Unmodded PS3 shown running pirated game

Monday, 10th January 2011 21:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110111ps3hack_gr

The PlayStation 3 root key’s publication may well enable a plethora of useful, clever and harmless homebrew development, but it has also enabled this: a pirated copy of Konami’s Castlevania nestled on a PS3′s hard drive, for all the world as if it belonged there.

The image comes courtesy of GamesRadar. GR refused to link the the site from which the image was obtained, citing the possibility of encouraging piracy by making information easier to find.

GeoHot’s custom firmware-enabling discovery of the PS3′s root key surfaced last week; Sony has said it is looking into it. The PSPgo has also recently been hacked – look faster, eh?

1. Psychotext

I’m tempted to mod my PS3 for some emulator fun (specifically, the missus would love to play some of the old adventure games)… but I’m a little concerned that whatever detection methods Sony ends up using wont differentiate between homebrew and piracy so I’ll get my machine banned anyway.

Maybe I’ll watch to see what happens to others first.

2. ReeceHeywood

W00T

3. psybass

well, of course Sony can’t fight piracy forever…=[

4. theevilaires

I love how you’re the first person to comment on this, and tell me can’t you do the same on the 360….on but wait thats the system you care for the most right. Its the system you play all your games on. The PS3 is just your step stool huh.

5. Retroid

TEA, only certain 360s can do anything comparable. Most only have hacked DVD firmware which enabled piracy only.

But don’t let that get in the way of what you choose to see, though.

6. Psychotext

What Retroid said. Good god TEA… I abhor piracy, anyone who knows me knows that, and most people online who actually read my posts (rather than look at them from some alternate la la land) know it too. That said, weren’t you saying that Microsoft should be sued for banning firmware hacked consoles from XBL? I assume you feel the same way about Sony and the PSN? (On the record, I believe Sony and Microsoft have the right to ban any console from their service if piracy / cheating is detected)

If the 360 had anything comparable to this, I’d have that modded too, just like I had my original Xbox modded for XBMC.

On a different note, you really need to take a close look at this obsession you have with me (and certain other posters here). It makes you look just a little unhinged.

7. Razor

Sony are pretty quiet about this, aren’t they.

8. Psychotext

Ahh… here we go, here are some of your opinions on piracy on the 360, you complete and utter hypocrite.

I’m sure you see M$’s little scam as a victory for M$ against piracy but it won’t stop. I highly praise the pirates for getting the most out if it as they could even if it meant piracy..why you ask…because M$ fucked them by giving every one of them faulty hardware.

/slow clap

9. theevilaires

Obsession please you’re on me like white on rice if I say something out of place (which is rare) and what I see is you always jumping in front of the line stealth trolling. Arent you the one who claims youre so against piracy. Emulation would still be considered that. Besides why havent you done it already on pc if emulation is sparking your interest. Youre like the kettle calling the pot black

And retard shut up. I wasnt talking to you but thanks for the info. I agree with hacking the ps3, but when it comes to piracy of games no. Emulation or other its not right and someone like you psychotext shouldnt be openly endorsing it. Mr I love the games industry I keep track of all data figures.

10. theevilaires

Yea kettle calling the pot black lmao you have all my comments fireshot dont you lmao. Want my autograph too.

11. revsoul

I think ‘tea’ & ‘psycho’ are the same person with split personalities, just arguing with himself to entertain us all.

12. Psychotext

I respond to you only when you specifically name me TEA. Your little console wars posts are best avoided otherwise. As for emulation being piracy, that entirely depends on the games being emulated my good man, and whether I own them or not (I own the full lucasarts collection). As for the PC, I had an ancient one running Windows 95, but sadly it kicked the bucket recently.

Regarding your last point… so no PS3 piracy? But 360 piracy is ok? So what about if someone had their PS3 fail out of its one year warranty period, and had to buy a new one or pay to get it repaired. I assume PS3 piracy is ok for those people right? It seems that your screwed up morals allow some exception for people screwed by faulty hardware right?

Oh, and here’s how I found your piracy related posts… a good old fashioned google.

13. Hunam

Plus TEA is wrong about consoles pads. The 360 pad is a thing of joy the PS3 pad is horrid.

14. theevilaires

I agreed on the 360 pirating because M$ screwed a lot of consumers. When you go through 3+ xbox within a year then you have the right to take matters in your own hands and say fuck the console maker not only M$ but any of them. It just so happens M$ is the culprit 95% of the time in a matter like that.

I condone hacking a console to add features, but not stealing games and I dont care what you say I know you would have pirated ps3 games. The temptation is too great if you can avoid spending hundreds and thousands of dollars.

Hunam go ask O’Connor to give you lessons in better trolling

15. Psychotext

“I dont care what you say I know you would have pirated ps3 games”

Then you don’t know anything about me, but that’s hardly a surprise. I even give my family members shit for pirating, and wont help any of them with that sort of crap.

Hell, maybe you’d have a clue had you read any of my posts on the subject, like this one:

I do hate pirates though, and I’ll support anything (including bricking consoles) a company can do to discourage them.

Or this one…

I’m massively anti piracy. No excuse for cunts stealing from developers.

Or this one…

Gaming isn’t a right. If you can’t afford it, get a better job or do something cheaper.

Or this one…

Grow a spine and admit that you pirate because you’re a cheap cnut. Hope you feel good when the dev that developed the game is out of business.

…and so on.

16. Callum

It was bound to happen.

TEA, for more information PLEASE PLEASE read this thread on gameindustry.biz:

You say Microsoft ‘did consumers over’ by creating faulty hardware? Well sir, I put it to you that Sony did developers over, which in my opinion is even worse.

By making their hardware so FUNDAMENTALLY flawed, their short sighted development means any licence fee paid( And BTW, Sony’s licence fees are INSANE) is completely null and void. You pay the fee to release software on a secure system, the Playstation is not secure and there is no real update that can solve the problem in a quick and non disruptive fashion.

Anyway, I look forward to the home-brew this will inevitably spark, and I am currently reading the SDK documentation so I can make a start on it to :)

17. Razor

Someone needs to develop an app so I can install my PS2 collection to my PS3 BC unit.

I’d consider jailbreaking my PS3 just for that feature alone.

18. Hunam

I wasn’t trolling TEA, I was actually just trying to be friendly. There’s no point being a dick to each other at the end of the day, we both like games, we both like this site so we might as well have fun and jest rather than be all srs bzns. Didn’t mean offence by it bro.

19. Michael O’Connor

@14 Utter bullshit. So Microsoft creating bad, faulty hardware (which you can’t even buy anymore, so I fail to see why this is even an issue.) gives someone the right to pirate whatever third party titles they want on the format? Really?

What a load of crock

Sure, pirate Halo Reach all you want. Microsoft have already made a tonne of money off it. But there are dozens of devs who don’t deserve to be screwed up, and constantly are, simply because some fat nerd in his basements is too fucking lazy to get a job and wants everything for free.

And no, I don’t condone piracy on the PS3 either. There are at least five first party titles this year on the PS3 I’m interested in owning, and I’ll be buying every single one of them legitimately.

@18 It’s TEA. Its what he does.

20. stretch215

“stealth trolling” :) classic.

21. Psychotext

“@1 Utter bullshit.”

What did I do? lol

22. Michael O’Connor

@21 Whoops, that was meant to be @14

You know I love you, Psycho. <3

23. mojo

“Having said that, the process of turning a legitimate retail title into a shareable file, and making use of said files once obtained, is apparently quite complex, which gives Sony a little breathing time.”

no way.
    it wount take until february when u will be able to rip a game to the ps3 harddrive and copy it to usb drive. thats my guess.

24. IL DUCE

Everyday there is a story about the PS3 being hacked or something else…this is why I’m still iffy about even bothering to buy a PS3 although I prob won’t be able to resist if SOCOM 4 is as good as it’s supposed to be, but this is just same shit different day, it gets so old…you never hear about stuff like this with the 360

25. Gekidami

^ Because the 360 got hacked so quickly it was hardly a note-worthy event.

26. Dr.Ghettoblaster

This is totally a breakthrough PS3 subject. I don’t know how or why X360 always somehow manages to end up getting into these topics…and vice versa…damn “console wars” bullshit..

27. spiderLAW

All of you are funny.
    Ever heard of 2 wrongs dont make a right. Same applies here. Sorta :-)
    Microsoft did this. Sony did that. Microsoft did this. Sony did that. You guys sound like a bunch of 5yr olds.

All 3 major console manufacturers screwed developers and consumers over this generation. Each one of them. 1 no more than the other. Trying to point out each one as seperate and with more or less flaws is a waste of time.
    Either way you look at it, the topic of this article, PIRACY, is wrong.
    Emulation isn’t exactly piracy. there are a few things to consider.
    1) Have you bought the games you plan on emulating? Do they still work or were they not built to last?
    2) Are the games you plan on emulating available to purchase as a consumer from a retailer that is partnered with the publishers in terms of profit of sale.
    3) are they available any other way. (is there any other way of playing them without emulation)
    Its really a gray area (emulation).
    Im against video game pircay, i really am. (dont judge me but movies is another subject, im not against that) but im not against emulation.

28. spiderLAW

PS3 FTW
    Super Mario Bros 3 on PS3 here i come.

29. osric90

If they would “Steamize” PS1, PS2 and PS3 games for the PS3 requiring a sign in and offline limited tickets (for travel and so) this wouldn’t have to exist. “To download games to hard-drive and wait that long? No way”… Yes, way. They should offer an installation disc encrypted and with a single code for the user the put into before installing (with online required sign-in and PSN account use)… Yes, this is the future. No more discs lying there like books, high-priced and mortal… Cheap production, cheap selling prices… And with “production” I don’t mean “production values” but boxes, discs, paper, distribution, etc… But that’s just me.

30. Gekidami

According to this if you’re fucking around with your console Sony will know: