Gran Turismo’s a “sterile, almost car collecting type of product,” says EA’s Soderlund

Tuesday, 23rd November 2010 16:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

needforspeedshifta2

EA’s senior VP Patrick Soderlund is of the belief the Shift franchise can “absolutely beat” Sony’s Gran Turismo series due to the former’s “authentic driving experience”.

Speaking in and interview with CVG, Soderlund believes Shift and Gran Turismo will share audiences to “some extent”, but there’s also folk who will only buy one or the other.

“If you look at the differences between the current games we have on the market, obviously Hot Pursuit and Gran Turismo, there is a big difference in those two products and they will share audiences to some extent,” he said. “But at the same time I would think that they also have non-overlapping significant audience that won’t buy Gran Turismo but will buy Need For Speed and obviously vice versa.”

“But if you compare Shift and Gran Turismo, I actually do see Shift as a direct competitor to Gran Turismo for sure. Honestly, my take on this. Would I want to compete with Gran Turismo on sheer scale – meaning number of cars and the depth that they have in the game? Probably not. What does make sense to me… I think they have a very sterile, almost car collecting type of product where that’s mainly what we do and I think we can offer something different.

“Our idea is that if we can offer the most authentic driving experience and portray what it feels like being inside a race car, then I think that’s where we can excel and where we absolutely will beat them. That I know for sure.”

Need for Speed Shift 2: Unleashed was announced last week and Gran Turismo 5 is out tomorrow, after what seem like ages.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Perhaps, but it’s fun, and it doesn’t have a bajillion game breaking bugs.

2. back_up

Ea are bunch of assholes.
    This entire gen EA has made ripped games either they copy from M$ or Sony.

3. robmlufc

Have a word… Shift was awful..

4. Razor

“Would I want to compete with Gran Turismo on sheer scale – meaning number of cars and the depth that they have in the game? Probably not.”

Sums it up quite nicely.

5. sebbie16

Shift was utter crap imo… and there is no way an arcade racer can be compared to a simulation game like the GT series. Its like comparing quake to call of duty for realism.

6. wildcrocodile

you wish EA! LOL!

7. EscoBlades

LOL! What a load of tosh.

@5: Well said!

8. Erthazus

Shift was an OK game. Not good and not bad. Just OK… Solid racing game.

9. typeface

Bad EA, Bad.
    Troll using HP, since at least that way you can say sim-racers aren’t as fun as arcade racers instead of hitting on FM and GT.

Only question I’d ask is does this mean next time when we access the in game store will we head to the Live marketplace instead of the PSN (reverse problem first time around :P).
    Shift was OK but too glitchy and middling with an identity crisis.

10. BrokenSymmetry

I thought NFS Shift was an incredible game (especially after the first patch). After experiencing the cockpit view in Shift, every other racing game just feels lifeless.
    Also, Shift has Spa-Francorchamps, which by itself is enough to make it superior.

11. G1GAHURTZ

Both the in-car view and the audio in NFS:Shift are the best I’ve ever seen in any racer, but the rest of the game is nowhere near as enjoyable.

12. pukem0n

talk about realism when every damn car in Shift was just drifting all the time ^^

13. NiceFellow

Why would you make a comment like this? Even if EA’s product is better – which I doubt – sheer brand is going to give GT the edge.

Shift’s going to be nowhere near it I suspect, certainly not on a single platform.

This is like when someone talks about their FPS doing better than CoD or Halo because they think this bit is deeper or that bit can be different. Makes no difference when you’re up against mass appeal and brand.

Basically, he’s just set the game up to be judged a failure when it doesn’t outsell GT5.

14. 2plus2equals5

Never played a gt but it’s my fear

15. OrbitMonkey

^ Well he’s trying to do 2 things. He’s trying to steal some of Gran Tourismo’s thunder, whilst promoting his 2 racers.

16. onlineatron

Seems an odd thing for him to say given EA’s and Sony’s relationship this gen.

I don’t really view first party exclusives as competition to third party multi-plats. The multi-platform game will always have a higher chance of selling due to it’s expanded user base.

17. Tallon 4

Played GT5 at a friend an hour ago ( streetdate already broken in Holland )Was a bit disappointing tbh. Cockpitview of SHIFT is better imo.
    Shadows on the cockpitview in GT5 are disturbing in my eyes.
    Getting the game nevertheless, but was expecting more.
    But maybe I was expecting too much…

18. Sardauk

I’m sure GM can do way better than Ferrari !!

19. Rah_Xephon

Competition says competitor’s new product is not as good as competition’s current product, or new forthcoming product, nor wants to compete in any meaningful way with competitor’s new product.

Hope that clears that up.

20. xxJPRACERxx

@5 I hope you’re not saying CoD is a “simulation”… The only difference between Quake and CoD is the setting. Both are arcade FPS.

A true “sim” FPS is ArmA. A game like Rainbow Six is less “sim” than ArmA but still much more than CoD.
    ———————————————————–
    Cockpit view in Shift is really, really good, except for the stupid blur effect and really bad HDR. And looking a screenshots from Shift 2 I think it’s worse.

21. Keivz

I loved nfs: shift but it certainly could use more tracks. Otherwise I agree with him.