“Too many games released today,” says Dr. Ray

Friday, 26th November 2010 15:43 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ray-muzyka

Dr. Ray says there’s too many games being released these days. So stop releasing them all at once, innit.

BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka has said there’s too many games being releasd onto the market these days.

“There are too many games released today,” said Muzyka, speaking to Develop.

“It’s interesting, because it’s very, very busy – it makes it very hard as a player to keep up. The releases clump up – even though that is changing a little bit.”

Muzyka says he plays games around two-three hours per night, but it still isn’t enough!

“For us, we have to play our games, play competitor’s games, play other relevant games and play the handful of games we just really want to play more of and finish.

“I try and play two-or three hours a night, but that’s hard and it’s not enough.”

What is Ray’s favourite game, though? Just wondering.

“Mine was probably the original System Shock. It was awesome. I finished that game four times in 10 years.

“I loved the way it was the first true 3D adventure. The shooter mechanic in 3D meant it was very hard to control in a way, but the richness of the world was amazing.

“Our IT guys hate us for it, but we use a fan website with patches to make sure System Shock will work on our current gen laptops.”

Big Ray loves System Shock. Respect.

BioWare has its own line-up of titles all due out within the next year: Dragon Age II on March 11 in the UK and Star Wars: The Old Republic at some point in 2011.

A new project from the developer will be shown at the VGAs on December 11.

1. abnormal alan

I do have a serious games back log going on

2. Johnny Cullen

As do I. Gonna clear all of it, or at least most of it, by the end of the year when I go on Christmas break.

3. abnormal alan

yeah I need too but New Vegas and Assassins Creed Brotherhood are calling to me

4. Erthazus

Oh System Shock, you are amazing.

5. OrbitMonkey

The way things are going theirs gonna be sequals to some of the games on my to do list, before I get to do them :(

6. polygem

he´s right. i remember a time where i was able to play all the games i was only even slightly interested in. these days i can´t. i skip a lot of titles. problem is that there is also a lack of quality. the law of the mass market.

7. jevonski

meh I don’t find it hard at all haven’t got a backlog of games in fact I’ve been playing Final fantasy VII-IX ya know from when games were good instead of a Graphics fest.

8. Moonwalker1982

Yeah at times i complain about too many games and that they all release in the same months. But at the same time it’s not bad news really. You’ll never get bored when it comes to videogames. Plenty of good stuff has come out this year.

I still have to buy

Enslaved,Fallout:NV, Assassin’s Creed: BH and probably more.

9. OrbitMonkey

@7 Well your not going to have a backlog if you think games after ff9 are no good are you? You’ve had years to finish them!!

10. freedoms_stain

I blame the rampant disease that is sequelisation.

I say less yearly updates and more meaningful dlc.

Particularly for shooters and sports titles.

Thus when the full game updates DO come in 2-3 years it actually feels like a new and improved game rather than a tweaked update that doesn’t feel worth the cover price.

11. RickyWicky

@ 10 Indeed. Like Valve who released L4D2 where, instead, they could have just been spending all this time adding on to the first one. But BECAUSE they released a second one, there’s probably not going to be another any time soon.

12. blackdreamhunk

yea I have tons of games for pc that will last me a life time. So many I have not even finished. I have cut back on spending on games big time.

I avoid publishers and game devs who are hateful towards pc gaming like the plague

however I love bio-ware they are on my top of games list for games.

13. LOLshock94

looks like james rolf

14. NiceFellow

I’d agree. Particularly about System Shock.

But… growing industries always tend to over-push product in a desperate mix of a) trying to fuel further growth as though there is no upper ceiling of customers and b) too many players trying to get a slice of the pie available.

15. The_Deleted

Totally agree. Far too many quality titles in far too short a space of time. And they ain’t cheap.

16. xino

it’s a good thing and a bad thing.

good thing, because you can’t get bored with your current game.

Bad thing because gamers would be spending up to £80-£120 in a month and adds extra if gamers wishes to purchase special edition version.

bad because gamers are still playing a recent release title or competitive title, they can’t buy the next new game and thus causes bad sales for the publisher.

17. jevonski

@9 ah but I have finished them they’re just more enjoyable to play over again than to play some of the ones out nowdays, its a shame.