Mass Effect 2 leads VGA nominations

Wednesday, 17th November 2010 15:55 GMT By Johnny Cullen

masseffect29

Spike’s just announced the nominations for this year’s Video Game Awards.

Mass Effect 2 leads the pack with ten nominations, followed by nine for Red Dead Redemption and seven for Call of Duty: Black Ops and Halo: Reach.

All of the titles above, as well as God of War III, will contend for the Game of the Year award.

It was also formally confirmed that Guillermo del Toro’s “franchise” with THQ will be unveiled at the event alongside Batman: Arkham City and the it’s-so-bloody-mysterious-no-one-knows-what-it-is new project from BioWare.

Some of the categories are below. There’s a full list at Joystiq.

GAME OF THE YEAR
“Call of Duty: Black Ops” (Activision/Treyarch)
“God of War III” (Sony Computer Entertainment/SCE Studios Santa Monica)
“Halo: Reach” (Microsoft/Bungie Studios)
“Mass Effect 2” (Electronic Arts/BioWare)
“Red Dead Redemption” (Rockstar Games/Rockstar San Diego)

STUDIO OF THE YEAR
BioWare
Blizzard Entertainment
Bungie Studios
Rockstar San Diego

BEST SHOOTER
“Battlefield: Bad Company 2” (Electronic Arts / DICE)
“BioShock 2” (2K Games / 2K Marin)
“Call of Duty: Black Ops” (Activision / Treyarch)
“Halo: Reach” (Microsoft / Bungie Studios)

BEST INDIVIDUAL SPORTS GAME
“EA Sports MMA” (Electronic Arts / EA Tiburon)
“Shaun White Skateboarding” (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal)
“Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11” (Electronic Arts / EA Tiburon)
“UFC Undisputed 2010” (THQ / Yuke’s Media Creations)

1. daytripper

Bioware are awesome!!

2. LearsXD

Really hope God of War III will take the cake, but I think with all the fanbase and fanboys that Mass Effect 2 or Red Dead will win all 3 great games but from production standpoint GOW 3 should win imo

3. Dark

NO VANQUISH?!!

@2 I agree.

4. Erthazus

“GAME OF THE YEAR
    “Call of Duty: Black Ops” (Activision/Treyarch)
    “God of War III” (Sony Computer Entertainment/SCE Studios Santa Monica)
    “Halo: Reach” (Microsoft/Bungie Studios)
    “Mass Effect 2” (Electronic Arts/BioWare)
    “Red Dead Redemption” (Rockstar Games/Rockstar San Diego)”

From all these nominations only God Of War III, Red Dead Redemption are worth this title.

Black Ops – Solid game that everyone expected
    Mass Effect 2 – Overhyped RPG hybrid with poor FPS Gears Of war mechanic, with absolutely horrible storyline that was taken from a lot of Sci-Fi movies such as Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Terminator and e.t.c.
    Halo:Reach – No comments.

From me the best game is Red Dead Redemption, but i know that Mass Effect II will win GOTY this year no doubt about that. but if it will take GOTY than it’s much better if COD or Halo will take it.

If Halo:Reach or COD will take this award i will eat my sock and shoot myself.

and WHERE IS SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2???

5. Hcw87

GoW 3 should have been swapped with Castlevania. Oh well, RDR beats it by miles anyway, but Reach or Black Ops will get it just because it’s Halo and CoD.

6. Gekidami

^ No, Castlevania is terrible in every possible way.

7. Hcw87

It did everything GoW did, just better. Don’t see how that makes it terrible.

8. Petulant Radish

@ 4, you forgot to add ‘in my opinion’ to that.

Also, if you wish to use etcetera in a sentence you do not need to put ‘and’ before it, nor put periods after each letter, only after the ‘c’. You can thank my when you pick up your Booker Man prize.

9. daytripper

hope call of duty doesnt get game of the year, a disgrace if it does imo

10. mathare92

Full list of nominees here http://www.spike.com/event/vga
    You can only vote for Most Anticipated title right now; I went for Bioshock Infinite :D

Overall, I think everyone cares more about what’s going to be announced on the night, rather than who wins what.

I say we have our own VG247 community Video Game Awards next month! :)

11. Erthazus

BEST SHOOTER
    “Battlefield: Bad Company 2” (Electronic Arts / DICE)
    “BioShock 2” (2K Games / 2K Marin)
    “Call of Duty: Black Ops” (Activision / Treyarch)
    “Halo: Reach” (Microsoft / Bungie Studios)

Best shooter is Battlefield: Bad Company 2 without even a competition. I don’t see any shooter this year that pushed the boundaries such as “DESTRUCTION”, sound, gameplay, graphics. 24 players on console and 32 players on PC.

but Halo:Reach will win this anyway. Because with money we vote.
    Don’t know what bioshock 2 is doing there…

@Petulant Radish, “you forgot to add ‘in my opinion’ to that.”

It is always my opinion and it can be wrong always.

“Also, if you wish to use etcetera in a sentence”

thank you. My english is really bad :( Now i know how to use THAT properly.

12. Dark

@9 call of duty will get
    Garbage Of The Year.

13. DaMan

Spike TV.. it’s merely another popularity contest, based on users’ votes. which is why there’s no Bayonetta or Super Mario Galaxy 2.

14. Petulant Radish

@11, wow, well done. You’ve admitted your opinion might differ from someone else’s, you are on the road to being a well rounded human being.

I wasn’t having a go at your English, just pointing something out for you old chap.

15. OlderGamer

Funny how no JP games are on that list.

16. naffgeek

Limbo!!

The game, that’s not a suggestion.

17. Erthazus

I still have no clue… Where is Super Mario Galaxy 2? The highest rated game on meta? It’s not my game of the year, but it have the BEST production value this year. Even if i’m not in to the Mario.

someone just want Halo or Mass Effect 2 to hit. Two turds just for the sake of PR as always.

18. freedoms_stain

@10, FUCK! How am I supposed to choose between Portal 2 and Batman?

FUUUUUCK!

19. Erthazus

@10, “You can only vote for Most Anticipated title right now;”

all games are amazing.

and where is Gran Turismo 5? Thats just insane.

20. naffgeek

ooooh most anticipated.

I go for Batman, no…Gears 3, no…Child of Eden, no…LA Noire, No…Mass Effect 3, No….Max Payne 3…ARGH!!!

Fuck it…Batman, final answer.

Oh i see there’s a list…still Batman.

21. reask

Multi player has to be taken in to account when talking about games like reach and black ops.
    I imagine most of the gamers who bought either have done so for the multi more than the sp.

Having said that I started sp on black ops and so far have been pleasantly surprised by it.

22. Johnny Cullen

I’m gonna question why BioShock Infinite is in the most antcipated game category? Wouldn’t it not be for games out next year and not for those at least two years away?

23. RETARDED VIKING

WOW what sadistic bastard put all those awesome looking games in the most anticipated categorie? my head will explode picking only one………

24. Gheritt White

ME2 should win absolutely everything it’s been nominated for… apart from (possibly) best PC game.

25. Erthazus

and where is Minecraft?

I guess Notch could not buy a place for the award.

26. OrbitMonkey

@25 Good call on Minecraft, there’s a lot of love for that game. It’s been downloaded by what? A million plus people?

27. Claymore

Lol, it would be funny to see a One-man-made game winning best PC game against “AAA millions of dollars and lots of people” title.

Not that it would be unfair, I’m highly addicted to Minecraft.

@News: Go BioWare, haters gonna hate.

28. No_PUDding

To be honest though, I’m disappointed both ME2 and RDR can’t be joint GOTY.

I recorgnise ME2 has worked really well, and look forwrad to playing it myself, but Red Dead was just wholly superb and enthralling.

29. DaMan

did anyone even think it could ‘ve been any different on SpikeTV? Bioware put so much effort into streamlining the game and appealing to the Gears crowd that it would ‘ve been nuts if the masses weren’t satisfied.

30. xino

it’s a farking joke!

31. LOLshock94

fuck u castvania is fucking awesome and its 4 times longer then GOW3 so FUCK YOU

32. M2Kx

God of War 3 = GOTY? I lol hard :D

Actually none of this games is worth it imo. Maybe ME2 but just because I didn’t play it yet.

btw: Castlevania is really great, I think I enjoyed it most this year.

33. Kuwabara

“LOLshock94″ So ud rather fuck a granny for an hr then a milf for 15 minutes?

34. AHA-Lambda

wow i predicted every goty nominee there except…

*looks again*