Downloadable spaces allow for more “experimental” but “risky” games, says Schafer

Friday, 26th November 2010 22:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

timschafer

Tim Schafer is of the belief that some of the “most creative games” out on the market lately have come from XBL and PSN.

Speaking in and interview with PSM3 (via CVG), Schafer said the reason he feels this way is because developers can be more experiential with their offerings, but at the same time, it’s also a risky endeavor.

“It’s a place where you can try new ideas, because you’re working with smaller budgets and you can be a little… not experimental, but risky,” he said.

As far as bringing a sequel to Psychonauts to the downloadable market was concerned, Schafer said it all depends on whether a publisher as well as the Steam and pirate crowd would be interested in it or not.

“I’m ready to do it. I’d love to do it. It’s really a question of getting a publisher who’s interested in doing it,” he said. “Over the years it’s gotten into the hands of a lot of people, through being two dollars on Steam for a while, and being pirated, so it’s gotten out there.

“So if all those people were going to buy the sequel it would be a big hit.”

Double Fine’s latest game, Costume Quest, is getting an update on XBL and PSN next month, and the firm announced Stacked would land on both services next year.

1. Virginityrocks

I’d preorder a psychonauts sequel before it would be even announced. I would lick the base of Tim Schafer’s member for some concept art. Yes. I would buy them on Steam.

He needs to get his company to put more of his games on the PC. Stop this XBL and PSN exclusivity BS. Steam is the king of indie and creative material.

Yes, a portion of your sales will be lost to piracy on the PC. That’s just the way of the wind. If console gamers could do it as easily as 2 mouse clicks, I’m sure they’d have the same problem. Compete with piracy. No DRM, and incentives that only purchasees can get.

Keep in mind I would not buy Psychonauts 2 if the voice of Dag from Angry Beavers didn’t come back for the voice of Raz.

2. Lord Gremlin

I’d rather have a sequel to Brutal Legend then Psychonauts. You hurt my feelings, Tim, I’ve been emotionally attached to Emperor Doviculus ^^
    Anyway, this new Stacking game looks awesome.

3. Anders

I’d take Psychonauts 2 over Brütal Legend 2 any day.

4. Redh3lix

FAO: Admins, whatever you’ve done to the site, thanks. I can log in now and post. :)

5. Patrick Garratt

@4 – Hello again :D

Something went horribly wrong last night. At least this is one upside :)

6. G1GAHURTZ

Do not read this random post.

verification words: builtent sin

7. Patrick Garratt

8. DSB

So on one hand the PC market is unviable, but on the other, Steam can help you recover the disastrous launch of your overlooked platformer.

I really don’t trust Schafer after Brütal Legend. Something’s gone horribly wrong.

9. KrazyKraut

test test XD

10. G1GAHURTZ

Sorry Pat, I was just testing the new posting thingy.

When I saw the site was down for maintenance, I thought all the promised updates were on the way…!

Guess i’ll just have to keep waiting, then…

11. Patrick Garratt

“It’s on the way.”

Starting to sound like 3DRealms. Hopefully we won’t go the same way.

12. Callum

Did anyone else get an odd eurogamer message when accessing the site the other day? Obviously you were down for maintenance, but it said eurogamer.net?

anyway, slow weekend for news or what? Come on industry.

13. frostquake

Sorry I can only Mod the Forum, I can’t delete the spam under the articles or I would right away!

14. Patrick Garratt

@13 – All done.

@12 – Yeah, it was an automated EG splash thing. We share some resources with Eurogamer, and I think the tech bods just had a standard page in place that popped up when the server melted.

15. FeaturePreacher

I wonder if this guy would ever test the limits of pricing with his niche following. Just level with the audience and say that a high price needs to be charged or otherwise he won’t make games that this niche enjoys.