Capcom blames Sony for lack of visible alternate SSFIV costumes on PS3

Tuesday, 4th January 2011 18:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ssfiv costume

Capcom has said the reason Super Street Fighter IV players on PS3 can’t see alternate costumes downloaded and worn by opponents is all down to Sony.

According to Capcom community manager Seth Killian, the reason Xbox 360 players can see the alternate costumes on opponents even when the player hasn’t downloaded the attire themselves, is because Microsoft covers the cost of making additional data available to users whereas Sony doesn’t.

“The DLC for the newest costumes is additional data that must be put on your machines from the first-party networks (XBL and PSN),” wrote Killian wrote on Capcom’s forums.

“When you add new data to an existing product, there are significant costs to do so charged by the first parties. On XBL, those costs were covered by Microsoft. As a result, the data is distributed to everyone, so even if you have not bought the new costumes, you can still see them if you’re fighting against someone that has because you still received the new data required to display them.

“For Sony, those significant costs are not covered. As a result, you only get the new costume data when you actually buy the costumes. Those that don’t buy the costumes can’t see them, because the new costume data isn’t present on your machine, and so you only see costumes you already have the data to represent.

“The story is a bit more complicated because the costs of adding new data vary by region in some cases, and some additions are free, or free within a certain timeframe, etc., but the bottom line in this particular case is that Sony would [have] charged Capcom significant fees for distributing the new costume data to users that hadn’t actually bought the DLC. Microsoft covered those costs, so the costume data is visible to all there.”

So, basically, what this means is that if you’re buying the alternate costumes just to show-off on PS3, it won’t do you any good. Blame Sony.

1. LOLshock94

hmmmmmmmmmmm and sony fanboys dont comment?

me wonder why

2. Dralen

No-one’s commenting because no-one cares.

3. lexph3re

Reason why is because capcom is full of it. We can’t see alternate costumes because of sony? Yet on blazeblue cs you can see and play characters you don’t own like valkenhyne or makoto? That’s bull on capcoms part

4. spiderLAW

am i missing something here? i see alternate costumes on my opponents just fine and i dont own the costume packs.

5. Razor

Can’t David Reeves organise a truce?

6. lexph3re

Its the recent barrage of costume capcom has be releasing on ssf4 to milk money. They need to just release the A.E patch to upgrade/fix the damn game and stop. With this extra not needed bull sh*t they been sending out. I only buy the map packs with cody and the others are bonuses

7. Patrick Garratt

@5 – :D

8. earlyrock

@2 +1

9. SlayerGT

I don’t pay a fee to play online. I can’t complain even if I gave two shits.

10. revsoul

11. ton77

@revsoul

im pretty sure he means XBL in general so it doesnt matter. hes talking about costs and everyone knows you need Live anyways but thats besides the point.

FAIL.

12. Psychotext

“It must be stated that only “gold” subs on Xbox have this perk, “silver” members do not.”

I’d have thought that was fairly obvious… by virtue of the fact that silver members wont ever be seeing another player online. :D

13. Gekidami

Revsoul’s comment flew over more heads then the Red Arrows.

14. OlderGamer

@13 maybe he should have end it with a bazinga or something.

15. revsoul

@11 & 12
    …so….you understand my point then?

16. theevilaires

@ 2 +500 :D SFIV is pure shit. The worst fighting game ever made. I wouldn’t even play it further to get a platinum trophy. I hate it. Tekken ftw!

17. OlderGamer

Tekken stinks, gimmie Battle Arena Toshinden!

18. theevilaires

^ you smoke marijuana don’t you. :D

19. OlderGamer

I mean Tekken is alright, if you like pretty graphics, flashy moves, lots of chars, gameplay balance and a polar bear that eats things, but pish childs play next to the mighty BAT!

20. SlayerGT

Ah O.G. pullin out the PS1 fighters of old =) I was a big fan of Bushido Blade.

21. Stephany Nunneley

……”and a polar bear that eats things”

I haven’t played this game yet WHY? That right there is the selling point!

22. spiderLAW

All fighting games are shit compared to Street Fighter.
    1) Street Fighter
    2) Smash Brothers
    3) Mortal Kombat
    4) Tekken
    5) Virtua Fighter
    6) King of Fighters
    7) Bloody Roar
    8 ) Guilty Gear

23. OlderGamer

Good lord Spider you had till I read Mortal Kombat. Almost anything Capcom > Mortal Kombat. Same with SNK. But really 2D vs 3D is kind of an apples vs oranges type thing.

24. lexph3re

Believe it or not spider I prefer tekken to sf. But soul calibur is the champ for me and my friends. Hoping 5 fixes the mistakes 4 left. Because broken destiny can only be appreciated by so many.

25. spiderLAW

Hey, Mortal Kombat 3 was amaizing sauce. And Mortal Kombat Deception wasnt bad either. Im basing it off those two games.
    Here then
    Super Street Fighter 4 (or Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike)
    Super Smash Bros Melee
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Tekken Tag Tournament or Tekken 5
    Soul Caliber 2
    Vurtua Fighter 5
    King of Fighters (any really, but i do love 2002)
    Bloody Roar 2
    Guilty Gear X2

Edit: I forgt about Soul Caliber. I think Soul Caliber 2 was the best one. Broken Destiny is great but i dont consider it because its a hand held.
    Check the updated list above.

And besides, OG is basically right, Apples and Oranges.
    And how dare you talk like you are a street fighter fan Lex and trade over to Tekken as better. GTFO mang…. lol jk jk. to each his own.

26. OlderGamer

The trouble is that most fighters are all offensive flash.

Most capcom games have offensive and deffensive balance. Same with Tekken, VF, and SNK. Guilty Gear is also well done.

Balance mind you is not just a correctly timed button press for a counter.

But just my two cents worth I guess. I used to enjoy fighters a lot in years gone by, now my mind can keep up, but not my fingers lol. I am still getting MvC3 dayone tho, I just know enough not to challange Mington(or spider for that matter) online!

27. spiderLAW

I too am getting MvC3 day 1. For PS3 so if you gonna be getting it for that system, its on yo. SpIdErLaW is my PSN tag.
    Mington would probably whipe the floor with me :(
    And which Spider are you reffering to?
    Lexph3re will probably be a beast at it too

28. MushroomStamp

Dead Or Alive! FTW!

29. lexph3re

Lol spider I am a fan! A fan of both! But tekken is better to me, tekken 6 seemed to be slow and restricted to bounce combos but better then the brokeness of tekken 5 dark resurrection where baek could combo you then keep you in the air from one side to the next.lol oh I dreaded those days…. smh.

But, ssf4 is a step backwards while moving forwards to me. Still a lot of things I miss from 3rd strike era. The only reason I got ssf4 anyways was because of Cody

30. SplatteredHouse

@25: Tekken’s a great game, but VF4 Evo beats all. @29: Are you looking forward to 3rd Strike online, a lot?

31. lexph3re