Wii Speak discontinued? Nintendo UK says no

Wednesday, 17th November 2010 12:17 GMT By Nathan Grayson

wii_speak

Nintendo UK has confirmed to EG it hasn’t discontinued Wii Speak.

It was thought the mic for the console - Nintendo’s attempt at a communal voice chat setup – looked set to be headed to the big peripheral closet in the sky following a “discontinued by manufacturer” listing on Amazon.

Driving the point home is word that Conduit 2 developer High Voltage has been told by Nintendo to avoid using Wii Speak for the shooter sequel.

The device – which debuted with Animal Crossing: City Folk – has been utilized sparingly ever since.

But nope, nothing happening. Yet.

1. onlineatron

You can call Nintendo if you like, but it’s foolish to assume Reggie Fils-Aime will sing for you ;)

2. naffgeek

Soon to be followed by that heart monitor thingy

3. Blerk

It was crap anyway, wasn’t it?

4. frostquake

EDIT: I will say this, The Voice Quality on it blows away Microsoft, and not having to wear a Headset and just being able to speak without a piece of plastic crap on your head pulling your hair, was very nice!

I use my Wii Speak all the time. I have several friends in the Gaming Industry and Retail, and it is a great way to send them a quick question, the Throbs blue when you get a message, and that way they don’t have to try and find it on their phone, since no one thinks to to use Wii Speak that way!

I also bought the Halloween Card program that came out on WiiWare and sent out Halloween Cards on the Wii along with Wii Speak of Holiday Happy Wishes.

I also use it to Upload Photographs and then Use Wii Speak to talk about the Photos.

I use Wii Speak on a Daily Basis, mostly because almost no one uses it, and since emails get lost or buried, phone messages get dropped or missed, this comes in handy at times!

The fact is NO ONE carried this product and to get it I had to buy a cheap copy of Endless Ocean 2 with it.

It had potential! Though Limited.

5. datamonkey

Discontinued or not – it’s not supported anyway!