GeoHot releases video of PS3 Firmware 3.5 running homebrew

Friday, 7th January 2011 13:26 GMT By Patrick Garratt

geohot

While Sony’s insisting the hacked PS3 can be patched with Firmware updates, GeoHot, the hacker that originally published PS3′s root key this week, has shown the system running a homebrew app.

The guy does nothing more than show an image on the screen running off a USB key, but it’s clear enough: it does work.

The video will cause further embarrassment to Sony, who this week saw both PS3 and PSP go apparently irreversibly hacked.

The company said yesterday that it plans to “fix the issues through network updates,” despite numerous sources claiming the feat is simply impossible.

It certainly hasn’t been fixed yet, as you can see below.

Thanks, PSGroove.

1. Erthazus

He is so full of himself. Always. Thanking himself much? :D

2. StolenGlory

‘Dawg?’

What a tragically wannabe hip twat.

3. Joe Anderson

Oh look at me I hate piracy, yeah right Mr GeoHot.

4. theevilaires

Ok now get skype running on PS3, some how get custom sound tracks playing in any game, and of course the all time feature that XBOTS think LIVE is so superior to PSN the cross in game chat function. Get all those things done Geo Hot and PSN will officially be better than LIVE and even the XBOTS can say a word.

5. Fin

@theevilaires

lolz ps3 sux 360 ftw

6. Mike

“They’ve only gone and blown the bloody doors off!”

7. SPkx1

This is firmware 3.55 not 3.5.

@3 The lv2 peek and poke syscalls arent there; Backups can’t run without them

homebrew != piracy

8. themadjock

This guy is a prime tool… I don’t care for his excuse about Sony removing a feature, all this does is cause everyone else to be punished by more restrictive firmware updates, harm to developers and the game industry in general.

I also didn’t understand much of his ubertech chat and I work in IT

9. Quiiick

He’s such an attention whore.

10. ivycrew707

37 gb hard drive?

11. osric90

Sony Police: “For the information we’ve got about the kid, his modus operandi and dialect… We’ve deduced he’s black.”

12. Johnny Cullen

@11 http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/GeoHot.jpg

13. Freek

Remember XBMC? Remember how that turned the Xbox from merely a games console into an amazing media center? Better then even the Xbox 360′s media functionality now?
    Without people breaking open console hardware to run their own code, that would not be possible.

Getting mad at them becuase piracy also leaks out from that procces is a bitt like getting mad at the engeneer who made a custom car when some idiot racer wannabe uses it to break the speed limmit.

There’s always going to be people who break the rules, but don’t let that get in the way of technological innovation. And place the blame where it belongs: the actual pirates.

14. OlderGamer

Someday new pricing models, console/pc hybrids, new cloud gaming/game streaming tech becomes common place, none of these type of things will matter.

Think of it this way, what good is hacking torrenting movies to the average movie fan when they can just Netflix? It becomes more rouble then its worth. Now if movies cost 60usd, could only be played on pricey closed systems, became unsupported, were sold in chapters requiring DLC to fully watch them…you know where I am going with this.

Thats what has happend to the games industry. Every time I get a “can’t read the disc” error on my xb360 I careless. Everytime someone removes a feature, restricks a feature, or tries to control the way features should and shouldn’t be used(from Sony removing PS3 BC to a PC game with restrictive DRM, to xbla games that require me to be loged in to use em – what if I drop LIVE/my internet/or MS decides to stop supporting it like they did w/xboxone?) – I care just a little bit less then I did before.

The game industry is so tightly controled and so grossly greedy that when folks come along and open things up, I have a hard time feeling bad for the company that lost that battle.

And truth be told, Sony did lose(I don’t think), I bet they figure out a way to keep their fingers tightly gripped around their control.

All of that being said, I have zero problem paying for a service that is fairly priced. Like said Netflix. I can not wait for the day when somone offers us a gaming service for a reasonable and affordable monthly fee that gives us unlimited play across a whole host of high quality games. I hope Onlive or Giaka can deliver that. The day that happens. All of this type of stuff goes away.

15. osric90

@12 That’s why what I said if so funny.

16. xino

everyone can hate him but he is a genius man!
    he has privilege like Doc Connors/Dr Ock!

don’t RMG? what is rmg mummy/

17. jnms

@16, Spot on!!

I don’t get why people hate this situation. Total reverse logic if you ask me. People are reacting as though Geohot has commited some sort of personal crime against them.

18. DBZ0wnz

So people usually take around 2-4 YEARS average to create a single game on a console and to know that these Little fucks just ruin everything that the dev’s put effort into making, i just want to tear their fucking heads off their tiny fucking shoulders.