Civilization IV’s opening theme nominated for a Grammy

Friday, 3rd December 2010 18:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

civilizationiv

Composer Christopher Tin has received two Grammy Awards nominations. One for his debut album, and the other for his Civilization IV track Baba Yetu.

It’s the first time a song related to videogames has been nominated for a Grammy. Awesome.

The track is the opening theme to the strategy game and features the Soweto Gospel Choir.

Baba Yetu is nominated for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists, and the track has risen in popularity since the game was released in 2005 due to various choirs performing the song in over 1000 live concerts.

The composition is also performed during Video Games Live concerts which have also appeared on PBS. Tim also featured the song on his debut album Calling All Dawns, which is nominated for Best Classical Crossover Album.

Winners of the 53rd annual Grammy Awards will be announced on February 13.

Thanks, Gama.

1. Syrok

Article needs more music :)

PS: Now this is one cool fountain (same music so it is related :) )

2. Demiath

Baba Yetu is an unabashedly sentimental piece of commodified imperialist kitsch…but still solid enough from a musical perspective to win me over anyway. A bit strange to see a Grammy Award nomination now for an album released in 2005, but then again I have no idea how this award business works.

3. justiceblob

I pay no attention to the Grammys nowadays. Katy Perry is nominated for album of the year this time -_-

4. DSB

Now THAT should win a grammy.

I loved the style of that whole game, including the song until I realized it was The Lords Prayer in swahili. Yuck. I had to pull the heads off five kittens just to feel clean again.

5. Old MacDonald

It’s an awesome song. It was always kind of disappointing that the expansions came with their own theme songs, because I never went back to vanilla Civ IV after Beyond the Sword.

Thinking about all the wonderful music from Civ IV, I can’t help but feel a bit let down by the music in Civ V. Yet another area where it fails to measure up to IV.

6. DSB

I wouldn’t be that quick to slam Civ V. Granted I haven’t gotten to play it as much as I’d like after buying it, but IV was lacking in a lot of areas when it came out as well. The fact that it’s so great today (beyond the art and the feel) is largely down to the community. It does have a lot of things ass backwards in terms of balance and AI, but nothing that can’t be fixed yet again.

That being said, I wish they would be a bit ballsier. City states and the new combat system (system, not the AI) are both brilliant ideas, but the diplomacy is still close to irrelevant, and I still can’t believe they took out religions.

That was one of my favourite things to play with in Civ IV.