Creative Assembly pondering Total War on consoles

Tuesday, 7th December 2010 11:23 GMT By Johnny Cullen

totalwar

Creative Assembly’s told CVG it’s “pondering about bringing Total War to consoles.

The series has remained PC only since it began a decade ago with Total War: Shogun. But it could all change soon.

At some point. Maybe. I don’t know,” said the studio’s lead artist Kevin McDowell.

We have actually solved the problem with controlling Total War games using a control pad anyway.”

In the past one of the artists actually coded up some experimental stuff just on his own time and was like, ‘Oh that actually works really well.”

CA lead designer Jamie Fergusson added: “There’s also, which is the better platform to push for, which is the best method?

I mean you’ve talked about using joypads, we’ve also looked elsewhere, we’re looking at everything including iPhones, online gaming as well. Just different ways of playing.”

Creative Assembly online manager and PR Mark O’Connell told VG247 in February it would not bring the series to consoles unless it could “ensure that we could replicate the entire” PC experience of the series “along with intuitive controls and interface.”

The studio’s next title in the series, Shogun II, releases next year.

1. freedoms_stain

Cullen, by publishing this story you shall unleash hell.

I just hope it gets buried before he who shall not be named notices it.

2. Johnny Cullen

:D

3. DiodeX

They would need to have keyboard control as well, like I used on FFXI on the 360, worked really well with macro etc on the 360.
    Would be brilliant as I often stayed up til 4am playing Rome Total War.

4. freedoms_stain

They’ll probably go the standard console route of mapping stuff to shoulder dials.

5. Blerk

Even if they can somehow get the controls workable, I still can’t imagine this doing very well. Some games just don’t fit into the console model, and this is absolutely one of them. IMHO. :-)

6. back_up

Awesome news
    PS Move support will do RTS genre decent

7. DSB

Maybe they should make it work for the PC first, eh?

There’s no way they’re going to make that game work on consoles unless they dumb it down considerably. They don’t seem to have figured out the proper controls on the PC yet.

8. Grimrita

personally, I dont give a damn what they do with the Total War series now. Most fans are pissed off at the last 3 lame attempts.

For the first time, I WONT be buying a Total War game on day 1. And the only way they can put this on consoles is by capping it at 30fps, reducing the details on models and I would add tuning down the AI, but that was done ages ago.

9. DSB

@8 I think they’ll have a lot harder time trying to fit camera controls and command controls into one controller. That’s why you use keyboards for sims and strategy – Keybinds.

10. frostquake

Creative Assembly games have made me so frustrated that I’ve nearly had a heart attack. Even after having a direct line to me, they admitted that they release broken games that they really never intend to patch.

Games like Stormrise and Viking on the Consoles were HORRIBLE. Stormrise was so broken that when they approached Sega to fix it, the money needed was way more then they game was worth, and Sega said no way.

I hate to say NEVER but I really feel I will never buy another Creative Assembly game again..they have burned me way to many times.

11. Erthazus

With 512 MB ram on each console, AI will be dumbed down considerably. With bad details and etc.

I hope that shit will not happen. Because if they want to do it, let them make it specifically for consoles and other Total War series for us PC gamers.

12. dirigiblebill

“I think they’ll have a lot harder time trying to fit camera controls and command controls into one controller. That’s why you use keyboards for sims and strategy – Keybinds.”

True – but there’s also voice com, which worked pretty well for the rather Total-War-ish EndWar (developed by ex-CA chaps).

They’d have to cut down on functionality somewhere though.

13. Erthazus

EndWar – was pretty mediocre.

There is a little game that is called WORLD IN CONFLICT that shits on the EA’s desk.

14. DSB

@12 That is one of the single coolest experiences I’ve had in a long time. Endwar itself was pretty boring, but giving actual audio commands, and having it work flawlessly was completely amazing.

How you’re going to make that fit with a game like Total War however, I don’t see. It could work extremely well with a game like Ruse perhaps.

My biggest concern would probably be the 360 scope of that era of warfare. It was very rarely dynamic, and as such you were very reliant on which angle you gave your companies for attack and defence. You can’t expect a player to give a command like “Company 3, move to Hill 3, face 185 [degrees]” – I’m sure you could make it work somehow, but it would be a real mess, and Creative Assembly haven’t been very lucky whenever they’ve used their creativity in the past.

@13 Endwar was extremely simplified, purely to fit on consoles. World in Conflict was a PC game that was ported after release. They have nothing in common.

One of my all-time favourite games though. Massive Entertainment is one of the few studios I’m a fan of, even if it seems to have been completely neglected by Activision and Ubisoft.

15. The_Deleted

If they make ROME for the consoles I shall pop my testes with excitement. The acquisition of Vista voided my ROME game time.

16. Grimrita

Holy Jesus! World in Conflict!!! What an RTS game that was! Probably one of the best I have played in a long time off and online.

17. endgame

this is never going to happen! reasons:
    1. tech is ancient
    2. controls r, well, there is almost no control and
    3. ppl r too stupid to play total war games.

18. Big_Boss

Solution:
    PS4 with at least 1Gb system memory and at least 1 Gb video memory + upgraded cell processor. Moreover, in game keyboard and mouse support.
    Problem solved.