The cover for the next Game Informer issue has hit the net, with the December issue landing in mail boxes, it has loads of folks speculating that a teaser within may be related to the next entry into the Tomb Raider franchise.
Seen above, the tease shows a shipwreck. Now, what’s making folks think it’s a new Lara Croft game is due to two things.
One – It says “A Survivor is Born” in the ad posted in the magazine, and there’s a website up with the same name with a reveal set for the December 6 release of GI, which will be the January issue.
Two – Some concept art and information leaked last year by Fourplayercop has Lara Croft shipwrecked on a “mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan”.
When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows. With only her determination, inner strength and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island’s past. As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limited and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.
- Hunt or be Hunted: Evade, outsmart, track and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.
- Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend yourself as you fight to survive the visceral one-on-one melee combat.
- Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns and the hunter’s ultimate weapon, the bow.
- Creative Survival: React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options.
- Free Movement: Scramble up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid-air to land a misdirected jump. There is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.
- One Cohesive World: the diverse multi-region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather, and natural events.
- Origin Story: This new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring the origin of Lara Croft’s transformation into a hardened adventurer as you unravel the story behind the island’s mysterious past.
We’ll send Eidos and Square a mail, you can be sure of that.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.