OnLive’s $10 per month flat-rate game plan launches January 15

Thursday, 2nd December 2010 15:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

onliveconsoleboxtyvthing

OnLive Game System shipments have begun, and soon, so will a  $9.99 per month flat-rate gaming plan from the service.

Called PlayPack, the flat-rate plan is immediately available in beta to OnLive Game System owners and will be made available to all OnLive members on January 15.

Current free trials, 3- and 5-day rentals and Full PlayPass options for a la carte new-release games will still be available in addition to the new PlayPack flat-rate plan – so no worries there.

“OnLive’s PlayPass and PlayPack plans give players maximum flexibility to try or buy video games,” said Michael Pachter regarding the service. “Top-tier titles are available as individual rentals and purchases, while everything else is available at a flat rate. With these programs, OnLive is effectively offering the equivalent of an iTunes/Netflix combo for gaming.”

OnLive today also began shipping the OnLive Game System, a $99 controller and MicroConsole bundle, providing instant access on HDTVs to all OnLive games.

The PlayPack flat-rate plan will comprise more than 40 high-quality games when officially launched, and here is just a sampling of what the beta library includes:

• Prince of Persia
  • NBA 2K10
  • Tomb Raider Underworld
  • F.E.A.R. 2
  • Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X.
  • Unreal Tournament 3
  • Vin Diesel Wheelman
  • LEGO Batman
  • Defense Grid Gold
  • Saw
  • Puzzle Chronicles
  • King’s Bounty: Armored Princess
  • Ninja Blade

Some PlayPack games require a mouse and/or keyboard. The PlayPack flat-rate plan will be offered on a month-to-month basis and can be canceled at any time.

1. naffgeek

I’d really like to know what the people on here think of Onlive’s chances of being a success.

I really cannot see it happening for them but I hope I’m wrong (never like to see people fail).

I could see this working with Top releases for a realistic monthly sub but I still think there pricing plan is a little complicated, still at least they have simplified it from the original plan which Stephen Hawkins would have struggled with.

2. Robo_1

I think the tech has surprised a lot of people, in that it actually works if you’re not super competitive. They seem to be getting their business plan in order, and are actually offering packages which aren’t a complete joke, as they were when they launched.

Despite all that, I’m nowhere near close to signing up for a service where you own nothing.

It may well be the future, but I’m happy for that future to be some years off yet. Give me a disc and a case and a big daft novelty statue while you’re at it.

That said, if it’s rolled out as a way of quickly and easily trying demos, then that would be useful.

3. Mike Honcho

No physical ownership of the games …. and I have the nagging feeling that the games will be painfully limited, even in the near future.

Hard-sell.

4. theevilaires

Hey O.G. you have this. Whats the final verdict? Yay or Nay?

5. OlderGamer

I would wait.

It works good, and the 10usd is a fair price. But the selection is a little too lite right now.

6. theevilaires

Thanks for the info. Services like this could come in handy for people who travel a lot.

7. Ge0force

F.E.A.R. 2, Saw and Wheelman are def no HQ games. This service needs better and more recent games to succeed!

8. freedoms_stain

@6, not so sure about that. You need a pretty decent internet connection, and you can’t take that with you.

9. DSB

The selection is obviously the biggest point against it. To really become huge with this sort of thing you have to genuinely cater to everyone, and impress them with the selection, like Netflix did it with movies. You’re not likely to get tired of that catalogue within a month or two.

And I’m not too sure about the 100 dollar pricetag. It’s a very reasonable price for the hardware, especially once they expand the selection, but right now I think most people will see more of an idea in shelling out more, owning their console, and building their own selection.