Uncharted movie to include “family dynamic,” “heads of museums” being brought to “justice”

Thursday, 2nd December 2010 08:21 GMT By Nathan Grayson

uncharted230

Wait, what? Sorry, what?

“This idea really turns me on that there’s a family that’s a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiquities … [a family] that deals with heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice,” director David O. Russell told the LA Times.

He also called the film a “locomotive,” explaining that the script’s already about half-way done and things are really starting to take shape. You know, in the same way that a toddler’s sculpture of a “boat” that’s actually a blob of Play Doh bifurcated by a popsicle stick “takes shape.”

“We’ll have the family dynamic, which we’ve done in a couple of movies now,” he added. “And then you take that and put it on the bigger, more muscular stage of an international action picture, but also put all the character stuff in it. That’s a really cool idea to me.”

And just when you’d gotten over your outrage about Mark Wahlberg hogging Nathan Fillion’s spotlight, too. But hey, Russell’s a big busy director man. Clearly he doesn’t have time for silly frivolities like actually playing the games his movie’s allegedly based on.

1. Freek

They should probably stop talking about this movie. The more they say, the worse it sounds.
    What does any of this even remotly have to do with Uncharted the game and why bother getting a license if you only want the name???
    That just ends up pissing off the people who recognize that name making the whole thing pointless.

2. CaptPierce

I need my cyanide capsule.

3. onlineatron

What!?! No!

4. lindblum_resident

Someone should tell them that someone else is already making National Treasure 3.

5. StolenGlory

What a bunch of shit.

6. JPickford

@4 I was just about to post exactly that!

7. abnormal alan

David O Russell can go fuck himself and take Wahlberg with him. Seriously I can think of multiple people who would play the character better and this sounds like another insult to what could be an awesome film.

To be honest i’m not surprised though bad films by people who really don’t care about / no nothing about the license are the majority of game based films. Why stop now

8. Dralen

Why the fuck do these douches have the rights to the film!?

9. Dannybuoy

I’d love to see Nate’s mum. I bet his sister is hot too.

10. Shubb9

@ Nolan North will voice the entire family. Hot enough for ya?

11. The_Red

Can’t wait to see the final movie bombing so the director and the producers can say how “games are not good for emotional stories and their hands were tied because of the source material”. And if the film bombs, they WILL say it regardless of how out of touch and unrelated to the original their movie is.

12. Gekidami

I just cant get over the fact that Mark Wahlberg is going to play Nate, they should have went with Nathan Fillion.

13. PEYJ

I agree about the comments about National Treasure 3 but keep in mind everyone that movies based on gaming are usually shite because they try to imitate their “ancestor”. So going in a different direction is not necessarily a bad thing.

And I don’t see why the director should play the game. That would only show him how they do it in gaming which isn’t the same way they do it in movies. Granted, Uncharted is one of those series that comes closest to being a movie at the same time but I believe there are still enough differences to warrant a different approach.

14. LOLshock94

so its probely an 12A as its family it worked with indiana jones seeing as this is a copy of indiana jones

15. OrbitMonkey

@13 “going in a different direction” is one thing, completely ignoring the source material is another.

16. ianbenoir

Hopefully this will end with his career.

17. PEYJ

I don’t believe that what they are doing is completely ignoring the source material. By all means, I’m not saying that this will be a good movie but taking more or less everything from the original, it is bound to be a failure.

Besides that, what’s with hatred towards a movie director just because he doesn’t do it “the way we – the fans and true inheritors of this legacy – demand it to be”? It’s not like we know how the movie industry and it’s market is tied together.

18. ThtsWhtSheSd16

All the news that has come about the movie has me very worried. I actually sent an e-mail to Naughty Dog asking them to not let Russell put a stain on their franchise. And to those who have argued otherwise, yes, adding in a bunch of family backstory, antiquities, and heads of state will be a detriment to the franchise. If they want to put in a little introduction to Nate, how he meets Elena, etc. I’m fine with that, but don’t turn this into Drake jetsetting around the world with his dad and uncle going up against world leaders and museum directors. That would seriously tarnish the amazing world that Amy Hennig and Naughty Dog has created.

19. OrbitMonkey

@17 You don’t understand the hate because you don’t love the franchise. Melodramatic as that sounds I’m sure fans of Transformers the cartoon series understand after Michael Bays treatment. If it helps think of your favorite film/book/song & then imagine someone saying the original is a bit naff & their reimagining will be completely different.

20. pumpkinhead303

This movie is going to be very bad… i’m a huge Uncharted Fan, but this is going to be bad… they are not following the story, Hell, even if they make up an original story at least make that good, and choose the right actors, Nathan Fillion should be Nathan Drake… period! i don’t think marky mark can pull the roll off, he’s not build for it his acting is very dry, and Drake is not dry. ok fine, for some stupid reason you dont want to give the roll to fillion, why not Nolan North, Ken Marano, or some no name guy that at least fits the part.
    they need to not make this now, and just stop production, get a new director, new everything… or Hell, just make Uncharted 3 and not worry about another terrible video game movie that their not going to get right.

21. PEYJ

Oh, I do love the franchise. I’ve got both games, the animated short series, a poster of the first game and I’m on level 57 in multiplayer.

I just don’t people understand the two different entities movies and gaming are.

About Nathan Fillion; I really don’t get all the fuzz. Sure, he looks like a lot and certainly more than Mark Wahlberg but I’ve seen him act and he does not have what it takes make an impression. He is second rate actor.

Besides all that, if the movie ends up sucking balls, so what? It has happened to many a game being “translated” to a movie (and vice versa). Why should that break the franchise? It’s not going to change my opinion about the series no matter how bad it turns out. And I don’t believe it will for any other UC fan out there.

22. pumpkinhead303

@21 I agree, if the movie does end up sucking balls it will not change how much i love the games… as far as Fillion goes, i think he would be great, in fact in a interview with naughty dog about the first game from awhile back, i believe it was even wells or nolan north that said Drake was loosely based on Fillion’s roll in Firefly. i think he has the right attitude for the part and the look. i just dont see why they can stick to the source and give the fans what they want.

23. OrbitMonkey

@22 4 words, Lord of the rings. That’s how you respect the source material & make a good movie. And sorry, saying you love the franchise, but don’t mind if someone decides to wipe their arse with it sounds a little daft.

24. PEYJ

I just don’t see why a potentially bad movie can ruin a game franchise and I don’t get why anyone would feel that way.

About the arse wiping; I think that’s taking it a bit too deep…

25. pumpkinhead303

@23 how am i saying i don’t mind if they wipe their ass with it? I’m saying if they are not going to adapt the first game for the movie and go with an original story that would be better then telling the story of the first game wrong. i would prefer them to make a good movie, something that the fans of the franchise will be excited about. and your right 100% Lord of the rings was great! i’m not trying to be an ass to people on the boards. i just think if there not going to do it right its not worth doing. i was overexcited about the announcement of this being made but now i get more and more disappointed with every piece of news that comes out.

26. OrbitMonkey

I’m not saying the film will ruin the franchise, but it will be forever associated with the franchise. Instead of us all saying “Great game, great film”, we’ll all be saying “Great game, shit film”. As if we know a great looking girl, but with godawful breath. A little stink we won’t like to talk about. But hey, they could (i desperately hope) surprise me, in which case I’ll post gratuitous apologies & heap much love :)