Survey: Kids more interested in iDevices than consoles

Tuesday, 23rd November 2010 14:29 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ipad2

You can take your consoles and piss off with them. iDevices are the real deal.

According to a survey from research group Nielsen, 29 percent of 6-12 year-olds want an iPod Touch, with 31 percent wanting an iPad.

In massive contrast, though, only 12 percent wanted a 360, 14 percent wanted a PSP, 18 percent a Wii, 21 percent a PS3 and 25 percent a DS.

It was also discovered that out of the two motion controllers for PS3 and 360, Move was most-wanted with 17 percent. Only 14 percent of children wanted Kinect.

The survey was done before Microsoft dropped its massive marketing campaign for Kinect, however.

Thanks, GI.

[Pic]

1. Psychotext

Kids like expensive shit… go figure. :D

2. Blerk

That’s probably because most of those kids already have 360s, PS3s, Wiis, PSPs and DSes.

Mine wants a new PC so he can play Minecraft better. Screw motion-control nonsense and Apple price-rape, he says. Probably. :-D

3. Gama_888

oh these kids today xD

4. Johnny Cullen

Blerk – You’ve taught your kid well.

5. cookiejar

I can more or less see the appeal of an iPad or iPod touch over something portable like a PSP or DS ( I play games on my iPhone way more than my PSP now) but a home console would be a totally different kettle of fish.

6. typeface

Keyword ‘want’. Kids want a lot of things, the chances of them getting what they want ‘for themselves’ and not for the whole family or to share with siblings quite low really unless there’s a lot of disposable income involved.

It’s akin to asking them what do you want to be when you grow up and treating that as an indicator of what they’ll actually become.

7. DBZ0wnz

That’s sad, the orginal gameboy should make a comeback.

8. G1GAHURTZ

Face it.

Console gaming is old hat…

It’s practically vinyl.

These new whiz kids with their new fangled thingamatron-doodlewotsit-iMessenger-pads are where it’s at.

9. theevilaires

ipad is becoming very popular. Soon schools are going to being using them I think. Apple may be pricey for their tech but these guys get it. Plus is it just me or do they have some of the best displays on a computer ever. That 27″ iMAC is gorgeous almost bought it last night.

If anyone here has one do you recommend me getting it.

10. wishdokta

Survey on 6 year old. Earth, what are you doing.

11. Johnny Cullen

TEA – Right now. Don’t buy any computers, desktop or laptop, from Apple.

*is on a vendetta*

12. anuekr

You can take your Icraps and piss off with them. consoles are the real deal.

13. Michael O’Connor

I have better things to spend my money on than ridiculously overpriced hardware with needlessly locked out software.

Pity these kid’s parents probably don’t have as much common sense.

14. ivycrew707

Was this survey done at an iSTORE? Or Gamestop?

15. OrbitMonkey

When I was 6 all I wanted was a Battle Cat for my He-Man…. Sigh….*gets walking stick*

16. jevonski

Pfft getting an Adam when it comes out Android over iOS anyday.

17. G1GAHURTZ

BATTLE CAT WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOL!!!!!!!!!

18. theevilaires

But Johnny why?! Why are Apple products priced like that. I stood there for about an hour playing with the thing. The displays are greater and crisper than anything you get on your average monitor or screen for PC and laptops but despite that I see no other reason for the elitism pricing.

It came down to the $1,699 27″ iMAC or the $1,999 55″ 1080P 240HZ 3DHD Sony Bravia (Both from Best Buy)

I do know that Apple has its dedicated follower fan base and they only buy Apple products when it comes to digital goods. Its just funny how no one could tell me any major difference from similar products that were not Apple.

P.S. still may sneak off and get a Mac Pro Book today. Sick of hearing the guys from the DLB podcast worship theirs and I’m left clueless as to why.

19. jevonski

@theevilaires oh the macbook pro is awesome with windows installed on it :D its what I did anyway.

20. G1GAHURTZ

Aha!

But now you have no Windows key!

The joke’s on you! Mwahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!

21. NoxNoctisUmbra

Kids are retards, but then they grow up and will go back to Xbox Playstation or PC.

22. DaMan

I agree, bloody retards. how dare they? home games are a form of art and they drastically improve your mental abilities, as well as spiritually enlightening you, and being generally great for your health

….. mum, I’m so jealous cause I have this clumsy, glitchy Samsung phone, and everyone at college has an iPhone 4.

btw, always laughed at folks criticizing the lack of platform openness. why exactly would you need that on your portable gadget, apart from pirating games?

23. manamana

@TEA: got Apple for almost two decades now. I had all the shiet including amiga os, atari, unix, linux, beOS and of course windows from 3.0 to XP. As always it all boils down to likings, type of workflow and usage…

I actually have a power mac 2x4core 16gb ram etc., 1 iMac24″ (which is 4years old) and the i7 27″iMac. Let me clear this up for you: Apple never had a better mac than the i7iMac. Its a no brainer and I have running win7 on another partition effortlessly, with 8gb of ram.

Some may wondering if I am a superappleslave etc. Go on.
    I’m a professional photographer for the last 6 years, before that and with some overlap, I did graphics and webdesign. I’m enjoying the complete package of the iMac, while in my studio I got the power mac with an Eizo24″ and the old 30″cinemascreen. The software fits me just fine and I don’t have to worry about all the linux configuration and package and module handling. Nor do I have the windows stress, with everything complicated usage and popups one can imagine …

Listen people. No pun intended! To each their own!
    Just because you asked, TEA, I thought I give you something to chew on. :-D

24. theevilaires

thanks for your input manamana. I might as well get one to say i have one. If I become a mac user then apple has done something right…..but i will never like their shitty itunes or ipods EVER!