated and make a last second change of mind?