Xbox 360 celebrates fifth birthday

Tuesday, 23rd November 2010 07:45 GMT By Patrick Garratt

xbox360logo

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 has turned five years old. The bunting’s over there.

Xbox 360 has turned five. The machine, which has now sold 44.6 million units globally, released on November 22, 2005, in the US and Canada; December 2, 2005, in Europe; and December 10, 2005, in Japan.

Originally released in 20Gb HD and HD-less SKUs, the machine was Microsoft’s second under-the-TV console, following the original Xbox, which first shipped in 2001.

Xbox 360 launched in the US with 18 games, including Call of Duty 2 and Condemned: Criminal Origins.

While the cycle of the original machine was a mere four years, the recent launch of Kinect will, Microsoft hopes, extend the life of 360 for many years yet.

What’s left to say? After red rings, Halo tattoos and mental raving, it’s impossible to deny that Xbox 360 has changed videogaming forever.

Little white box: we salute you.

1. onlineatron

Going to follow Twitter’s lead and ask: How many boxes have you had fail?

I’m on my 3rd (since 2008).

2. Patrick Garratt

I’ve had one blow up. A launch box.

3. Prof.Dr.Moertel

My first one runs since 2008.

4. onlineatron

Lucky bastards.

I should add that I love my Xbox and the reason they die on me is (shoddy workmanship) *ahem* because I use them so much.

5. Gheritt White

Box #2 since 2007.

6. Mike Honcho

1st one was bought one around 2006 …. it lasted all of 2-weeks due to you-know-what lights.

2nd one bought when the Jasper’s first came out …. thankfully, it’s still ticking.

However, I get a sense of dread everytime I turn it on.

Damm you M$ for messing with my head!

7. freedoms_stain

Had mine less than a year, later model so hopefully it’ll last a good while.

8. Blerk

Still on my first box, and it’s almost exactly two years old. And it’s great! I love it!

/hugs

Seems weird to think that it’s been five years already, though. Man, where did that time go?

9. mac

I’m on my 4th – but fingers crossed, this one has been okay for the last 18 months.

10. Aimless

Seventh here. The current one has been going strong since mid-2008, though.

11. Blerk

Seventh?! Holy shit, man! Do you sit on them while playing? :-D

12. Aimless

Nope, I keep them lying flat on top of an open, dust-free desk shelf at or below room temperature.

I take good care of all my consoles, that simply hasn’t counted for much in the 360′s case; the only real advantage is that I’ve had pristine packaging to return them in.

13. M2Kx

*salutes*

I have two of them at the moment. One 360 from Decembre 2005 and one from Summer 2008 (with jasper chip) both of them are still running very fine :)

14. EscoBlades

On my 2nd box…which has been running with no issues since 2008. Thinking i might get a slim model for Christmas (either as backup or a replacement for this one)

15. Anders

Got the dreaded red lights on my launch 360 for a week ago, and received my new Slim yesterday. It’s small and quiet as a whisper.

16. G1GAHURTZ

5 years, eh?

I can’t imagine playing the latest games on a 5 year old PC.

17. Hunam

Had mine since mid 06, one fail so far, though it’s kinda shaky at the moment. Want a 250gb slim tbh.

18. pukem0n

mine is fine since mid-2009

i guess the current ones are all jaspers or slims so they dont fail so much anymore ^^

19. cookiejar

Happy Birthday!

I’ve had two dead ones. An old Premium and an Elite. Got the new one now and it seems to be pretty decent so far.

20. ruckus

Most unreliable piece of shit in all of shitdom but I still don’t want a PS3. WTF up with that Sony?
    CONSOLE MAKERS – YOU’RE DOING IT WRONG!

/kicks dead 2nd replacement failbox right in the GPU

21. Quiiick

I’m on Xbox #3 since april 2006.
    Switched to PS3 in may 2008, and hardly play my 360 anymore.

22. Gadzooks!

Wow, 5 years, It’s flown by!

There has been a steady stream of incredibly high quality software since launch though, and games just keep getting better, so I havent had the feeling at any time that the console is getting old. Maturing, yes, but not even peaking yet.

Kinect is definitely going to expand and diversify the user base too. That’s a great thing for me as I now have everything I could possibly want in one place.

The console hasnt quite been transformed by the first Kinect dash update, but I’d expect a fully kinect controllable dash in an update soon. It’s amazing how quickly I have come to look upon the controller as an optional extra, rather than my first stop when the console is switched on.

Comparing how 360 is now to when it launched, it’s quite amazing how the machine has been improved and expanded by OS updates. There is much more to come too.

It’s this software-based forward thinking that has revolutionised consoles, and by extension, gaming as a whole. I’ve been console gaming since you could first get black-and-white Pong with a rotary controller in your home, and no console has felt as fresh or progressive as the 360.

I don’t doubt the 360 will be around in 5 years time, just like the mighty PS2 at 10 years old, but personally I think 2 more years will suffice for this gen. I look forward to seeing what the Xbox team have up their sleeves for the next machine!

Good times. :)

23. Happy Hardon Harry

If anything, this is what i’ll remember the 360 for:

A fucking poor show indeed MS…

24. Johnny Cullen

I’m on my fourth 360.

First one that I got for Xmas four years ago had disc issues and had to be replaced. It just so happened when it was Halo 3 launch day and when the COD4 MP beta was in full swing.

Thankfully, I knew someone at GameStop Ireland who could swap my 360 for a new one on the same day as I was still under warranty.

Then last year, that 360 red-ringed. Sent that off for a replacement and I got it. Thankfully, as I was still at GOONL!NE and dealing with Microsoft Ireland PR, they replaced it for free and got a new one a week later.

Until July, it hasn’t had any issues.

Of course, I swapped that over for a slim the day after it came out. :D

Anyways, salut, 360.

25. Michael O’Connor

Still on my first, from all the way back in 2006.

26. theevilaires

^ Pure Bullshit

27. datamonkey

@ 25 – Me too! Still got my original 20Gb from Xmas 2006. yay!

28. Michael O’Connor

@27 Guess we’re one of the lucky few.

29. Gadzooks!

I can get my launch premium to work sometimes. Never had a red ring but the DVD drive only registers 360 games about 1 in 20 attempts.

Once they boot there is no problem, and original Xbox games and DVD’s play just fine so it must be some kind of boot sector location problem.

30. spiderLAW

I was on my 3rd before i sold it. After i sold it (elite) guy calls me up to ask me what the red lights mean LOL
    I felt sorta bad but then again, how would i have known it was going to die.
    Getting a SLim soon from a good friend, hopefully it doesnt die on me. Cant wait to get back into Reach.

31. G1GAHURTZ

I bought one in 2006.

It was on it’s way out, but I’m not sure if it officially died or not, as I gave it away after I bought an Elite.

That Elite gave me two red lights (over heating) and kept turning itself off, so as I couldn’t imagine going more than 24 hours without playing CoD, I bought a brand new one the very next day.

That one is now sitting in the London, while I sit here in Saudi Arabia.

I had intended to buy a Slim as soon as I got here, but the only 360′s that I’ve seen on sale are the original launch ones… Which I don’t want.

So I am currently 360-less and all I’m playing at the moment is StarCraft 2.

32. NoxNoctisUmbra

Happy Bday Xobx. How about giving players FREE ONLINE PLAY and for gold members give them 60 dollar cross game chat.. Who the fuck wants to pay for P2P service? THat should be free.. All losers who still pay for Xbox live over the 5 years need to think and not support stupid p2p service that should be free.

Go SONY and PC for DEDICATED FREE SREVERS! And if you disagree with me you are retarded, the PC and PSN can do the same things as Xbox, only PS3 cant do cross chat.

33. Happy Hardon Harry

Consoles are shite! Period. They are so restricted it’s not even funny anymore. I don’t bother my arse with them now.

The console mob can go and buy a new Xbox or PS, but personally i’d rather spend a little more on a PC knowing fine well it’ll last me for years in terms of tech due to the platforms flexibility.

The PC will always be ahead, always, no matter how new a console is and that is where i’d rather spend my cash. Rather than on some toybox.

Console gamers got sub-HD this gen, barely. PC gamers got the real deal…

34. G1GAHURTZ

Try playing any new PC game on a 5 year old PC and a 5 year old graphics card.

See how far over 8fps you can get.

35. Happy Hardon Harry

Sour grapes won’t get you far…

enjoy your sub-HD experience, barely!

36. G1GAHURTZ

No sour grapes, I’m just pointing out one of the most appealing features of consoles.

You never have to feel pressured into buying a new GFX card, more RAM or a faster CPU to play the latest games.

Sure, consoles might be limited to 720p for the vast majority of games, but most PC gamers are probably playing at a similar resolution anyway…

37. theevilaires

Well since everyone wants to be so negative I’ll say a few good things about the XBOX360.

The 360 is still the only games console that can do true in game custom soundtrack music selection. That one feature alone makes it a must own system. Sure the PS3 can do it and M$ may have some patent that prevents Sony from implementing it on their systems across the board but that’s the nature of business and competition.

The online network has another feature that adds even more greater value and though it sucks you have to pay for it party chat is pretty sweet for many reasons. Whether its privacy chatting in Halo/CoD or making achievement whoring easier its a definite plus to the XBOX360 making it a solid gaming machine.

I’m still on my first XBOX360 since 9/1/09 (same day G1GA got his PS3 ;) ) I’ve had not one issue so far. I’m planning on picking up a couple of 250GB S model 360′s for myself and a few friend’s Christmas presents this Black Friday. I can’t wait to use the newly added wifi N (the only feature missing in the previous machines that was sorely lacking) anywhere in the house.

As much as everyone thinks I hate the console well I don’t. It does what its suppose to do great and thats play games.

38. OrbitMonkey

^ Ok, so I guess this signals the end of the world right?

39. lexph3re

No it. Just shows how. Everyone was wrong about his linear views

40. RETARDED VIKING

Funny thing i haven’t had to replace my 360 yet, but my PS3 broke down on me once, wasn’t considering on buying a new one until Demon’s Soul came to the US.

41. OrbitMonkey

^ Lol, I’ve never had a 360 break on me, but on my 3rd ps3! 40gb had a fan go & my 1st slim got nerfed by a update :D

42. OlderGamer

My first xb360(launch) got RRoD.

I sent it in, they sent me another one, I bought a second one, and one of my sons bought himself his own system. All of them still going.

I am on my second PS3.

No regreats owning either system.

The Wii on the other hand has not broken yet…though I sometimes wish it would(Damn the wife and her WiiFit!!)