Developers provide opinion on the most influential games for PlayStation

Tuesday, 11th January 2011 21:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ps3

The latest issue of Play has asked game developers from around the world to list, in their opinion, the most influential games released on a PlayStation system.

Titles for PSone, PS2 and PS3 were named, withindustry vets such as Miles Jacobsen, Marc Fletcher, Barry Caudill, David Cage, Tim Willits, and Ed Boon participating in the discussion.

Obvious titles such as ICO, God OF war and Metal Gear Solid were tossed about, along with games in the Final Fantasy series, and Guitar Hero.

Here’s a excerpt from the article, featuring Sucker Punch producer and co-founder, Brian Fleming:

I think it’s got to be Metal Gear Solid… For me even just the opening of that game — with the cinematic credits playing over top of the gameplay — that was the first “next” generation game experience for me.  Even the most amazing games of late like Uncharted 2.. you can trace the roots of a lot of what they’re doing all the way back to MGS as the source. GTA III is a close second.

You can read the full thing through the link up top.

If the premise of the list sounds a bit familiar, it’s because we posted a similar list complied by Eurogamer back in November. It was, however, not console specific.

1. AHA-Lambda

imo:
    ps1 – mgs
    ps2 – gta 3
    ps3 – uc2

2. osric90

GTAIII is a close second for sandboxes, nothing else.

3. KAP

PSOne – FF7
    PSTwo – SOTC
    PSThree – Haven’t decided yet.

4. SlayerGT

GTA3 for hydraulics =D I remember tweakin on my gameshark for hours on end to get hydros on my cars in Driver.

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Hmmm…so many to pick from.

PS1 – MGS, FF7, GranTurismo1, TonyHawk1, TombRaider1, TwistedMetal1
    PS2 – GTA3, God of War
    PS3 – U2, COD4, LittleBigPlanet, RockBand

Hey, it said most “INFLUENTIAL” games…

6. AJacks92

PS1: MGS & FFVII
    PS2: MGS2, MGS3, FFX
    PS3: MGS4, FFXIII Versus (probably)

Yes, MGS is the best franchise of this generation. I’ve yet to see something surpass it, but I hardly doubt it. And there’s no point in playing MGS to MGS4 now because they won’t experience the same effect of the 16 bit graphics and the waiting for the next MGS to come out…and then finally reliving the 16 bit memories in MGS4. That reminiscing feeling of a game can only happen once. So sorry for those who missed out!

Now I’m done ranting :)

7. asdfasdf

PS1: MGS
    PS2: MGS2, MGS3, FFX
    PS3: MGS4

8. mojo

for me its wipeout.
    that was the game that opend my eyes, and told me for the first time “forget what uve learned so far. This is the next thing”

9. KrazyKraut

PS1: MGS FFVIII
    PS2: OKAMI, Dark Chronicle, FFXI
    PS3: WipeOut, GoW3

10. Gheritt White

Tomb Raider (although this is arguabley a Sega Saturn game), MGS, Wipeout, GTA, GoW, Toshiden/Tekken… these were truly influential.

WTF has FF7 actually influenced other than other Square jRPGs? Same goes for Uncharted and Little Big Planet. They’;re great games, sure, but the former is so heavily influenced by Tomb Raider that it can’t count and I’ve seen precisely zero LBP clones.

11. spiderLAW

True fans of video games as a whole would know that the list is a long one on Sony’s side.
    So many influential games.

But i agree with most of you
    PS1: MGS1
    PS2: Guitar Hero
    PS3: MGS4

@ Gheritt
    You are missing the point. Influence in how games are developed, played, looked upon etc.
    Each game mentioned has had influences on art direction, cinematic development, story telling, game play, graphics, etc. Got to look deeper than what’s on the top layer bro.

12. theevilaires

Theres just to many and you guys know I could type every fucking game. But I won’t. Some of you guys picks are great enough.

13. Michael O’Connor

PS1: WipeOut 2047, Gran Turismo
    PS2: Ico, Shadow of the Colossus
    PS3: LittleBigPlanet

God knows why the fuck MGS is being listed so much. Pretentious storytelling, drawn out cutscenes and vapid gameplay.

14. StolenGlory

I dunno about influential but certainly the most fondly remembered for me go something like this:

PS1: Ridge Racer, Rage Racer, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, MGS, Resident Evil, Tekken, Tekken 2, WipEout and Tomb Raider.

PS2: SSX, MGS2, MGS3, FFX, Zone of the Enders, Gran Turismo 3, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War.

PS3: Heavenly Sword, MGS4, Yakuza 3, Flower, Uncharted 1&2, God Of War 3.

There will be many more to come too no doubt :)

15. DaMan

for the ‘core’ audience at that time, jrpgs-wise, Xenogears was as influential as FF7, hell it still is the epitome of atb combat. both games had the same poorly presented plots targeted at the same group of people, Xg was just miles ahead in every possible way.

anyway, on the PSX I’d pick that, Vagrant Story, Wipeout, Tomb Raider, Tenchu/MGS, GT, and Silent Hill.

16. Michael O’Connor

@15 The story is a load of pseudo-intellectual tripe, but Xenogears is an otherwise amazing game. Not sure I’d called it influential though.

Can’t wait to see it on the PlayStation Store. And Vagrant Story. Playing the two of those on the go with my PSP? Fuck yeah!

17. DaMan

@16 heh, I know. I don’t think you would call them that at the age of 17.

all the similar Square jrpgs’ plots were heavily influenced by the likes of Nietzsche, Shopenhauer and psychoanalysis, I’d say that was ultimately their downfall, the moment they tried to become mature by choosing that route.. should’ve went the VS/FF XII way.

I’d say certainly influential, it didn’t resonate with the what is called ‘casual’ audience, but that ‘s to be expected. it was a benchmark. the epitome of classy post SNES jrpg, it’s telling that FF XIII still uses a similar fighting mechanic. the deathblows and 3 levels of attacks were one of the most innovative things that happened to the genre.