Report – Custom Firmware now able to be installed on PS3s

Wednesday, 5th January 2011 08:40 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ps3slim2

According to a Kotaku report, custom Firmware updates are now able to be installed on PS3s.

Someone known as KaKaRoTo has released the tools to allow users to create a custom Firmware via Linux. He says the release of the tools are “really meant for future homebrew installation,” and is not supposed to “allow piracy”.

For a custom Firmware to work, it has to match the official version that’s currently on connected PS3s – in this case, that would be V3.55.

The news comes on the back of hacker Geohot exposing PS3′s root key, apparently leaving the machine wide open for good.

In addition, hacker team Fail0verflow told the 27th Chaos Communication Conference last month that the system is now so vulnerable that hackers now have the exact same privileges as Sony in deciding what code can run on the console.

The stripping of PS3′s security systems is likely have serious implications for piracy for the console and Sony, who have still not responded to the matter.

1. Blerk

And so it begins….

2. barchetta

I guess these firmware patches will be widely available by the time the ‘car boot season’ kicks in. Christ, it’ll like the old Amiga days…

3. Blerk

Six games on a single disc with a cracker intro featuring badly-drawn nudey women and sweary scrolling messages? :-)

4. KrazyKraut

the beginning of the end….

5. Psychotext

“Six games on a single disc with a cracker intro featuring badly-drawn nudey women and sweary scrolling messages?”

Ahh.. but the music, the music was so good. :D

6. Blerk

I hope they keep the ‘your security sucks ass’ intro smack-talk.

7. Gadzooks!

Oh, and an Amiga emulator would be awesome!

8. KrazyKraut

“Fingers crossed for some bright spark to release a PS2 emulator on custom firmware. I’d love to revisit some of the PS2 games I have stashed away in the attic.”

yes….revisiting? most ppl think like you….but they will use isos… :(

9. Aimless

A properly functioning PS2 emulator wouldn’t require a bright spark so much as a radiant forest fire.

10. NeoSquall

Seems like I’ll have to finish at least once my games before Sony unleashes the shitstorm and shuts down everything…

11. Deacon

I’m really torn as to whether this is going to be a good or a bad thing. Primarily I hope it doesn’t put off any third party developers.

The thought of having Dreamcast, N64, Megadrive & SNES emulators is pretty alluring.

Very few people condone piracy…. but I bet most wouldn’t bat an eyelid given the tools to get games for free.

12. Hybridpsycho

To all the idiots talking about old emulators etc, why do you wait for a PS3 hack for this?

Just get a really cheap PC and you’ve got all the Emulators, congrats.

13. Deacon

Wow. I like, never thought of that.

I don’t want to wank around with my ageing PC, going out of my way to procure a decent PC controller (if such a thing even exists) only to have the emulator not like my graphics card or crash constantly.

Oh but what’s this? some clever f**k has arranged and presented these emulators in a nice tidy package which I can slap on a USB drive and bang straight into my PS3 and play with my Dualshock? Yeah. I’ll take it.

PC emulators (in my experience) can be pretty hit and miss.

14. Hybridpsycho

Only PC emulator I ever had problems with was mah PS2 one, but that was like…3 years ago? :/

So, getting an emulator for zeh PS3 and posibly fucking up alot of game devs…or just getting it for the PC 4-5 years earlier?

Yes, it’s almost been 5 years since the PS3 was released and you people have been waiting for it since then? Geez, that doesn’t at all seem like more trouble than just getting the emulator on a PC.

15. Deacon

I fannied around with some emulators a while back too… I was stoned / bored and craving some nostalgia.

I haven’t been ‘waiting’ for PS3 ems. I can barely stay on top of all the current-gen releases. But, as with cheap PSN demos and minis, it would be a nice addition to an already massively useful machine.

And I still contest that emulator on varying-spec PC with varying stability & performance + shitty cheap game pad / keyboard & dusty 16″ monitor loses pretty badly to standardised-spec PS3 emulator + dualshock + 42″ LCD.

If there’s any chance it’ll screw my PS3 then I’ll pass.

Not even Spy vs Spy or Zybex is worth a pretty black brick.