Man hacks Kinect, plays CoD4, Zelda, DOOM

Sunday, 9th January 2011 18:24 GMT By Patrick Garratt

callofduty48

Inevitably, someone’s hacked Kinect to allow him to play a Call of Duty game, albeit with the aid of a Wiimote.

YouTube user demize2010 is the brains behind this one. His video shows him playing the PC version of Modern Warfare using a combination of Kinect input for gestures such as leaning, throwing grenades and melee attacks, and a Wiimote for motion input.

It works. The guy’s wobbling around shooting stuff. There can be no doubt.

He’s also made Kinect let him play Legend of Zelda and DOOM, both using a Windows 7 PC. There’s no other controller applied with either of these.

Thanks, Game Informer.

1. Joe Anderson

Think I stick to my controller.

2. OrbitMonkey

Nice work that. man!
    *sits back to await inevitable bitchtalk about Wiimote*

3. Erthazus

This is exactly shows that FPS games don’t work even with the peripheral well.

4. KillerDD

@3 It only shows he sucks at aiming.

5. theevilaires

Oh its PlayStation MOVE only….its crap :D

6. Gekidami

No point denying it, at some point (E3 i bet) MS WILL announce controllers that go along with Kinect.

7. theevilaires

^ you sir deserve the Nobel peace prize for that wonderful obvious prediction that will 9 out of 10 happen :D

…I just want to see how they will down play the no controller ever needed BS they’ve been spewing.

8. OrbitMonkey

^ Well I doubt they’ll bother making a game that needs a controller for at least a year & when they do they’ll say it was “due to public demand”.

9. BraveArse

My bet’s always been on Acti releasing CoD with a plastic gun. They’ve got the plastic toy knowhow. Could work with both Move and Kinect IMO.

10. Erthazus

I think Activision will announce Call Of Duty exclusively for Xbox 360 :D with M-16 :D peripheral or whatever XD

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

1. Kudos to the hacker(s)…again.

2. This body/motion controller fad/thing has officially gone WAY too far….

12. Michael O’Connor

Using the WiiMote does make the whole thing slightly redundant, surely?

Someone mentioned controllers for the Kinect.. I think there’s a better alternative. For instance, a Star Wars Kinect game could come with a lightsaber peripheral that could be picked up by the sensor, and that way you could emulate both the sword fighting (using the peripheral) and force powers (using gestures).

Yes, I realise this could technically be done with the Move as well. I think the game would be great with that device too. The Move deserves far more love than its getting.

13. Mike

Star Wars Kinect is coming this year.

14. Gekidami

@12 Well that’ll be cool for a Star Wars game. But in the meantime stuff like shooters will remain nearly unplayable, i guess they could have their own peripheral… But then how are you going to move your character around in those games? Unless devs want everything to be on-rails i guess they could release a peripheral for that too… But in that case we’re pretty much coming to point where you’ll have controllers to play every type of conventional game anyway, so MS may aswell just release official, works with everything motion controllers for it.

The fact is Kinect just dosnt work when it comes to the types of games most people play on 360. I’m pretty sure MS know this full well and preparing controllers to dip into their consoles biggest market. Will it be a total 180 on their “You are the controller” motto? Yep. Does MS actually care? Nope.

15. Michael O’Connor

@13 I know this. We don’t know anything about it, which is why I was making speculation to other ways the Kinect could be use with a license like this.

@14 I agree. But then, Kinect games don’t have to be conventional genres.

16. Blerk

I like pads. Who likes pads? They’re cool and they have buttons. You press them and stuff happens. :-)