Microsoft shows off Live Rewards program

Wednesday, 1st December 2010 10:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

xbox360logo2

Microsoft’s shown off, then yanked, its Xbox Live Rewards program that was first unveiled last year.

The company shows how you’re able to gain small amounts of Microsoft Points for doing things such as renewing Gold memberships, activating and using the Sky Player and more, including a 400 MS points incentive if you renew a family Gold membership.

The chart was then yanked from the Xbox website. Wonder why?

There’s a chart of how the program works over at Kotaku.

1. freedoms_stain

lol, I’m sure this will satisfy the Americans who’ve just seen the cost of their live subscriptions hike by $10, 100 free points on renewal! Yay!

Kick in the bollocks more like.

2. Suikoden Fan

@1 its probably not this extreme, but its like someone giving you a wank, straight after they cut your penis off.

3. OwningXylophone

Looks like this will not be US only for a change, as the ad is still on my Xbox.com front page here in the UK but the page it links to doesn’t exist.

4. AbracadaverAK

The link is still working, isn’t it?

Small amounts of points for transactions you’re probably going to do anyway, I don’t really see how it’s a kick in the bollocks. They didn’t put the subscription up to pay for the scheme.

It costs MS next to nothing to do, and we get a few points. Stop moaning.

5. OwningXylophone

@ 4

Actually your right, it wasn’t working earlier when I checked and is now.

6. Michael O’Connor

Free points for things I do anyway?

Yes please.

7. Gadzooks!

Free points sounds great to me.

Summer of arcade, deals of the week and the other offers have meant I’m spending more and more on XBLA, and getting more and more value in return.

Win/win for customer, publishers and devs.

8. The1stMJC

And now PlayStation has something to hopefully copy for their Rewards program that is in beta right now even though I doubt they are smart enough to do that.

9. Ge0force

So you pay 99$ for a family pack for peer-to-peer gaming and you get 2.5$ MS points for free? How generous! :-)

@8: PSN doesn’t need such a program at all. Online gaming is completely free, access to online services (Facebook, Mubi, Vidzone) is free and every week PSN has discounts for several games, available for all gamers with no subscription required. And of course there’s game sharing, so you only pay 20% of the price when sharing with 4 friends. Who’s the smart one now?

10. DaMan

wow, 400 points for renewing the family pack subscription. how kind of them.

11. locus2k1

whelp, I just found an “exclusive invite” to the rewards program in my inbox, going to go check it out.

12. LOLshock94

sony wont have this as theyre clearly greedy japanese pigs