Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced at VGAs, releases next November

Sunday, 12th December 2010 01:23 GMT By Johnny Cullen

tes v

Todd Howard has just appeared at the VGAs to finally announced the much rumoured Elder Scrolls sequel, known as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The game is a direct sequel to TES IV: Oblivion, as previously reported last month.

Howard reiterated earlier tonight that the game had been in the works for the past two years, something he first said at QuakeCon.

It’ll launch on November 11, 2011. No platforms confirmed. Get the debut trailer below.

1. Erthazus

Skyrim? Fuck this…
    Shitty northern province … Skyrim…

I hope they will make it awesome, not like Oblivion. Better like Morrowind or Daggerfall than good.

2. Moonwalker1982

Skyrim? Never heard of it, how do you know it will be shitty?

Anyway…a new Elder Scrolls, OMFG!!!!!

3. OrbitMonkey

Ok Bethesda, you’ve pretty much already got my money. Could you please update the games engine & get launch with fewer glitches? Please?

4. Moonwalker1982

I think they already said that it was still gonna use that same engine, right?

5. Erthazus

@Moonwalker, that just shows that you know about Elder scrolls lore a lot.
    It’s not shit, it’s a northern province of the Elder scrolls universe. I just don’t see it for the epic scale. Don’t like Nords and etc. Thats just me.

Nords race home btw

6. David Sarkisjan

@4 That would be unacceptable in my view.

7. Moonwalker1982

@ 5

Did i ever claim to know alot about Elder Scrolls? For me it all started with Oblivion and not the previous ones.

8. JUSTICAR

Dude!!! impossible!!! i loved Oblivion, but There are several games (which i will definitely buy)like witcher and Dragon age that are already in competition…so, Bethesda, you have unprizable opponents, make something legendary, u did this before, you can do this now!!!

9. Erthazus

@7 “For me it all started with Oblivion and not the previous ones.”

Ahh.. sorry then. Than know this it’s a Nord home place. Probably going to be a place with a lot of snow.

10. Moonwalker1982

Wait…didn’t Tod Howard say it would use a updated Fallout 3 engine? Updated Gamebryo engine. @9 Ok thanks…can’t wait for more information and/or screens.

11. Erthazus

I think Todd Howard will to do something like Bloodmoon but with bigger scale this time, i could be wrong.

But i wish he will fix everything what was wrong with Oblivion and just make it like the last two games.

At least like Morrowind. If he will make it like Morrowind i will be in heaven.

12. Moonwalker1982

Trailer!!!!!!!

13. M2Kx

OMMMMFFFFGGGG!!!

That’s the most anticipated game! I hope they will finally bring a new engine. If not, it has to be f***** bug free!

Still, totally hyped for this! <3

14. Dralen

I think I just shit my pants! I didn’t think this was ever going to come out. Oh wow, I’m just so excited for this game.

15. Uncontested

More evil dragons? ugh come on.

Dragon Age already does this, and Divinity II for that matter.

I suppose as long as I don’t have to spend hours doing the same stupid daedric fire area (the gates or w/e) over and over like in oblivion.

16. Zurtech

Awesome Skyrim, home of the Nords, dragons, werewolves and SNOW!!! What’s not to love? ^_^

17. revolting

Excellent! I’ve been a fan of the series from the very begining, TES: Arena, but unlike most TES fans, IV was my favourite. Can’t wait for this.

I only hope they hire more than 4 voice actors this time. Voice overs are definately an improvement from the text boxes of yore, but not when they break the immersion Attack of the Clones style. They appear to have done a slightly better job with this with the Fallouts, atleast, and I’m fairly certain that was Max von Sydow narrating the trailer, which is a pretty good sign. Unless he absorbs the entire actor’s budget like Sir Patrick and Sean Bean appeared to have last time.

18. OrbitMonkey

I bet MS have already paid up for some kind of exclusivity deal -_-

19. Moonwalker1982

@ 13

“Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard explained in a separate interview with IGN that his game would not use id Tech 5. The studio’s new engine built for its upcoming title is more beneficial to creating huge, open-world games, such as Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, while id Tech 5 is better for more contained environments. ”

“We decided to really reboot our technology after Fallout 3, so we had been making plans for that and started doing some things. The id thing came along later, so it’s a mix of that plus the kinds of games we do are a bit bigger and more dynamic.

“In an interview with IGN at Quakecon in August, Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard confirmed the developer’s new, and still unannounced, title would not be using id Software’s Rage engine, id Tech 5. Instead, Bethesda has created an entirely new game engine. ”

20. freedoms_stain

@19, both good and bad news in my view. They definitely need a new engine, but if they’d been reusing gamebryo I was hoping they would fix all the technical issues fallout3 has with modern PC hardware (multicore processors, windows7, newer nvidia gpu’s) in TES V and backport them to FO3.

Still, pumped to the max for TEA V!

21. droenn

@18 TES has been a PC title all the way up to IV. V won’t be an exclusive title, that’s almost guaranteed.

22. aleph31

They should return to Morrowind standards:

– No incremental enemy level. It’s plain stupid to see a farmer with a daedric armour! In Morrowind, it was a pleasure to reach a very high level and slain poor enemies that were dreadful at the middle of game.

– Massive (no, Oblivion wasn’t massive) world map.

– Larger storyplay (you guessed it, like in Morrowind). More guilds, more missions on each storyline.

– No sequential gameplay. Oblivion was sand-box, but Morrowind was much better at this. I could reach a place full of golden saints and say: “ok, we’ll see again in 15 days, after I grow stronger”. No blocked areas, please!!!

– More god-level items (ok, no robe of st. roris, but you know what I mean, Oblivion was shit at items that made you a demigod)

– Better system to design superb god-level enchanted items.

– And finally, I want to levitate!!!

To sum up, this should be a Morrowind sequel, not an Oblivion sequel…

23. Blerk

Nice! Although I need that ‘not an MMO’ confirmation before I can get truly excited.