OnLive has announced it’s not only partnering with SRS Labs to deliver surround sound to users of its service in early 2011, but that until January 9 you can get 33 percent off the OnLive game system along with a free game of your choice.
According to OnLive’s blog, the system will run you $66 and also includes a free PlayPack Beta as part of its CES celebration.
Now, onto the surround sound bits.
SRS 5.1 surround sound, according to the press release, will be delivered to users via a free update in early 2011 along with 3D support.
Here’s what the surround sound update can do for you:
- Produces surround sound from any audio material, including multichannel, stereo and mono audio sources
- Delivers both multichannel and front-rendered surround sound, depending on playback configuration
- Streams surround over bit rates as low as 96kbps
- Ensures smooth steering and full bandwidth for a seamless and immersive surround environment
- Is backwards compatible with legacy matrix decoders and stereo
More information on all the above can be found via OnLive’s official site.