First Dragon Age II DLC, The Exiled Prince, announced

Friday, 7th January 2011 13:58 GMT By Johnny Cullen

dragonage2

EA’s announced the first piece of DLC for Dragon Age II, known as “The Exiled Prince”.

The first trailer for the content shows an archer named Sebastian Vael, who is out for revenge following the murder of his family. Players will join him in the middle of his quest to avenge the murders as he is the sole surviving heir and must reclaim his royal title as he directs his holy vengeance on enemies in Kirkwall.

In addition, players will also be able to enlist Sebastian as a follower throughout a majority of Dragon Age II.

“Our goal for the Dragon Age II DLC is to extend Hawke’s journey and the Dragon Age universe by introducing additional characters with meaningful storylines and intense, dynamic missions,” said Mark Darrah, the game’s executive producer. “Not only will ’The Exiled Prince’ allow players to experience Sebastian’s powerful revenge story, but they will also be able to utilize him as a follower throughout Hawke’s rise to power in Dragon Age II.”

The Exiled Prince DLC is a three-mission digital content pack and will be available for download coinciding with Dragon Age II’s retail launch. Those who pre-order Dragon Age II before January 11 will receive a free upgrade to the Dragon Age II BioWare Signature Edition, which includes additional content including The Exiled Prince DLC pack, the game’s digital soundtrack and an exclusive in-game digital armory featuring a variety of in-game weapons.

You can pre-order until January 11 – after which, the Exiled Prince will be available for purchase separately for $7.00/ 560 Microsoft Points.

The trailer’s over at RPG Site. You can also watch it below, with subtitles.

Dragon Age II releases on March 8 in the US and March 11 in the UK for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Blerk

I love these ‘buy extra content for a game that’s not out for months!’ announcements.

2. mingtons ghost

These RPG’s are always to much game for me anyways, i was perfectly content with the size of mass effect 2 without any of the add ons.

i got the free dlc missions for AC brotherhood on the PS3, didn’t touch it until after i had completed the game and by then i had lost interest and didn’t complete the missions

the only dlc i’d be interested is a proper episodic continuing narrative, as side mission….i can take um or leave um

3. Hunam

Does the standard edition not get the project $10 shit then?

4. Blerk

I just bought the ‘complete’ edition of the first one in the sales so I’ll probably be playing that until the ‘complete’ version of this one comes out!

5. mingtons ghost

Does the Signature Edition come with a helmet

6. Hunam

If you mean can you open the dvd case and put it on your head then yes, it does.

7. back_up

WTF Removing the content from game and then selling

8. mingtons ghost

@6 :) i’m gonna try that when i get home

@7 have you been in a coma these past 3 years

9. freedoms_stain

@4, me too. In fact I’ve had dragon age since it came out, but it was cheaper to buy the Ultimate edition, which comes with absolutely everything, than to buy it individually from bioware. Btw, Bioware points on pc have ensured that I will not be purchasing any pc Bioware games until a complete/ultimate edition its released. Absolute fucking rip.

10. Hunam

I think I’ll just wait this time. I got in on the ground floor with the original Dragon Age and to be honest it is one of the finest games I’ve ever played. The DLC I felt was very poor though. Awakenings was good but it failed to offer any real challenge as the higher levels are way too buff.

The second one has been pretty off since it was first announced. The lack being able to choose exactly the line your character says and having the wheel instead kind of irritates me but also the changes to the battle system and a more console focused approach are very off putting to me. The whole pre-order DLC thing is also causes a bit of ire with me as it does with all games because it’s almost taken a step too far, punishing people who perhaps can’t afford to drop cash as soon as a game comes out. I know I’m trying to limit my gaming spend these days as I really need to start saving for a place of my own.

All in all, Dragon Age 2 so far has been a confusing mess of the PR department, alienating the core PC audience that the original built as well as legitimate customers because they need to be more careful with game purchases. The GOTY edition that’ll contain everything a year after release is the best thing when it comes to Bioware games as the game has been out a while so peoples real opinions begin to shine through (think the Oblivion backlash) and all the DLC and gubbins are thrown in for free, making a package that has very good value to customers.

11. Stephany Nunneley

Post has been updated with a bit of back story on the vengeful prince.

12. SwiftRanger

I’ll be waiting a year as well for an Ultimate Edition. DLC for DA:O got way out of hand and it looks like EA/Bioware didn’t learn a thing.

13. abbe

This will not be a day 1 buy for me, the simple reason being: Signature edition is not available on Steam.
    I think I’ll just wait until its on a sale and buy the deluxe version then, shame on you EA. I thought you were cool. :(

14. ultramega

What I think a lot of you don’t understand is:
    The game is already finished, and is just going through bug testing. While some of the team is working on polishing and checking for errors in every area, the rest often moves on to a new project, or to DLC. That is the case here. BioWare is not robbing you of game content. They are not removing content already in the game, only to charge for it in the future. [The same is true with books and movies. They are finished months before release, but need time for editing, publisher approval, promotion, printing, and distribution] LRN2LOGICB4MAKINGSUCHSTATEMENTS.
    ____