Remedy looking for Kinect programmer to work on “next iteration” Wake engine

Monday, 15th November 2010 18:15 GMT By Patrick Garratt

alanwake5

Remedy’s seeking a motion control programmer for its “AAA console project” for 360, to work on “next iteration of Remedy’s unique game engine that was previously used in Alan Wake.”

The job ad’s here.

The Finish developer’s looking for someone with “experience on motion-control technology (e.g. Kinect)”.

While no one knows the identity of the game – which was first mentioned in October – the assumption is that it’s Alan Wake 2.

Remedy’s made it no secret it wants to do a sequel, but hasn’t announced the title.

The closest there’s been to an definite was an interview with the developer in August.

“With Microsoft Game Studios it’s Xbox exclusive, or it’s Xbox and PC,” the studio’s head of franchise Oskari Hakkinen said.

“For both our publisher Microsoft and for Remedy, we’re still in a launch phase [for Alan Wake 1].”

Despite less than expected sales for the game in the US, Remedy still remains optimistic about the future of the IP, saying it does “have legs.”

“The word of mouth phenomenon is very apparent with Alan Wake. There has been a growing interest in the title and it certainly seems to ‘have legs’ to sustain,” Hakkinen told VG247 in July.

Alan Wake released back in May for Xbox 360 after five years in development, with two DLC episodes, The Signal and The Writer, following.

1. Patrick Garratt

Maybe it’ll have motion controls for flagging down a next-gen phantom tractor.

2. cookiejar

As long as its not writing a page of one of his novels. With your finger.

3. XDamage

I kinda feel sorry for the developers who are tasked with making a “hardcore” Kinect game.

Still, there are some bright heads out there, so we will see what happens down the line.

4. Patrick Garratt

@2 – That’s awesome. I hope you’re reading this, Remedy.

5. Gekidami

Lets hope they fix the engine up abit. For a single platform game financed and published by the platform holder, it had some inexcusable issues.

6. NiceFellow

Given it’s just out and there’s only been one wave of titles, aren’t they being a bit hopeful that someone with Kinect experience will be kicking around looking for a job?

Also, not sure about this concept. I guess they’re thinking a hybrid title (I hope they are as I can’t imagine a full on Kinect only version) but even then what can they sensibly add with Kinect?

Do they want us to stand and pretend we’re holding a torch? I really hope not.

7. artursz1993

i cant imagine, how I will mowe ingame :D Luckily I dont own kinect :D

8. Psychotech

I can’t wait to see how’s this will turn out.I’m hyped for a Kinect GTA though :P

9. Blerk

Ach, Gods! Optional, please!