ITV Player and 4OD now available on UK PS3s

Tuesday, 14th December 2010 13:44 GMT By Patrick Garratt

4od

You can now watch on-demand content from Channel 4 and ITV on your PS3 if you live in the UK. Let the good times roll.

It was reported this was happening this week yesterday. There’s nothing more to say. Sorry; apparently there is, as per the PS Blog:

To start watching, simply connect your PS3 to the Internet, sign into your PSN account and then select the TV icon on the XMB (Xross Media Bar) and opt for the ITV Network triangle or 4oD.

This will take you directly to the service where you can watch popular programmes from the last 30 days, free of charge.

Never miss your favourite programmes with ITV Player and 4oD on PS3.

So. Next year, then. Kind of wish it would hurry up.

1. renegadegd

Its kind of shocking how low key this is. Why are Sony not boasting about how the ps3 got it and the 360 didn’t?

2. vincentw00t

@1 To be fair, ITV isn’t really something that merits boasting about.

3. Joe Anderson

@2 to be fair I’d say it is, ITV 2 has some pretty decent programs and its on there. Also 4OD is a huge scoop.

@1 Supposedly there is going to be loads of marketing in the new year in this respect.

4. vincentw00t

And 4OD doesn’t seem to offering a lot:

Alan Carr: The Wearing Glasses and Shouting Show
    Shockingly Titled, Yet Unfathomably Boring Documentary
    The Loud, Gurny-Faced Woman’s Impression Show
    Something For Teenages
    Imported American Dross
    Thought From A Pseud
    Broad Comedy Panel Show

Not much of a line up, where’s Peep Show?

5. Blerk

Does it have ITV4? I think that’s the only one I ever watch – it has some half-decent films on sometimes.

6. cookiejar

^Yep, all ITV channels. Apart from maybe the kids one.

7. Michael O’Connor

People still watch television?

8. RoarrrUK

Yes they do Michael, yes they do.

9. Michael O’Connor

*in shock*

10. Aimless

@5 Yeah, the latter ITV channels sometimes (re)run some decent stuff, like Wire In The Blood.

It’s worth mentioning that Irish users have also been given unannounced access to the RTÉ Player. That doesn’t mean much to me personally, but I’m sure someone’s got to be happy about it.

11. reask

^ yeah was just about to post that for the Irish readers.

12. Michael O’Connor

The RTE player?

…really? Okay, now I’m slightly more interested.

*turns in his PS3 for the first time in weeks*

13. G1GAHURTZ

I used to use my PS3 to watch missed episodes of Escape to the Country on BBCi Player all the time!

Using a PS3 instead of a PC for this stuff is convenient, but a bit clunky.

14. theevilaires

^ so what do you do with it now. Haven’t seen you online PSN in ages. Poor PS3 probably being used as target practice for improving your CoD skills :D

15. StolenGlory

Holy shit this is a slow news day for you guys :)

16. onlineatron

So are the new players apps or browser-based?

Do they contain all the back-catalogue content the websites include (i.e every episode of the IT Crowd?)

17. Michael O’Connor

@16 The RTE one is browser based, but designed to view on TGV, and it runs full screen so it’s practically impossible to tell.

Don’t know about the rest.

18. cookiejar

They are all browser based. Web apps basically.

I would like to see a proper app like LF or MUBI further down the line. The MUBI one has a stunning UI.

19. varsas

@vincentw00t: No love for IT Crowd or Misfits?

20. onlineatron

Does 4OD have the same content as it has on the actual website?

21. G1GAHURTZ

@ tea:

I left it in the UK too. I’m not sure if it’s worth getting another one for over here, as I only really used it to watch BBCi Player (which only works in the UK) on my TV and maybe play CoD4 once in a while…

If any of the UK VoD services worked over here, I would probably get one again, though.

I tried to get the Sky Player on my 360, but I couldn’t register as I’m not in the UK anymore.

22. The_Deleted