Tim Schafer on Psychonauts 2: “I’m ready to do it”

Friday, 12th November 2010 03:55 GMT By Nathan Grayson

psychonauts

Ready and willing – but not quite able.

Yet.

“I’m ready to do it. I’d love to do it. It’s really a question of getting a publisher who’s interested in doing it,” Schafer told PSM3 (via CVG).

Ahead of its time, not mass-market material, an under appreciated gem – call it whatever you want. The fact is, Psychonauts’ initial release was – by all accounts – a flop. Over time, however, the game’s seeped into the very fabric of gamer culture, and its stock has risen to near-legendary status. As a result, Schafer thinks now is as good of a time as any for a sequel.

“Over the years it’s gotten into the hands of a lot of people, through being two dollars on Steam for a while, and being pirated. So it’s gotten out there. So if all these people were going to buy the sequel it would be a big hit,” he explained.

You heard the man, publishers. Lavish him with gifts of chocolates, flowers, and – perhaps most importantly – money. Make this happen and bring at least a tiny ray of happiness back to a cold, dark world that will probably never see a Brutal Legend sequel.

1. onlineatron

I’M READY FOR HIM TO DO IT AS WELL!

2. LordCancer

fun minus the hidden collectathon from hell.

3. The_Deleted

There goes the internet. Been a blast, people.

4. Virginityrocks

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG

5. OrbitMonkey

He will make it! It will be awesome! No one will buy it.

6. YoungZer0

I really hope he’s going for some kind of cel-shading style or something. Because the first one was one ugly motherfucker.

7. Freek

Brutal Legend would only deserve a sequal if it dropped all the gameplay mechanics and started over fresh.
    Third person action adventure and RTS are two genres that should not be mixed.

8. AHA-Lambda

one of the most overrated games i’ve ever played >_>

9. The_Red

Then you most be living in the Bizarro world because its one of the most underrated games ever made.

10. Badger

@8 and 9 Somehow it seems to be equally both.

Coincidentally I literally only yesterday signed the petition for Psychonauts 2.

I knew they were watching me *shifty eyes*

11. Len

Please let it happen. Just a brilliant brilliant bit of software that with so many amazing ideas that just creased me up in places. Would love to see more…but as to any publishers going for it, who knows…?

12. NeoSquall

I’d buy it pronto!

13. LOLshock94

all his games are soo fucking short and the gameplay sucks stop making shitty fucking games