Which? survey shows secondhand stores paying peanuts for trade-ins

Tuesday, 4th January 2011 18:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

damnit

Consumer group Which? has found some retailers which accept used games pay less than 30 percent of the game’s total retail worth.

Which?’s findings were concluded after trading-in various titles of varying ages to different retail outlets, and found that GAME – as one example – offered £16.70 for a “mint condition” three-day old copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops, which would run a consumer £44.99 brand new.

The survey also found that secondhand store CEX offered the best prices for cash or credit trade-ins, with GAME and Blockbuster handing out the lowest numerical trade-in value.

Mark-ups on the used products were shown to be astronomical in some instances, with Blockbuster handing over £6 for a used copy of Red Dead Redemption, before selling it on for £29.95.

Thanks, GI.biz.

[pic]

1. Hunam

What’s a $?

2. Joe Anderson

Doesn’t surprise me with GAME,they are ok online, but why anyone still shops in their stores is beyond me.

3. OlderGamer

The amount of mark up on second hand game sales is what gets to me the most. They will take my game for 6usd and yet sitting the shelf they are selling the same game used for 35usd.

4. AHA-Lambda

“GAME – as one example – offered £16.70 for a “mint condition” three-day old copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops, which would run a consumer £44.99 brand new.”

WHAT?!?!

Amazon’ll give you £30 for god sake!!

5. LOLshock94

hmv gives the best money for games then CEX

6. Rhythm

Anybody using a shop to trade is a total and utter fool. The only winner in that deal is the shop. Either sell privately or use ebay/Playtrade

7. jnms

This just goes to show that people are idiots. Most times I am in GAME or GameStation I see people taking in piles of games and only getting a few quid.

Don’t they realise this is what eBay and Amazon Marketplace are for?

8. reask

Yeah I made a point of hanging on to my games about a year ago.
    There prices on trade ins are a joke.

9. Deacon

I know numerous people who trade their games in for next to nothing. Complete apes.

I know it’s been said many times before, but considering the re-sell price, I really REALLY wish someone would pass a law that sees the developers & publishers take a cut on used game sales.

10. freedoms_stain

I’ve never traded in a game, I always end up with a massive backlog of games, so I know by the time I get around to finishing most games the trade in value will be particularly shitty. Therefore there’s more value in keeping a hold of games for the prospects of swapping with mates or the slim chance I might play them again.

11. mojo

it always was beyond me why someone would ever trade in games.
    The moment u buy them there worthless in comparison to what u did pay for it.
    trading on private basis is absolutely ok, but the day wher i go to gamestop giviong them a brand new game for some 10 bucks will never come.

12. tenthousandgothsonacid

The best way to do it is to print out how much cex will give you from their website than take this to Gamestation who will match it plus one pound. Get cash rather than trade in and buy your games online/from the supermarkets. Gives me something to do in my lunch hours :)

13. russdude13

So where am I suppose to trade in my old games?

14. Howie Feltersnatch

^
    1. Shrink wrap machine (bags and gun).
    2. Wal-Mart