Square announces Tomb Raider Trilogy pack for March release

Thursday, 6th January 2011 14:14 GMT By Johnny Cullen

tombraideruderworlda5

Square Enix has just announced the Tomb Raider Trilogy pack for PS3 on Blu-ray.

The pack will contain Tomb Raider: Legend, Tomb Raider: Anniversary and the previously released Tomb Raider: Underworld.

It’ll release on March 25. It’ll also feature a theme pack, a female Lara Croft Home avatar outfit, the viking thrall male Home avatar outfit and “and a collection of “making of” trailers in HD for the entire series.”

“We’re really excited to be able to offer gamers the chance to play both Legend and Anniversary ‘remastered in high definition on the PlayStation 3,” said Crystal Dynamics boss, Darrell Gallagher.

Underworld is currently also available as a digital download on the PS Store.

Square Enix announced a massive Tomb Raider reboot just before Christmas, featuring a younger Lara Croft. It’ll release on PS3, 360 and PC, although there’s been no date for that yet.

1. earlyrock

Crap it. I’ve just downloaded Underworld from PSN!

Still, nice box set anyway.

2. Quiiick

On BluRay and/or as DLC?

3. Blerk

Is it confirmed whether Legend and Anniversary are HDified PS2 versions or ports of the 360 versions? It sounds like the former, which is… sort of a weird thing to do. Although they were still excellent games on PS2.

4. Johnny Cullen

Blu-ray.

5. Suikoden Fan

i wanna know if underworld comes with the exclusive dlc the 360 got

6. Blerk

I don’t remember that at all!

7. Suikoden Fan

Just found out that underworld in this set DOES NOT come with its dlc

8. mojo

trilogy?
    in my book the series has quite a few more titles then just 3..
    its a difference whether u call something a trilogy or 3 games

9. Suikoden Fan

@mojo these 3 games form a trilogy storyline wise

10. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Good question #5, let’s hope so as it surely should.

Question. Does it matter whether this is a port of the X360 versions, or an upgrade of the PS2 versions? I’m just curious, what might the differences be?

Huge fan. Day 1 buy for me.

11. Suikoden Fan

@10 it doesnt, they said it doesn’t, so no lara shadoow and the other one

12. locus2k1

Thank god there wasn’t Angel of Darkness included!

13. Blerk

They don’t form a trilogy story-wise. Underworld follows on from Legend, but Anniversary is a rejig of the original Tomb Raider and doesn’t continue the story of the other two.

14. Mauller

Will it support an HD Nude Raider patch?

15. Suikoden Fan

@Blerk let me rephares then they kinda form a trilogy story wise with anniversary pushed in

and without spoiling the villian of anniversary is in underworld and it mentions events from that game this making it part of the story

16. Blerk

It doesn’t really matter, anyway – Anniversary’s the best one by a long shot. :-)

17. mojo

#9 “@mojo these 3 games form a trilogy storyline wise”

oh realy? ive only played underworld (which was ok) and wasnt aware of that..
    fair enough then.

18. Suikoden Fan

@blerk, nah cant agree that was the wekest in my eyes, i got bored way too often, legends is the best of the 3

19. TraceableX

PS2 versions? WTF!! Those three originally released for the PS3. Not like GoW or Splinter Cell trilogies.

I have the PC versions anyway.

@Dr.Ghettoblaster: Yes it does matter; it’s like playing Black Ops Wii version on the PS3.

20. Blerk

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one, Suikoden. :-)

TraceableX, only Underworld released on PS3. The other two only appeared on PS2 and 360.

21. Suikoden Fan

@Blerk agree to disagreee i can live with that, but i’ll tell you why i prefered it, the story in legends was better than underworld while anniversary had an almost non existant story

22. Dr.Ghettoblaster

TraceableX, I get that, I’ve played the PS2 versions.

My question is though, why are people asking whether these (Underworld aside ofcourse) are ports of the already HD 360 versions, or upgrades of the PS2 versions. I’m wondering, what would it matter really, wouldn’t the end result be identical? Or perhaps not?

I ofcourse, being the graphics whore that I am, want the best looking versions possible.

23. Blerk

I dunno, I’m not sure what the differences were. I guess that’s the real question – did the 360 versions have any notable improvements over the PS2 originals or were they themselves really just “upscales”?

24. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Not sure, but i remember the PC version having an option in the settings menu for regular visuals or “enhanced”. At the time i had an older card and when I tried “enhanced” it added a TON of additional shrubbry, shadows, water and lighting effects, looked beautiful, but my frame rate went south into the near single digits so it was unplayable for me.

When i played the 360 demo of legend, it looked just like the enhanced setting on my pc, but at a solid frame rate. Legend on PS2 was the NON enhanced look as well.

I only bring this up cause that’s my only knowledge of the difference between the original PS2 version of Legend and the 360 version (which I ONLY played the demo of).

25. HighWindXIX

If Square is gonna release Tomb Raiders in HD, they should really, really release the PS2 Final Fantasy games in HD as well. I mean, come on.