Recettear passes 100,000 sales, Chantelise confirmed as dev’s new project

Tuesday, 4th January 2011 06:31 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110104chantelise_hg

Publisher Carpe Fulgur has revealed that its localisation of Japan-developed shopkeeping sim Recettear has topped 100,000 sales, and that the firm’s next project is action-RPG Chantelise.

Co-founder Andrew Dice made both announcements on his blog (via Rock, Paper, Shotgun).

According to Dice, a large proportion of the sales were discounted, significantly reducing income, and the majority of revenue is passed back to developer EasyGameStation.

Nevertheless, the Carpe Fulgar team feels confident enough to move onto other projects, perhaps adding English voice-over to Recettear or creating console ports before focusing on the newly-confirmed Chantelise.

Chantelise’s title is a portmanteau of the names of protagonist sisters Chante and Elise, and is a fully 3D action-RPG from Recettear developer EasyGameStation.

Wandering under a red moon, one of the duo is transformed into a diminutive fairy, and the two embark on a combat-heavy quest to hunt down a forest witch who may hold the answer to their size-related issue.

Carpe Fulgur intends to release an English-language version some time this year.

An independent localisation and distribution company, Carpe Fulgur was founded in 2009 with the noble manifesto of delivering quality Japanese localisations by collaborating with original content producers.

1. Suikoden Fan

one of the best games of last year, if you dont have it, get it, no excuses

2. Old MacDonald

Glad Recettear was a success for them, I’ve never really understood why so few Japanese PC-games ever get English-language versions.

Recettear was quite fun too, so it deserved the success. Looking forward to Chantelise.

3. Suikoden Fan

here’s agreat link about Chantelise

4. Blerk

I meant to pick this up in the Steam sale and somehow managed to miss it. Darn.

5. SplatteredHouse

This is the discouraging thing with PC games, that I’m finding. Chances are, if I could buy it direct, I’d do that – provided I like the demo, ofc. If I could buy it from a service I already have an account for, ok… that’s not so bad. But, I don’t support Steam. I refuse to. To do so, would (as one example) contribute towards a damaging monopoly.
    It’s just not going to happen, until they give their middle-men the indirect boot, even as much as the game may sound promising, and I may like to encourage the steps they’re taking. Their choice of suitors leave me unable to do so. Check a PC link, for a game I would want to try and the target is all-too-often: store.steampowered.com…Excellent! *sarcasm* Interest evaporates, and I’ll go find something else.

PC, and Steam REALLY ought not to become interchangeable terms.