Microsoft not looking at Home-like service for 360

Monday, 6th December 2010 08:30 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ps-home

Xbox UK chief Stephen McGill has told GI that Microsoft isn’t looking at plans about creating a service similar to PlayStation Home for 360.

“That’s not something that we’re looking at,” he told the site.

“I’m not sure what their learnings are from the Home experience, it’s a nice chat room I guess, not an awful lot more.”

“I think that the honest answer is that, online we’re following our own agenda,” added Microsoft UK and Ireland GM, Neil Thompson.

“It’s been pretty successful for us over the last four or five years. I think we’re focusing on what we think we can drive and that’s where our energies are going to go.”

Sony revealed PlayStation Home at a GDC keynote in 2007, but didn’t enter into an open beta until the end of 2008. It’s remained in a beta status since then.

Xbox 360, meanwhile, celebrated five years on the European market last week.

1. datamonkey

I wonder why?!

2. KAP

I honestly think Home is a good idea just isnt focused on what the initial idea was to begin with “games” & “gamers” instead its filled micro transactions and shit.. SCEE makes money from it (alot of money) but its not enough for the service to elevate.

Being able to watch movies with people – kool
    being able to share photos with people in your apartment – koool

but two years on and still nothing like that has happened.

3. Yoshi

@2 Yeh I always wished they would do some sort of movie night in the cinema section for everyone to watch a free film every month/week or whatever. They could easily do it and make money from it because they could put adverts before the movie just like a real cinema. But I doubt it’ll ever happen :( *wipes a tear*

4. Kuwabara

id rather have home than party chat. Seriously who wants to chat while playing single player games..

5. Redh3lix

My kids use Home (albeit with text chat blocked) and I use it occaisionally, just to play pool or something. As it’s free and they give away tons of free stuff anyway, I think its an awesome app.

ps. VG247 login doesn’t work on Mac’s Safari browser.

6. Redh3lix

pps. Actually, the sites buggy in Firefox aswell (on mac):

7. abnormal alan

Must be something up with your machine mate it works fine on both the macs I use

8. Redh3lix

@7 hmmm, this is the only site on the web I have problems with :( I’ve cleared the sites cookies etc. Just lost as to what to do :(

EDIT: Another site called Thesixaxis uses WordPress aswell and I have no trouble accessing my profile or logging in with that one. I prefer VG247 to that site though :/

9. Blerk

Well, what a surprise.

Redh3lix: The site’s a bit buggy regardless of what you look at it with. If that dialog pops up there’s nothing you can enter into it which is ‘right’, just cancel it, go back and try again. Eventually it’ll work.

10. Redh3lix

OK Blerk, thanks for the heads up :)

11. M2Kx

lol home
    lol firefox
    lol safary

nuff said :P

No seriously, everything that home should do, is now available on xbox live, just without this second life ****.

12. Crysis

Home is a good idea, i don’t like it personally, but I can understand why others do, but I commend Sony for not making all of their extra features & services require PS+
    But PS+ NEEDS some exclusive services if it is to ever become successful.

13. KAP

Oh yea talking of PS plus, whos seen the PS plus members club in Home yet?

Theres a bouncer that wont let anyone without a Plus in lol

14. sennasnit

I visit once a month, free=good.

15. Ge0force

It’s been ages since I visited Home. It’s a nice concept, but it gets boring really soon and I find the same content on the internet twice as fast.

16. Gadzooks!

God I hope MS never decide to do anything like Home. In my opinion Home is the worst waste of time and development resource ever.

Instead of propping up that software abortion they should be making more PSN games, as frankly PSN is looking pretty anaemic these days. The last notable PSN release was Joe Danger!

17. ton77

good. i tried out home didnt really like it, sorta like sims with people and id rather play sims.

18. Ge0force

@16 Huh what? PSN had some awesome releases lately:

Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light
    Pac Man Championship Edition DX
    Swords & Soldiers
    Dead Nation
    Sonic 4
    Deathspank + ToV
    Space Invaders Infinite Gene
    Castle Crashers
    Soldner X²: The Final Chapter
    Tumble
    Prince of Persia Trilogy HD

19. mathare92

Obviously it’s not something MS are looking at. An app that’s *free* to access? I mean, come on!
    :P

20. theevilaires

Then how come their new dashboard update looks just like HOME’s sub menus ZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! :D Try again M$

21. sg1974

Thats because Games Room (Home Lite) bombed.

22. Bloodyghost

@21 Games Room wasnt Home Lite. If you actually tried it you would see. Home is hilariously fun in the sense that Sony doesnt know about. Im talking about people who dress up make up avy’s of girls run around and all the other guy avy’s try to literally rape her.

Besides that its shit.

23. theevilaires

Apparently not to the millions who still log on everyday and use it ghost. It may be only popular to the 11-15 year old running around, but its nonetheless popular. If you log into Home at any giving time you’ll be in a place thats 9/10 populated heavily. All SONY needs to do is integrate that damn (promised) trophy room and they would attract the hardcore gamers a lot more.

24. rt45

Hey there, I find an amazing

Hey there, I find an amazing web,please click the web ,you can

find big pleasantly surprised