PlayStation Phone blown wide open, fully previewed in China

Friday, 7th January 2011 06:21 GMT By Patrick Garratt

pspone

Engadget’s carrying four videos of the PlayStation Phone from Chinese website IT168, and has apparently dropped full specs.

Engadget’s claiming it’s “now confirmed” that “said Xperia-branded device is powered by a Qualcomm Adreno 205 GPU, along with what’s likely to be a 1GHz Snapdragon QSD8255 as featured on the HTC Desire HD.”

Neocore is reporting an 59.1fps benchmark.

Quadrant also reports a high score of 1,733, but hey, there’s no saying that this is the final build, so the graphics performance may get even better.

There’s loads more, seemingly taken from a variety of sources. The phone is to have a battery capacity of 1,500mAh, a 854×480 resolution 4-inch LCD, a 5 megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash – but no 720p video recording, although this may just be an oversight on the part of the leakers – 512MB RAM, 512MB ROM, a microSD slot, SIM slot, micro-USB, and a second mic on the back for active noise cancellation.

The device’s game launcher is called “PlayStation Pocket.”

There’s still no date on when any of this is going to be announced, with Sony being coy on the matter despite endless, horrific leaks.

The phone’s currently codenamed Zeus, and is apparently based on PSone tech.

1. themadjock

“PSone tech” no thanks…… a downgrade from PSP then

2. Blerk

Well, it certainly looks very PSP-like. Kind of big for a phone, though?

3. Callum

Perhaps all the apple fans that have discovered themselves as mobile gamers will make the transition?

HAHAHAHA.

no, seriously.

4. xRayman

Looks really good.. gonna make my dad buy it for me >:D.
    Its not that big for a phone.. it seems like the iPhone is bigger (when its closed of curse). it can be fun to have such a thing when you’re bored in some place O:
    I NEED IT >:O!!@$

5. Psychotext

I’m really not sure about those virtual thumbsticks. I just can’t get on with them when using touchscreens.

6. Blerk

The virtual thumbsticks look like a pair of cartoon tits, as drawn by a twelve-year-old on the back of a schoolbook.

7. theevilaires

^ reminiscing about your school days eh Blerk ;)

8. Blerk

Ah… yes, yes. That’s exactly it.

/stops doodling

9. Hybridpsycho

I’m not sure what to think.

Did they compare it to the iPhone in the last video? :O

10. Goffee

Apparently they’re converting old PSP games for this but they’ll only be available in the “special” PSP Phone store – so not for the millions of existing Android users, what a crazy, screwed up product this is turning out to be…. no win all round.

11. ShakaCarnage

My phone already shits on this.

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Another Sony flop before it’s even officially announced.

This doesn’t intereset me in the slightest and I’m in the market for a new phone AND a new handheld! lol

13. Cort

Horribly uninspired and lazy case design. It is just an Experia Pro with the keys replaced with gaming controls.

PS And it is about two years too late.

14. earlyrock

Nice for a hybrid.

But if you’re loaded, just get a PSP 2 and an iPhone init.

15. combat101

I gotta say, I’m pretty disappointed with Sony. I mean come on! Did you guys learn NOTHING from the PSP Go?!?