Shogun 2: Total War now known as Total War: Shogun 2

Friday, 26th November 2010 19:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

shogun2

Creative Assembly’s Shogun 2 will have the words Total War in front of the title, as the developer and SEGA wanted the series name to come first.

According to a SEGA spokesperson, the publisher and Creative Assembly planned to invert the titles for the games for quite some time.

“The Total War series of games spans over 10 years of titles,” said the spokesperson to Eurogamer. “We wanted to identify all of these as one series using a more obvious naming convention for players.

“Revealing the new title with the Shogun 2 box art was the opportune time to do so.”

Therefore, when the game is released worldwide on March 15, it will be known as Total War: Shogun 2.

Expect future titles in the Total war series to be the same.

1. kupocake

Not have the Total War moniker preceding the game’s title.
    Total War will come first in the game’s title.

Recorded here for Grammar Nazi posteriers.

2. Grimrita

I’d much prefer the effort to be put into a game that ships WORKING.

This will be the very first in the series that I WONT be buying thanks to the shoddy workmanship of the previous 3 outtings.

3. Dr.Haggard

Shogun 2 first in series to not have Total War preceding the title

I think precede means the opposite of what you think it does Steph.

4. Stephany Nunneley

I KNOW what preceding means. It means to come before. You are preceding something. Proceed is to continue. Or going after. @1 confused me is all. I had it right the first time. Jesus Christ.

I am changing the #$%^&*()_ whole thing now.

5. endgame

this is going to be epic! :)

6. BULArmy

Isn’t it kind of funny how a Japanese publisher has two of the best-selling PC exclusives, TW and Footbal Manager?

7. Crysis

I know this is random, but BULArmy was apparentally the latest comment poster, but was it just me, or was this site down all day? I also see that somebody has put in something to block spam bots, don’t know how this’ll go down with everyone else…

8. Gekidami

Yeah, the site was down all morning. I blame the new mods. :P

(And now we have to type in security words everytime we want to post a comment? I really hope this isnt final.)

9. Erthazus

Seriously, that type of security sucks huge ASS.

PS: Even if you edit the text you still need to activate that hellish thing.

10. Crysis

Fix the images!

11. Patrick Garratt

We’ve had a proper disaster. Trying to get stuff sorted now.

12. Quiiick

having to use Captcha for every comment? Are you serious?

13. Patrick Garratt

We just had the entire site wiped. I’m talking to the tech guys now, but we’re going to be a bit patchy for the next day or so. Sorry, you’re just going to have to bear with us for a bit.

14. Erthazus

Someone hacked you?

Jebus, Captcha sucks ass…

15. Patrick Garratt

Not sure what happened yet. I’ll know more tomorrow.

16. KingCancer

gotta captcha them all!

17. Anders

@Patrick Man, that sucks. Best of luck, hope you’ll get everything sorted.

18. OrbitMonkey

@Patrick. Sorry to hear about your troubles lads, some little fuck deserves a shoeing if they hacked your site! Sure you’ll sort it soon :D

19. DSB

@2 I feel the exact same way – I even felt that way after Empire, but I still caved on Napoleon. It’s an awful thing, but there just aren’t that many other developers making tactical strategy games out there.

Going back to Shogun was a disappointment to start with, right when the technology and the tactics were starting to move into an interesting era, they blow it back to the stone age.

20. Erthazus

You want modern setting or WWI-WWII in Total War series?

It’s never going to happen because of the mechanics. Napoleon Total War showed that guns don’t work in the game, but still game was awesome and thats why they are going back. I’m ok with that.

All of the eras are interesting, don’t know what problem you have with that.
    Personally Shogun was my favourite with the ROME Total War.

There are so much to do in JApanese era of shogun. From Heian period to the Tokugawa shogunate. I’m fine with that.

21. DSB

@20 I was talking about the 1840′s to 1905. The von Moltke era of warfare where everything we do today took shape, with massive leaps in weapon effeciency, both artillery and small arms, advanced tactics, the rise of special forces, the introduction of steampower.

The difference between 1815 and 1860 is monumental.

That being said, I don’t see why you couldn’t make a first world war game – Apart from the fact that the industry is so terrified of anything related to the first world war, because all who’ve tried have fucked it up.

All Napoleon and Empire showed is that The Creative Assembly aren’t very good at finishing the games they make, not that it couldn’t be done. I don’t think the shooting mechanics were that bad, the losses seemed pretty realistic to me on every volley. The AI was just atrocious, the campaign mode as boring as ever, and the game was stock full of bugs on release.