“iPad 2″ shell casing spotted at CES

Friday, 7th January 2011 13:46 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ipad 2

iLounge has gone live with a picture of what appears to be an iPad 2 mock-up.

The shell, which was being used to demo a new charging peripheral from company Gopod, shows off a grill at the bottom and a camera.

The image comes after another company, Dexim, showed off an iPad 2 protective case at CES earlier this week.

Apple hasn’t formally announced anything yet about an iPad 2, but it’s been reported that retail employees at the company have been restricted in taking any holidays between the last week of January and the first part of February, which seems to indicate an announcement might be on the way.

Thanks, BusinessInsider.

1. Psychotext

Christ, already? The old one hasn’t even been out a year.

2. Patrick Garratt

The first one’s rubbish, innit. Not including cameras was the cheapest rip-off ploy in computing history.

3. theevilaires

and thats the reason I chose the samsung galaxy tab over apple’s bullshit. Never buy Apple first release stuff because they add shit like crappy cameras in 1 year later and call innovation….and of course the apple freaks will camp out for this over priced garbage.

4. Psychotext

Insanity, and #3 is right of course, I’m sure it’ll sell gangbusters… and 80% of the new buyers will have probably owned the first one too.

5. mingtons ghost

Apple tend to have the products on the shelfs days after their reveal so i expect this to be in shops early feb.

thats what they do isn’t it, yearly hardware upgrades, looks like its got cameras this time. The ipad came out a few months earlier in America to Europe, i think it’ll work out as 9 months between these ipad versions in the UK

i’m gonna wait till the 3rd gen

6. Patrick Garratt

The Motorola Xoom with Android 3 was announced at CES this week. Looks awesome: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Tablets/ci.MOTOROLA-XOOM-US-EN.overview

7. Suikoden Fan

Apple are the EA sports of hardware, yearly iteration that the masses will buy like sheep

8. Patrick Garratt

Also: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-comprehensive-android-honeycomb-tablet-demo-video-yet-2011-1

9. Gheritt White

Never buy *any* new tech before version three – that’s an old adage from the nineties that still applies today.

10. theevilaires

Oh no mington wait for the 5th gen when they come in different colors and they add a nice silver lining around the screen…..and call it fucking innovation :D

11. Hunam

I can agree with that. I phone 3GS was a great purchase for me. Fuck the rest of them though. Aside from 4, which is also made of win.

12. theevilaires

Very sexy Garratt, but I’m waiting for the Playbook by Rimm/Blackberry myself.

These things are the future and so cool.

13. Erthazus

iphone also is a piece of turd, like an iPad. No matter what you say people. It’s the same thing with “i” word.

@Patrick, and how much this thing costs? I’m really interested in this and Dungeon defenders. I want potential gaming tablet device. That would be cool.

Maybe i will wait for the next year for Sony and Samsung potential tablets.

But if Sony’s tablet will run Windows 7 i can give a big F about it. I hope Sony’s will run Android 3.0 with potential PSN service or similar thing.

14. onyxbox

the Apple hate in here is almost like penis envy… jeez

:D

15. Patrick Garratt

@13 – I don’t think there’s a price or date for it yet.

16. theevilaires

Sony’s tablet? Sony has a tablet coming out Erthazus!? get outta here…send me link please :D

17. Hunam

The iphone is the best phone i’ve ever had. Bar none.

18. Crysis

To me, Tablets are the pointless hybrid of smart phone & laptop, laptops are far in performance & smart phones are more convenient for mobile use.
    The tablet is as useful as having gills & lungs but not being capable of using either. Yet people line up for them, my question is why?

19. G1GAHURTZ

Fake.

20. Erthazus

@TEA, if you watched Sony’s CES Kaz Hirai said that they are working for a tablets and that they will introduce them next year.

But if they are going to be Windows 7 tablets i can give an F about it, if this is going to be Google Android 3.0 with 4G and possibly PSN integration then consider me excited.

@Crysis,
    “Yet people line up for them, my question is why?”

For me it’s reading books and browsing the net without additional lag from smartphones. I like reading books and my bookshelf is full of it and i’m tired of that. The only problem that i don’t like it’s that real books feels in your hands is a freakin awesome feel, with tablets it’s not going to be the same.
    Still, can’t disagree that LapTop is better. But for me Desktop PC is even better. Desktop PC for gaming and Tablet for browsing on the Go and playing some Dungeon Defenders.

21. earlyrock

@18 Everyone is different, that’s all I can think of.

I can see plenty of reasons why people would want them, i’d even go as far as to say i’d have one over a netbook any day. Its all about price, though.

22. Crysis

@21, netbooks are kiddy toys, try not to compare them to traditional laptops :P
    @20, fair enough. I would use my desktop for serious gaming & my laptop for on the go stuff or general browsing & lighter gaming, i admit it’s not comfortable to walk around with, but i guess comfort does sell, but im stingey when it comes to money.

23. HairyArse

Well fuck you all. :D

I have a first-generation iPad and I love it. I don’t care that it doesn’t have a camera, I certainly didn’t buy it to ever use as a Skype/chat device.

I’m sure 1st-gen iPods and iPhones were shit but I honestly have no issue with the iPad. And no I’m not an Apple fan boy. My iPhone was the first Apple device I’d ever bought.

24. Patrick Garratt

One of our laptops is a Macbook Pro, which is fully amazing. I do need a tablet, but I’m not buying a first-gen iPad, simply because I don’t think it’s anywhere near complete as a device and it’s going to be superseded so quickly. I’m sure iPad 2 will be a big improvement, so I’ll keep an eye on it, but that Xoom looks awesome. I’ll have to see.

25. Mike

iPad 2 will be iPad 1 with a camera. That’s it.

26. earlyrock

Ive been holding out for the sequel. Either that, or the first will drop in price and I’ll chicken out and buy that :D

27. earlyrock

@Pat Yeah, I’ve learned how they work from their phones. In all honestly, the two best iPhones were the 3G and the 4. The first lacked the 3G and the 3GS was only a minor improvement. Every two years seems to be the better cycle with Apple gear.

28. Mike

It might be a little bit thinner, too.

29. Cort

@24, well, it took four generations to get the iPhone right.

30. theevilaires