Report: Elder Scrolls V is “direct sequel to Oblivion”

Tuesday, 23rd November 2010 09:58 GMT By Patrick Garratt

oblivion2

Eurogamer Denmark’s reporting that a Bethesda rep has said Elder Scrolls V is not only in development, but that’s a straight sequel to Oblivion.

Going by this machine translation (via M2G), VO is currently underway.

The news comes from “a person involved in the game project.”

EG.dk says in the report that it isn’t going to drop any more details because of an NDA. Bethesda will be pleased about that.

Bethesda boss Todd Howard said at QuakeCon in August that a two-year project staffed by a team of 90 was to be announced soon, adding that the title is “pretty far along.”

The next Elder Scrolls game has been rumoured forever. It was supposed to be heading for an E3 announcement in June.

We were told back in January that the RPG is actually an MMO.

Sounds like we’ll know soon enough. Bethesda’s declined to comment on the story.

1. Blerk

Please don’t be an MMO. :-(

2. Patrick Garratt

I reckon it’ll just have “multiplayer elements”.

3. Patrick Garratt

Update. No comment.

4. locus2k1

dammit, now Ive got to go finish Oblivion… was at about 200+ hours last time I checked lol.

5. M2Kx

Direct sequel huh? I loved TES4 but I hated the mainquest >_>

6. Hunam

I just hope it’s not set in cyrodiil again, the setting was fairly boring compared to the almost alien vvardenfall of morrowind.

7. Elven_Star

Well, considering the number of stupid retards who actually pay for MMOs EACH MONTH, I can’t blame Bethesda. They just want to make money. It’s a shame though. I was really looking forward to this game, because I like Oblivion. God bless the Japanese. They still make quality games every now and then.

8. Suikoden Fan

i hope it doesnt use the scaled leveling anymore hated that in oblivion

oh ffs my first comment of today and i’m posting it too fast? fuck you

9. Gekidami

I hope “direct sequel” isnt just an excuse for them to reuse the same map from Oblivion.

10. freedoms_stain

@9, hope so too. But they can continue the story elsewhere.

11. scuz

please GOD let it be a new engine.

12. Hunam

I take it you don’t play MMO’s very often? I used to have an issue with the whole subscription thing, you you actually drop some money on an MMO and it’s fairly reasonable tbh, it’s something that generally only people who have not played a subs MMO moan about.

I’d settle for a diagonal run animation in 3RD person mode, but we still haven’t got that :S

13. Moonwalker1982

It MUST be a new engine, they had all the time to make a new one. They absolutely can’t come with the old engine from Oblivion, neither the updated one of Fallout 3, they just can’t.

Please no MMO though. I simply don’t want that. I don’t want to pay again for a game simply to play it online. It happens plenty of times that i just ain’t in the mood for gaming, and if i have paid for the whole month already, that’s a shame.

Until this one comes out, i can manage very well with the awesome Two Worlds II. It truly is an incredible difference compared to the first one.

14. Blerk

They have id’s Rage engine now, remember – seems unlikely they’d make another one internally. That said, it seems a bit soon for something Rage-based….

15. Maximum Unreal

@14 well maybe TES:5 come in late 2011 or 2012 who knows…

16. Shubb9

It says something that when I hear of a new game in a series I have loved is announced, my first feeling is not of excitement (which it obviously should be) but trepidation. ‘Oh god, not…’ etc.

17. lobstertails2000

I really dig it dude!

18. Bendu

They will use an updated Gamebryo engine. id’s Rage engine isn’t capable of a proper open world game.

19. Blerk

Isn’t Rage itself an open-world game?

20. Gekidami

^ I think it has areas broken up by loading screens. Not 100% sure, mind.

21. OrbitMonkey

@18 It can’t? I thought Rage was a proper open world game? It certainly looks the business…

22. Aimless

Going off past performance it’s Gamebryo that isn’t capable of a proper open world game.

I don’t think id Tech 5 is out of the question. RAGE might not be out yet but the engine itself was first shown off in 2007, and it’s feasible Bethesda were negotiating a licensing agreement with id before they bought them.

23. Bendu

AFAIK Rage will have a Mission-Hub structure. Sure, Gamebryos preformance isn’t the best, but still the engine can provide an open world game with proper RPG mechanics.

In this interview Todd Howard confirmed, that they will use an engine, which is based on Fallout 3.