Portal 2 to get Razer Hydra-specific stages

Sunday, 9th January 2011 10:27 GMT By Joe Anderson

razer

Razer, developer of new PC motion controller Hydra, has said it’s teamed up with Portal 2 developer Valve to bring Hydra-specific stages to the game when it’s released this April.

The new motion device uses a small base station to create an electromagnetic field of around six feet, allowing players to control the action using two Wii Nunchuck-like controllers.

The base also acts as a charger.

According to Joystiq, the two companies will release a special bundle alongside the Portal 2 in April.

This package will include a special version of the game that includes native support for the controller, along with new maps and puzzle mechanics built exclusively for Hydra.

There is no official cost for the device as yet, however, according to Joystiq, it’ll come in at the sub-$100 mark.

1. Badger

Colour me mildly interested and slightly surprised. Wouldn’t normally care too much about a PC motion controller, but if Valve is getting behind it, there may be some great innovative games on the incredibly distant horizon.

2. psxman

“create an electromagnetic field of around six feet”

Yeah, because THAT’S what I want around my computer equipment…

3. AHA-Lambda

exclusive content for a controller? from valve?

surely the end of days is upon us D=

4. freedoms_stain

@2, every wire with electricity passing through it creates electromagnetic fields. Quick! Gut every wire out your computer!

5. absolutezero

Valve got behind this thing aswell remember this is not really all that new = http://home.novint.com/

6. TheWulf

@5: Indeed. The surprising thing here though is the exclusive content. That’s a little odd. The rest of it is just Valve trying to get in on the ground floor with a new thing that might potentially do well with the PC gaming demographic.

(I can’t say I’m interested though, because with all the years of controllers I’ve tried, I keep coming back to good old keyboard and mouse.)