Razer announces a new mobile PC gaming concept design called Switchblade

Thursday, 6th January 2011 16:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

switchbladesexypantsdamn

Razer has announced a “new mobile PC gaming concept” called Switchblade, which supposedly “redefines” the mouse and keyboard interface for mobile gamers.

Powered by the Intel Atom, it contains an “ultra-sensitive” multi-touch screen which replaces the traditional mouse and keyboard interface and includes a dynamic tactile keyboard which adjusts the configuration and key layout “on-the-fly” based on game content and user requirements.

“The main problem with mobile PC gaming so far is that no one has been able to port the full mouse and keyboard experience onto a small size portable solution,” said Min-Liang Tan, CEO and creative director, Razer.

“By combining adaptive on-the-fly controls and display, we managed to maintain the full tactile keyboard in a miniature computer while saving valuable screen estate.

“With our established focus on human interface devices, moving the mouse and keyboard experience to the next level was a natural step. Razer isn’t just about bringing innovation to the PC, but creating products that will change the future of gaming. The Razer Switchblade is one such product.”

Just a concept at moment, the Razer Switchblade is a hot-looking portable gaming device with two multi-touch seven-inch screens in a netbook sized portable medium. It’s 3G-connected and has HDMI-outs so you can hook it to your television.

If this thing hits the market, you’ll likely see fellow train and bus passengers playing their MMOs on the way to work in the mornings.

Watch a video featuring it below. We’ve sent a mail to get more information on it.

1. Stephany Nunneley

Must. Have. The Precious. Now.

2. EscoBlades

WANT!! *drools*

3. OlderGamer

But price and power? Gotta know thos b4 we get too excited.

4. blackdreamhunk

dude i want that, that is crazy i want that O.O

5. theevilaires

Ok first of all the screen is too fucking (laughable) small. The PSP screen looks bigger. That or thats a PC mouse version of the XBOX Duke controller :D

Second…why is that Asian dud talking all mystical like he just found a way to travel through time or something. Its a PC gaming netbook dude get over yourself.

Third…it has 3G and HDMI out (LMAO) thats a big plus in 2011 huh :D

6. Blerk

I like the keys thing! That’s super-neato!

7. Michael O’Connor

Nice in concept, but if this was a reality, I can’t see it working quite so well in practise. We’ll have to wait and see, I guess.

8. blackdreamhunk

@5 it’s pc gaming on the fly away from home from your real pc.

9. theevilaires

^ wow really….still sucks. I rather use remote play on my PSP and play PS3 games :D

10. freedoms_stain

Can I just have the keyboard for my desktop?

11. KrazyKraut

@olderGamer me too^^

12. Crysis

Atom processor & gaming do not go hand in hand, even some phones have more power, most newer tablets are more powerful, but for portable gaming, just do yourself a favour & get a decent 15″ laptop, you can get some for $500 with half-decent graphics cards built in, but serious gaming should be left with the desktop, at least when it has become outdated it’s not a monster to upgrade & the $500 should be able to run most modern games on low settings.
    I’ve shamefully seen several netbooks priced higher than true laptops, wtf is up with that!? we pay more for less =\
    I guess if you have the upper body strength of a 3yo girl it’s understandable to complain about the weight…

13. Stephany Nunneley

TEA – if your PSP screen looks bigger, you need new eyes.

14. blackdreamhunk

depends on how portable you want to be what kind of weight you want to carry.

15. theevilaires

@13 well I also think you’re pretty so I guess I do need new eyes ;) (runs away to N4G and hides amongst the rest of SONY SHEEP) :D

16. abbe

@5: You’ve never seen an Apple Iphone/Ipad Commercial have you? :D

17. earlyrock

@13 Aha :D

18. Stephany Nunneley

@15 nice compliment from a 13 year old there *OOOO BURN!!!!!* :D :D

19. theevilaires

You got the number 13 right but that doesn’t apply to my age sweety ;) feel free to hit me up on PSN if you want a peek :D

20. Stephany Nunneley

Rawr. :D

21. theevilaires

(plugs in PSeye ,unzips ,waits for friend invite while watching 40 year old virgin) :D

Bring it red head!

ROARS! ;)

22. earlyrock

IQ? :D

23. Erthazus

That is super sexy device.

PSP1 or PSP 2 with 1 GB Ram can get the fuck out.

This thing is fucking amazing. AMAZING. I will buy it first day it will arrive. Thats the only product that i’m interested from CES. + it’s the most powerfull handheld on the market.

It’s fucking fantastic. The only thing that i don’t like that you need to carry mouse with yourself, but everything else is just perfect. Buttons are “OOOOOOW GEEZUS!2″

I hope that Razer will make a keyboard with these things. That is freakin great.

Imagine playing Battlefield:Bad Company 2, Call Of Duty or World Of Warcraft on this thing.

24. hellcritz

The whole new concept of portability and high and gaming makes me shiver, not to mention an all new gaming experience by playing using a Multi-Touch Screen and User Interface Keyboard

Do check my blog, I’ve posted a full review about this product
    Razer Switchblade | Price | Spec | Review | Pictures

25. Erthazus

The only problem with this is going to be the price. It’s OLED keyboard after all.

But i don’t care.

26. NeoSquall

Looks hot, but I don’t know if I would get this because I feel much pain while using smaller keyboards.
    I can’t even use my laptop keyboard too much.

27. Freek

Would everybody still go nutss for it the moment the 5000 dollar price tag hits? If this was ever going to be real.
    Just so you can play games on the move that are not in any way shape or form designed to be played in the mobile space?
    No, you would call Razer fools. Because they were being foolish.

The PSP has already shown that people do not want a “full sized console” experience on the move. They want smaller, bite sized games. Games that don’t focus so much on visuals as they do on fun accesable gameplay.

28. Quiiick

“… Second…why is that Asian dud talking all mystical like he just found a way to travel through time or something.”

LOL! :)
    He’s such a douche.

29. Callum

Argh! I had the idea for this keyboard years ago. I wanted a custom layout per game to appear when you hit the exe, even working with in game symbols so little icons could appear instead of letters. DAMNIT they stole my idea from my brain!!

30. Callum

@Freek, go to Japan. Sit on a train. Retract your statement.