Jon Hare: 3DS “is just a hardware gimmick which might do well”

Tuesday, 11th January 2011 04:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

3ds2

MegaLo Mania, Cannon Fodder and Sensible Soccer designer Jon Hare has trolled the 3DS, describing stereoscopic 3D as “a hardware gimmick” and criticising big budget production’s focus on showy graphics over design.

“The Nintendo 3DS take is interesting, but in my eyes it is just a hardware gimmick which might do well,” Hare told Beefjack.

The much-praised designer hinted disgust at the demands of major publishers for bigger and better graphical performance at the cost of gameplay.

“I am not interested in the limitations and demands of graphical engines,” he said. “I want 75 per cent of the focus of making a game to be on the gameplay and to keep on making it better and better and better until it is ready to be published.”

“This is almost impossible to achieve with 3D without a massive budget and a lot of time,” he added.

In the same interview, Hare expressed his dissatisfaction with the transformation of the games industry over the last decade and a half.

“I was earning more money in 1994 and having more fun than I am now,” he said.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. Crysis

So he hates the PlayStation era?
    I do agree that the 3DS is just a gimmick to cheaply sell some hardware.

2. hitnrun

I agree, but then I thought the DS was a pretty stupid gimmick as well.

Come to think of it, I wasn’t wrong. But when Nintendo puts its financial muscle and reputation behind something, everyone seems to give it a shot…and a second and a third shot.

3. Crysis

haven’t enjoyed a Nintendo home console since the 64, the only games i enjoyed on any Nintendo console since are the JRPG Pokemon games, apparently Nintendo cant use make a proper & decent pokemon rpg. Keep the battles the same as pokemon stadium, but also join the 21st century & use proper 3d graphics instead of sprites.

4. Dannybuoy

Thing is, gimmicks sell, and by the bucket load. Look at the balance board. I wonder how many were bought vs how many are actually used now.

5. Blerk

Looking down his list of recent work on Wikipedia I can see why he’s dissatisfied with how the industry’s turned out. :-|

6. Michal Przyszlak

Well he’s got a point, we’ve never had so much lack of polish in games as we do in this generation. This was always the big advantage of console games Vs PC games, but now we have PC developers doing console games, PC technology being used by console developers and we have framerate issues, glitches and bugs in amazing quantity. There are games like GTA, that are glitchy, Beta-like experiences and we score them 10/10.

I remember the PSX/N64/Saturn era as a time when you didn’t read the reviews to see if game has bugs, glitches or unresponsive controls and framerate issues.