Giant multiplatform New Vegas patch submitted for certification, finally nearing release

Tuesday, 7th December 2010 02:20 GMT By Nathan Grayson

falloutvegas2

Sure, odds are, more bugs would survive a nuclear apocalypse than humans, but this is ridiculous.

Fallout: New Vegas would – if you’re asking us – easily be in the running for game of the year if it weren’t also at the head of the pack for glitchiest mess of the century. Fortunately, Bethesda and Obsidian are just about ready to apply some much-needed post-release polish to their post-apocalyptic product.

“We’ve wrapped up work on the Fallout: New Vegas patch and submitted it. Will let you know when it’s up on PS3, 360, and Steam,” reads an update on the Fallout Facebook page.

Best of all, this is the vaunted “comprehensive” patch Bethesda announced a month ago. Among other things, it’ll put a stop to the Xbox 360 version’s save glitches in addition to “a number of other issues being reported.”

So there’s your light at the end of the tunnel. Great beta, though, right? Now we just have to wait a little while and then we’ll be able to purchase the full vers… oh, wait.

1. Hunam

To be honest, it’s the sheer amount of invisible walls they put in their “openworld” game that annoys me more than anything else.

Oh and the actual walls, like in New Vegas itself, the worst, most bland empty wall ridden disappointment of this year.

2. CenoBit

Is it unpolished game? certainly.
    Is it nerve-wracking to have to do some quests in a specific way, otherwise certain NPCs might not show up or act the way they should to finish your quest? definitely.

So yeah, it’s not a “perfect” game. But its imperfections can’t overshadow in the least, the gem underneath.

GOTY from me, even with the annoying bugs.
    The best games I’ve ever played were bug-ridden.
    And I’d still take their beautiful (or in this case, devastating) open-world experience over Black Ops (or any of its clones).

3. Nathan Grayson

@2: I agree. It’s my GOTY, bugs and all. But I’m also in the same boat as Hunam to an extent. The invisible walls bug the crap out of me – especially when I’m just trying to find a quick way around, say, a hill or something. I hate being able to look at something and say, “Yeah, I could climb that in real life,” only for my character’s legs to reply “Derp.”

4. Demiath

While New Vegas isn’t exactly GOTY in the year of Mass Effect 2, I still had more fun with Obsidian’s take on Fallout than I did with any vaguely Bethesda-related open world RPG since 1996′s Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. Coming from a huge Bethesda-hater such as me, that’s saying something about what Avellone & co. has managed to bring to the experience in terms of better writing, quest design and environmental variety. That said, given all the bugs I doubt I had had such an enjoyable time if I hadn’t played the game on the PC (which in my experience worked really well as soon as the Day 1 patch was released).

5. Johnny Cullen

I’m going to be waiting for this so I can get it for Christmas.

Hopefully the patch should sort out most of the problems at least.

6. Magicpocket

I had a lot of fun with this game and it’s defintely up there as one of my GOTY’s for 2010.

7. Anders

I hate Fallout: New Vegas. A game so buggy shouldn’t be allowed to be so damned good.

8. pukem0n

im over 35 hours in and i just love it.
    the stupid stuff with invisible walls is annoying, but its a great game nonetheless

9. Blerk

Ah, great news – should be all nice and patched up by the time Santa brings my copy! :-)