Lewie’s Weekly Deals – Tron Evolution, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dead Rising 2 for £20

Tuesday, 7th December 2010 09:18 GMT By LewieP

deadrising29

Are you hideously chemically addicted to video games? I know I am. In the last week I’ve spent over 200 hours gaming. If I ever run out of games to play, I turn into a giant fire breathing dinosaur, and go on a mega-rampage, destroying cities and killing thousands.

Luckily, that hasn’t happened for a while, because I’ve been able to keep myself stocked up on cheap games just like these ones you’re about to see after the break. Remember to visit SavyGamer.co.uk for updates on cheap games throughout the week.

Tron: Evolution [Special Edition], Xbox 360/PS3, £19.99 delivered

This game may have got middling reviews (Metacritic – Xbox 360/PS3), but if you’re an 80s kid like me then you can probably bump those scores up by ~10% for added nostalgia loveliness. It came out a mere ten days ago, and is already being heavily discounted. A sign, perhaps, that the days of publishers being able to crap out film license games as quickly as possible, at the cost of quality, are somewhat behind us.

The “Special Edition” is “Special” because it hasn’t had 3 characters removed from the multiplayer (which are missing from the bog standard edition). At time of writing CEX is offering £30 trade in for it, so Gamestation will match that to £31. If you play this quickly, you should be able to trade it in at a profit. If you’re getting anything else from GAME, you’ll be able to use one of these coupons.

Also available at that price is the totally different Wii Tron game Battle Grids, although that is currently (and worryingly) unreviewed.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution [Augmented Edition], PC, £29.99 delivered

This is probably around about the same price the bog standard version will be available for (current cheapest pre-order price is £27.99), and the Augmented version comes with an artbook, a bonus DVD with making of feature and soundtrack and some in game bonus stuff. Recent Square Enix Europe PC games like Lara Croft: GOL and Just Cause 2 have used Steamworks, so I bet this one probably will too.

What do we reckon to this one then? If you’d asked me a year ago how I would have felt about another Deus Ex sequel, I’d have probably muffled you to death with a pillow, but as the trailers are getting progressively sexier and sexier, I’m warming to the idea.

Fallout: New Vegas, Xbox 360/PS3, £17.99 delivered

New Vegas, for me, managed to be both a huge success and a massive failure. Few games tap into my desire to have all the money as much as the Fallouts, New Vegas especially. I basically need to have all the caps. Have you got any caps? You should probably give me your caps, because if you don’t, I am going to kill you and take your caps from you, then they will be my caps.

People are only worth the cap value of all the items in their inventory, and if keeping you alive isn’t going to somehow earn me that much or more, I am going to kill you and then sell all of your stuff. I don’t even do anything with most of these caps mind, but I need to have them.

Disappointingly, there are problems with New Vegas that were problems with Fallout 3 before it, Oblivion before that, and Morrowind before that. The local navigation is still rubbish, the 3rd person animation is beyond terrible, the HUD and inventory management is pretty lacking and the AI still does some questionable things. For all the talk of bugs,

I never encountered anything particularly game breaking until the final hour of the game, where it started crashing every 5 minutes. Hmm. Overall, I heartily endorse this game, but the Fallout 3 design is fairly dated already, and I hope Bethesda have big plans for the future of the series.

Work on the megapatch to fix lots of broken things is now complete, so it should be pushed out fairly soon.

You can also get the PC version for £15.97 delivered.

Rock Band 3, Xbox 360£22.99 delivered. To get this price, you’ll be needing a coupon from here.
I’ve not grabbed the third Rock Band yet, probably largely because I’m not good enough at it, nor do I care enough, to get any of the pro instruments. Still, the tracklist is rather special, with highlights including: The Smiths, At the Drive-In, The Flaming Lips, Blondie, The Cure, Jimi Hendrix, Echo & the Bunnymen, Bob Marley & the Wailers and That Guy from The Prestige.

Will this be the last Rock Band? I’d not be surprised if it was, with disappointing early sales of this title, and an uncertain future for Harmonix.

Deal of the week
Dead Rising 2, Xbox 360/PS3£17.99 delivered

Excellent, I’ve been waiting on a price drop on this for a while. It’s on my Christmas list, but it’s been at or near full price since release. I’ve played the demo of the demo a few times, and a particular highlight was the ability to make a drill hat for the zombies to wear.

I certainly enjoyed the original game, my memory my be failing me, but I seem to remember it having some of the longest load times known to Man, and I wasn’t totally happy with the save system. (Metacritic – Xbox 360/PS3)

Also of note:

Gran Turismo 5 [Signature Edition], PS3‚ £89.99 delivered (using a coupon from here)
Dawn of War II [Gold Edition], PC
‚ £10.85 delivered. Includes Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising. Registers on Steam.

Remember to keep your eye on SavyGamer.co.uk for gaming discounts throughout the week, and you can hassle me on twitter if there’s ever a specific game you’re after for cheap.

1. Robo_1

Tron PS3 reads 39.99 for me, and the coupons link leads to a dead page. :(

2. Erthazus

Deus Ex: Human Revolution [Augmented Edition], PC, £29.99 delivered – Now that is Awesome.

3. Aimless

@1 That’s not nearly as confusing as attempting to go to savygamer.co.uk.

4. distraet

The same goes for me with New Vegas.. The price is set at £39.99 for both versions.

5. Robo_1

Oh dear, this update has gone a bit arse about face hasn’t it. :)

I think Game did a Black Monday sale, and now all the prices are back to normal. Should have paid more attention myself really, as I wouldn’t have minded Tron for under 20 notes.

6. poorwretch

@ 3 do you also get send to a stupid online pharmacy instead of savvygamer?

7. Aimless

@6 Indeed. Although in its defence the rotating banner ads down the right hand side are unintentionally amusing; “Show your girlfriend what a real sex is!”

8. poorwretch

@7 do you have an UK IP cause I don’t an I’m kind of thinking that might be the reason.

9. DiodeX

Savygamer been Hijacked then?

10. freedoms_stain

Looks like it, I get RSS from them and those links are going to the pharmacy site too.

11. Bond James Bond

Just pre-ordered Deus Ex: Human Revolution [Augmented Edition] (PC) and The Witcher 2: Collectors Edition at Amazon for £99 delivered.

I just hope both games turn out to be as good as most gamers expect them to be…

12. LewieP

Hey guys,

Sorry some of these deals have now expired, they were all live when I submitted it, but I guess there was a delay in getting it up.

SavyGamer is indeed down. It’s not my fault, honest. My hosts have said it should be fixed in a few hours, although that was a few hours ago. I’ll be updating over twitter (@LewieP or @SavyGamer) in the meantime.

13. LewieP

Back up now:

14. Blerk

It’s amazing just how many games released within the last couple of weeks have already hit the bargain bins. People who bought at full whack on release day must be fuming!

15. OlderGamer

Something else I noticed is that UK(maybe even EU) sees game prices fall at a faster rate then here in the states.

I blame it on the grocerie stores using games as a sales leader. We just don’t get that here :(

16. Blerk

There’s a lot of competition between online stores over here too, which pushes the price down quite quickly away from the high street. Do you get that in the US too? Pretty much everyone I know in the States shops only at Amazon when they’re buying entertainment stuff online.

17. freedoms_stain

Is there more competition here or less price fixing? :p

18. Hunam

As Blerk says, it’s not the grocery stores that have the affect, it’s our vast array of online only stores, which is something the US direly needs. Zavvi/HUt, HMV Online, Play, Gameplay and lots of smaller independent stores undercut each other like crazy, making a fiercely competitive online marketplace.

From what I’ve seen of the US, they barely compete with each other, all happy to sell games at 60 bucks a pop and hope for the best. It’s probably just how small the UK is to the US, as postage is fairly quick here I’d imagine to the US so smaller companies can properly sell to our entire country.

19. Aimless

I believe a lot of UK online retailers also make judicious use of the Channel Islands to avoid paying VAT, cutting costs for all concerned; if memory serves that’s technically only on purchases under £18, which goes some way to making sense of Play’s penchant for dropping games to £17.99.

20. OlderGamer

Not too sure. As for me I use Gamefly. They rent the games via mail, and the keep it now price is drasticly less then the at the store. Of course the game is used, but you have it in your hand, know it works, and they send you the paper work/box (that they don’t rent out) in flawless condition, Online DLC/passcodes intact/unused.

Kmart, walmart, gamestop, gamecraze, target, toys r us all have pretty much the same prices. I think the high prices are what often motivates and fuels the xmass rush/frenzy. But yea prices are high unless something has been out a really long time or tanked really hard.

21. Hunam

I think if I had to pay £40 for each of my games, I’d probably buy about a 1/3rd of what I do now, because I only buy my most wanted games day 1 (that’s been about 6 or 7 games this year) I buy a lot more games between £5 and £18

22. freedoms_stain

Like OG I’ve got a rental sub which has allowed me to play a lot of games I normally couldn’t afford, also to catch up on stuff I missed as a relatively late xbox adopter.

I generally base actual purchases around what my friends are playing as I prefer to play multiplayer with mates.

Right now I’m a bit flush for games so every time I see a good deal I bite down and resist. Especially with my current bf1943 addiction, love that game.

23. AHA-Lambda

deus ex was def a mistake its already back up to £45

tho it is supposed to be £60 keep in mind ;)
    360 version is at regular £60
    ps3 version is down at £50
    pc version is at £45 now up from £30

24. freedoms_stain

If it was a mistake then someone is probably getting their baws booted right now, Amazon have a pre-order promise, you get the price you pre-ordered at or the price they’re selling it for on release day, whichever is lowest.

25. AHA-Lambda

@24 – i hope so tho i have heard of some websites sometimes not honoring that (don’t kno about amazon tho), i hope they do cos i got it for the 30 :D

thank god cos i was ssssoooooo pissed when i saw the original £60 price