50 million-selling PSP “doomed from the start,” says GoW dev

Friday, 19th November 2010 07:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psp3

Despite the fact PSP hardware has now sold 50.1 million units, as of Sony’s last financial release, Ready at Dawn co-founder Ru Weerasuriya has claimed the machine was “doomed from the start”.

Speaking to Edge (via CVG), the God of War PSP developer claimed the handheld was born to die.

“It was the first portable that Sony released – it’s a trial by fire,” he said. “It’s a good platform and you can make amazing things on it. I think that we’ve tried as much as possible to prove that in the last seven years.

“But it was doomed from the beginning, that’s its biggest problem,” he added.

In case you missed that: “It was doomed from the very get-go. There are some things which aren’t conductive to calling it a true portable gaming platform and calling it a connective platform, although it has wi-fi.

“There’s so many things that publishers and the manufacturer and Sony dropped the ball on – it’s natural, it’s the first one.”

Hopefully PSP2 will have a better stab at it. Check out first shots of the sequel’s dev kit here.

1. frostquake

Piracy Piracy Piracy!!!!

Just Finished Ghost of Sparta…One of the Best Games on the PSP if not the best!! I really love my PSP-1000…Just so sad that Piracy keeps all the Developers away from it…I listen to music on it, I keep Photos on it to show others, I read comics on it…I can’t do any of those things on my DSi!!!!

2. Goffee

Interesting new definition of the word “doomed”, someone call the OED. I see what he means about encouraging software devs, but hey – at least Sony will make PSP2 fiendishly difficult (I’d give it at least a week) to crack, if not fireproof via Jedi-level access restrictions.

3. chronoss2

the Hack is good cause it allows to do good extra stuff, but on the other hand people dont know that they are condemning themselves when they play games illegally.. illegal games means less games sales and that affects directly the interest of the publishers. I personally use the hack for 16-bits emulation only!

4. Erthazus

But for Sony 62 million seller is actually fucking success, because it’s a FIRST gaming handheld that had a success, when other failed when tried to compete with Ninty.

They can solve all problems and mistakes in this generation of portable consoles and if they are going to succeed.. :D

5. Eregol

I find all this very odd.
    It has a pretty big game library and a diverse range of titles.
    Plus Ready at Dawn have made some great games for it.
    This sort of comment could have the adverse effect of putting devs off of the PSP2.

6. DaMan

you know you’re fucked when even your second party devs say this kind of stuff.

7. Joe_Gamer

@frostquake

Ah piracy, the go to excuse of fanbois and PR Reps everywhere. Why bother making good games and fixing actual problems when you can just keep blaming piracy, the actual effects of which can’t possibly be measured/quantified. The perfect industry boogieman.

8. jevonski

eh I have 4 games for my DSi and 25+ umd games and around 30 more from the psn, it kicks ass don’t see how some people think it’s doomed with people like Sqeenix still making titles for it <.<